4th place out of regional

anchorwrestler

It would be interesting to see how many regional champs qualify for state this year and compare to previous years.  Speaking from experience, having a 1st round match will only benefit regional champs in my opinion.  Personally, I'd like to see sectionals and regionals combined.  I think the regional round provides little substance, considering there's only 2 sectionals per regional.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Combining sectional and regionals would make a very long sectional day that much longer. We were not done until 6:30 at Warren, and I know a few of the other sites were much later. And if you had a full bracket, you would exceed the 5 match per day limit.

Combining sectional and regionals would make a very long sectional day that much longer. We were not done until 6:30 at Warren, and I know a few of the other sites were much later. And if you had a full bracket, you would exceed the 5 match per day limit.

Make it 2 days then, problem fixed.

but that would probably be such a pain to go through

and expensive, since you would have to stay in town over night

i dont like that idea personally

Its ridiculous, this is watering down semi-state and what it means to be a semi-state qualifier.  Some kids work their butts off to be just a semi-state qualifier, now we are adding 56 more and it will mean less to be a semi-state qualifier.

:)

Don't hold back man, let it out. ;D

For all of you that think taking a 4th place finisher is watering down semi-state, I suggest we go back to the way it was in the late 60's and early 70's..21 team two day sectionals advance ONE, 4 man regionals, advance ONE, four guys at STATE. Compared to that, everything in the modern era is watered down. What's the difference of having 4 more matches per weight class per semi-state, you can bet there WILL BE some regional champions beaten. There are ALWAYS semi-state champs beaten at STATE, so why not at this level?

I agree, I hate seeing the losers wrestle!  I want a super sectional of 32 teams, with on the champ surviving.  Then the champ advances to state with only 8 qualifiers for state.

Y2,

Although I greatly appreciate all the work you do for this site and the betterment of the image of Indiana wrestling, I fail to see how your argument would benefit the wrestlers.  I feel it would hinder some of the better wrestlers from getting the opportunity to be seen by many college coaches during our state tournament.

D2, D3, and other levels of college teams are not always going to go after the kids at the top of the podium.  With the limited recruiting funds available to many of these coaches, they look at state tournaments as a prime opportunity to come into contact with a lot of quality wrestlers at one time.

The opportunities that we can give these kids would certainly be increased by the amount of exposure they have.

but that would probably be such a pain to go through

and expensive, since you would have to stay in town over night

i dont like that idea personally

I have to disagree with this logic. How many tournaments are ran through the regular season that are 2 day events? Examples: Al Smith and Spartan Classics, which are 32 team tournaments, are ran pretty smoothly for being 2 day tourneys. Plus, I think most schools are within a 40-50 minute driving range of their regional site. So I think running a 2 day sectional, with roughly 20 teams, isn't more problematic than having a sectional and regional over a 2 week span.

D2, D3, and other levels of college teams are not always going to go after the kids at the top of the podium.  With the limited recruiting funds available to many of these coaches, they look at state tournaments as a prime opportunity to come into contact with a lot of quality wrestlers at one time.

The opportunities that we can give these kids would certainly be increased by the amount of exposure they have.

Sounds like a strong argument for class wrestling.

Sounds like a strong argument for class wrestling.

Or expanding the State Finals anyway.  Maybe this would be the strongest argument for having wrestlebacks as well.  Giving kids more opportunities to showcase their skills to college coaches.

I don't mind adding the fourht palce finsher to the semi state.  My thought is there are some regionals that have very loaded weigh classes and some that are not as strong.  I heard this was  bad idea to add third place winners back in 1986.  It didn't hurt Lance lance from Wawasee he won the whole thing and a bad case of the flu and I ended up a disapointed third and won the semi state as well as placed third that year a hunderd years ago.  The first round bye always had me sweating at the semi state as a coach.  Of course we would all like to see wrestle-backs.

I agree, I hate seeing the losers wrestle!  I want a super sectional of 32 teams, with on the champ surviving.  Then the champ advances to state with only 8 qualifiers for state.

Y2, is someone using your screen name?  This doesn't sound like the guy that is in it for the kids or the sport.  I HATE SEEING LOSERS WRESTLE???? I can't believe that you would write something like that.  The beautiful thing about wrestling is that hard work, determination and having the mental toughness to get back up and fight harder next time ALWAYS levels out the playing field.  Let em wrestle!!! Combine the sectionals!! Wrestle till midnight!!  They should have FULL wrestle backs at semi state...I'll stay at the colleseum all night long if my kid has a shot.  Why do you think they have the wrestle back format for NCAA set up the way it is? SO THOSE LOSERS CAN WRESTLE.  I'm sure that you are one of the guys that go have a bite to eat and a cold beverage during consolations.  That's where some hard fought ALL AMERICANS are made.  Same goes for our high school wrestlers.  And, if you say the quality of wrestling at some of the regionals is WATERED DOWN, I'll lose it!  Get these kids some mat time, get these kids opportunities.  No matter what the level.

It is set up on two days now. We call the 1st day sectionals, and we call the 2nd day regionals.

Problem fixed.

yah you should, take care of your self and you wont get sick. If you get hurt it sucks but you have to let it go or wrestle hurt. No free rides.

Vitamin C! & Flintstones always works!  adding some extra iron in your diet...can't hurt.  Oh and showering, that helps too! lol (for those who tend to pick up the mat fungus'!)  Wrestle hurt......I agree, unless your dying....NO FREE RIDES, I like that!

It is set up on two days now. We call the 1st day sectionals, and we call the 2nd day regionals.

Problem fixed.

Then why wrestle it over a span of 2 weeks, when it'd be easier on the kids and less time consuming to do it in just 2 days?

Y2, is someone using your screen name?  This doesn't sound like the guy that is in it for the kids or the sport.  I HATE SEEING LOSERS WRESTLE???? I can't believe that you would write something like that.  The beautiful thing about wrestling is that hard work, determination and having the mental toughness to get back up and fight harder next time ALWAYS levels out the playing field.  Let em wrestle!!! Combine the sectionals!! Wrestle till midnight!!  They should have FULL wrestle backs at semi state...I'll stay at the colleseum all night long if my kid has a shot.  Why do you think they have the wrestle back format for NCAA set up the way it is? SO THOSE LOSERS CAN WRESTLE.  I'm sure that you are one of the guys that go have a bite to eat and a cold beverage during consolations.  That's where some hard fought ALL AMERICANS are made.  Same goes for our high school wrestlers.  And, if you say the quality of wrestling at some of the regionals is WATERED DOWN, I'll lose it!  Get these kids some mat time, get these kids opportunities.  No matter what the level.

heck yes , this would give the lower classman mat time and help them better there self for the next year

Its ridiculous, this is watering down semi-state and what it means to be a semi-state qualifier.  Some kids work their butts off to be just a semi-state qualifier, now we are adding 56 more and it will mean less to be a semi-state qualifier.

:)

Don't hold back man, let it out. ;D

you dont think the kids that got fourth dont work there butt off to,

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.