Class Wrestling?????

devildog47959

I just checked the populations by state on wikipedia for 2008 of our neighboring states.

Illinois - 12,901,563

Pennsylvania - 12,448,279

Ohio - 11,485,910

Michigan - 10,003,422

Indiana - 6,376,792

Kentucky - 4,269,245

You like to point out how big schools have advantages over small schools with enrollment.  Do you think it's feasible that there's a connection with state population with wrestling quality as well?

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the biggest things we battle is the number of 3 sport athletes.  A great point was made earlier about kids working hard  in the off season to get better (small or big school).  Small school kids can compete individually with Big school kids, nobody is doubting that.  When you have kids playing baseball, running track, soccer, or golf its hard to pick up those extra matches in the summer, which tends to affect the smaller schools a little bit more.  Not that Big schools don't have to battle 3 sport athletes, I would just assume it wouldn't be the same percentage.

I would love to hear from the side of a big school....do you guys have this problem alot?

Here at Warren, we have a few kids from the football team, only one on varsity that I know of. and a few kids that were on jv for both, or freshmen. Once they begin to excel at football, there is some pressure to work on that alot more. We even had one kid that is a varsity wrestler get put in a room full of football players for a weight lifting class, and the coach was upset with him because he did not want to do the bulk building stuff his football players were doing. And this is from a football coach that came to us from the Evansville area, you would think he would have realized that in the middle of wrestling season, it might not be the best thing to be working on building bulk.

Most of the 2 sport athletes that we have are football/track. A few football/baseball. That is about it. I think at a small school, the pressure is different because you are a great athlete, and could help most any sport team you were on, so all the coaches are trying to get you to go out for their team, wheras at a large school, it seems to be the one coach that you are a star  for wants you all to himself.

I know that football coach and that seems odd that he wants people to not do bulk lifting. Though i know that when he was here his football players who wrestled were 189, 215, and HWT.

When you are a middle weight, 125 up through 152, bulk may not be the best for you during the season though. He had a very hard time grasping that situation tyhat the kid was actually trying to cut weight. Bulk on the football team, great, bulk on the wrestling mat, not so much.

When you are a middle weight, 125 up through 152, bulk may not be the best for you during the season though. He had a very hard time grasping that situation tyhat the kid was actually trying to cut weight. Bulk on the football team, great, bulk on the wrestling mat, not so much.

Couldnt agree more... it was hard trying to bulk for football and then cut back for wrestlting.... though the agilities we did for season helped in wrestling

It's pretty crazy to think about the research that is done over this subject.....I bet if we all got together and said we were gonning to find the cure for cancer, there would be no more cancer! lol

No, 1/2 of us would want the research to go in one direction, the other 1/2 would want it to go in another.  ;D

I was actually just looking up the populations as well on Wikipedia.  Maybe the reason Illinois, Penn, and Ohio need classes is because they have twice as many wrestlers if it follows the population.

http://garrettwrestling.com/statebreakdown.html

These other states have less schools per class, but they are still better than us.  Look at Illinois' small schools and how they do against our second tier guys every year.  They still beat our kids on a regular basis.

I want a yes or no answer to this question. Do bigger schools have a distinct advantage over small schools due to the size of their student body?

I am confused as you stated in one sentence that they do, but in another one, state that they do not.

Yes.

I still would vote no to class wrestling.  Unless it can be classed only for the team side then no way am I for it.

The other thing here is we dont have to many kids on the football team that could be in any weight class under 171. So the spots are somewhat limited. Unlike some of the smaller schools that have quite a few kids from 140 and up playing football. That in itself is going to limit the number of kids. Anyone under that size here has already come to the conclusion that they will never see the field so they either quit sports, or gravitate to another sport. But since we are usually a fairly decent football team, and dreams die hard,  those kids stick with it through middle school and maybe their freshman year before they decide to stop trying to make the field. If they come out for wrestling we dont see them until their freshman, or sophmore year.

They could still play soccer or run cross country if they are smaller kids.  I would honestly say at Garrett 85% of the athletes are multiple sport athletes.  You can't say that at Warren Central.

http://garrettwrestling.com/statebreakdown.html

These other states have less schools per class, but they are still better than us.  Look at Illinois' small schools and how they do against our second tier guys every year.  They still beat our kids on a regular basis.

thats freaking awesome.....i'll be looking at that all night!

How much wrestling culture do you think Iowa, Oklahoma, Minnesota, Wisconsin have when compared to Indiana right now?

They kick our buts in that respect.. Basketball is more popular, that movie Hoosiers doesn't help either lol

And people in Indiana still live off the dream of that movie that took place in the 1950's.  We have not progressed our ways of thinking past the 1950's like most states have.  We would still have segregation if we still thought the way we did in the 50's.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.