Starting Weight Class Difference Maker?

Y2CJ41

Since high school wrestling now goes to a random draw, do you think that where the dual has an affect on the outcome in matches with evenly matched teams? 

I know for my team in particular, we would rather start at certain weights to get the momentum going and the times we started where our strengths lie we have had more success. 

I think it makes a difference... if you can get an early lead with your better wrestlers, then some of your not so great wrestlers know that all they have to do is not get pinned or teched. Thus making it harder for the other team to make their comeback.

It would depend on the weight selected but yes I think if you can start with one of your stronger wrestlers and get some momentum for the rest of the team it can really set the tone for the meet. If you can come out and get 2-3 wins to start, then the guys following them wrestle a bit harded, fight for that take down just a bit harder, not wanting to be the 1st to lose.  However, if one of your "studs" gets beat, the oposite can happen. The team says wow, he got beat, what chance do the rest of us have.

Now an interesting idea would be to allow the home team select the starting weight, that would be an interesting topic.

Momentum in wrestling is overrated.  Momentum is only as good as your next wrestler. 

I think the starting weight makes the coaches coach differently and puts teams in different situations.  It does bring more excitement, but the better teams usually wins, no matter what weight you start at.

Momentum in wrestling is overrated.  Momentum is only as good as your next wrestler. 

I think the starting weight makes the coaches coach differently and puts teams in different situations.  It does bring more excitement, but the better teams usually wins, no matter what weight you start at.

Well said AJ.

I think it makes a difference... if you can get an early lead with your better wrestlers, then some of your not so great wrestlers know that all they have to do is not get pinned or teched. Thus making it harder for the other team to make their comeback.

thats true

I think it definately can be a difference maker, and it goes back to momentum. Take last night for example. Mater Dei at Reitz. Packed house and they are loud. Mater Dei gets to start with their best wrestler at 140 and probably second best at 145. Tech fall and pin and it got the team and crowd pumped. Next up was King at 152 and many expected him to get tech falled or beat badly, instead he gets the decision. I guarantee those first 2 guys got him more pumped than if they would have started at 103 with Kuhn pinning the MD kid and Johns at 119 pinning as well. Just my 2 cents.

I think in most cases it does help. AJ you are right the better team usually wins. But when the teams are evenly matched momentum plays a larger part. I have always believed that winning is contagious (sp?). I was at the ncaa's a few years back when Iowa won like 12 matches in a row, I think that was definitely using the momentum of the previous wrestler. I know that this was an individual tournament but you can see that in thier dual meets as well.

Amen brother...well said.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.