Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tskin

Practice this week

Recommended Posts

So how many are running into the problem of not being allowed to hold a practice?  I was notified by our AD today that we couldn't practice because of the weather and was notified a few hours ago that tomm is a no go as well!! 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So how many are running into the problem of not being allowed to hold a practice?  I was notified by our AD today that we couldn't practice because of the weather and was notified a few hours ago that tomm is a no go as well!! 

 

 

 

I am sure it is going to be a challenge for all the teams in the SW corner of the state given the amount of ice we have.

 

Heck it's Sectional Time...Ice and Snow seem to always appear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So 30 minutes south is just the same as here.  AD advised us to not have it today (we already canceled right before) and said the same about tomorrow.  If the weather isn't awful in by the afternoon we may try to practice at 4 with the small group that can make it.  Otherwise it looks like Thursday and Friday are mostly clear and we will just have to make up for lost time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So 30 minutes south is just the same as here.  AD advised us to not have it today (we already canceled right before) and said the same about tomorrow.  If the weather isn't awful in by the afternoon we may try to practice at 4 with the small group that can make it.  Otherwise it looks like Thursday and Friday are mostly clear and we will just have to make up for lost time.

 

We are still getting Freezing Rain here...it isn't supposed to stop until sometime tomorrow afternoon.  Main roads are marginal at best, side roads are just not worth the effort of trying.  Hopefully things will settle down tomorrow afternoon and we can all get back to the important stuff, like Wrestling!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am just curious how many of these administrators would cancel practice the week before sectionals for basketball and or football. The coach had to argue for it yesterday here. In the end they decided to allow the wrestling team hold the practice.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The AD did have a little pull today considering it was ice and snow none stop for most of the day and the county is under a snow emergency.  We were smart enough to notice the weather was going to be bad and opted cancel practice even before the AD said something about it.  On a normal snow day the AD rule is no sport can not practice before 2 to ensure the roads are safe and the practice still can not be mandatory for all sports.  I would hope the AD would have the common sense every sport the same since this is done for the safty of the kids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We arent going to be able to get on the mats until thursday atleast...and the AD isnt budging. Well i have a question, i know that they redid the weather cancellation and weight allowance section in the rules, so is there anything that says how much weight is given for the week of cancellations or the day before. Is there any weight that is going to be given?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're still 2hour delay, but it looks pretty likely that they will close. I hate that during Sectional week, but can't get the kids in a wreck for the sake of practice. I don't think there is any weight allowance for a school cancellation since it doesn't involve a meet through the week, but I'm hoping I'm wrong.

Still not complaining, we have snow, not the ice.

By Sat we'll all be on our 2nd cup at this hour, nervous, anxious and mad because we can't find our lucky socks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our AD will only allow us to have "Volunteer " practice on no school days.....we have yet to be told we are not allowed to have any pratice this season for any reason! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We couldn't have it yesterday and today, lets hope they can get  in the room tomorrow or there will probably be some kids missing weight. 10 inches of snow here south of Indy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We arent going to be able to get on the mats until thursday atleast...and the AD isnt budging. Well i have a question, i know that they redid the weather cancellation and weight allowance section in the rules, so is there anything that says how much weight is given for the week of cancellations or the day before. Is there any weight that is going to be given?

 

There is only a 1 lb. allowance if one team is unable to practice the DAY BEFORE a competition.  And the Coach or AD must notify the host school's AD or Coach to let them know that they were unable to practice and that the 1 lb. allowance is in effect.  It does not matter if the whole week is cancelled, just the day before the competition.  So therefore this week the only practice that matters to the rule is Friday's practice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We arent going to be able to get on the mats until thursday atleast...and the AD isnt budging. Well i have a question, i know that they redid the weather cancellation and weight allowance section in the rules, so is there anything that says how much weight is given for the week of cancellations or the day before. Is there any weight that is going to be given?

 

There is only a 1 lb. allowance if one team is unable to practice the DAY BEFORE a competition.  And the Coach or AD must notify the host school's AD or Coach to let them know that they were unable to practice and that the 1 lb. allowance is in effect.  It does not matter if the whole week is cancelled, just the day before the competition.  So therefore this week the only practice that matters to the rule is Friday's practice.

 

Thanks, i knew that part i guess it was just wishful thinking that there was something else in there...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A good rest might do you good...it sure does me!!!

 

 

ff

 

For someone who buzzes around and saves the world, you probably need a good rest every once in a while.

Where did you come up with that one ce. Have to admit that brought a little smile to my face. With my big belly I don't quite buzz around anymore, it's more like a turtle trying to walk up a muddy bank... with more rest than walking.

 

 

 

ff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There should be an IHSAA rule about practice the week of the tournament series if school is cancelled.  Some schools can practice and some can not practice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We arent going to be able to get on the mats until thursday atleast...and the AD isnt budging. Well i have a question, i know that they redid the weather cancellation and weight allowance section in the rules, so is there anything that says how much weight is given for the week of cancellations or the day before. Is there any weight that is going to be given?

 

There is only a 1 lb. allowance if one team is unable to practice the DAY BEFORE a competition.  And the Coach or AD must notify the host school's AD or Coach to let them know that they were unable to practice and that the 1 lb. allowance is in effect.  It does not matter if the whole week is cancelled, just the day before the competition.  So therefore this week the only practice that matters to the rule is Friday's practice.

 

Actually, this is not completely accurate.  The allowance can be as much as two pounds if two consecutive days of practice are not able to be held before the competition.  Also, the 48 hour advance notice is not required.

 

See the posting in Ask the Official section to see the "official" IHSAA interpretation of this rule as it applies to Sectionals.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We arent going to be able to get on the mats until thursday atleast...and the AD isnt budging. Well i have a question, i know that they redid the weather cancellation and weight allowance section in the rules, so is there anything that says how much weight is given for the week of cancellations or the day before. Is there any weight that is going to be given?

 

There is only a 1 lb. allowance if one team is unable to practice the DAY BEFORE a competition.  And the Coach or AD must notify the host school's AD or Coach to let them know that they were unable to practice and that the 1 lb. allowance is in effect.  It does not matter if the whole week is cancelled, just the day before the competition.  So therefore this week the only practice that matters to the rule is Friday's practice.

 

Actually, this is not completely accurate.  The allowance can be as much as two pounds if two consecutive days of practice are not able to be held before the competition.  Also, the 48 hour advance notice is not required.

 

See the posting in Ask the Official section to see the "official" IHSAA interpretation of this rule as it applies to Sectionals.

 

 

The 48 hour notice is not required in the event of weather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rule states "situations due to school policy" which is broader than "weather".

 

While the requirement for advance notice is not in the rule, I would hope that the schools and the tournament directors would communicate as best they can so that everyone is targeting the same weight and avoid the issue of a wrestler being underweight at Sectional because of an additional pound (or two) allowance they didn't know about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you guys should go to the "sectional" topic on the discussion board

its all cleared up on that thread

 

by the way, where is secret santa.all this snow must have him thinkin its christmas again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.