One last shot for Trent Reinoehl

pin2win1

Just read this in the South Bend Tribune

by Tim Creason

As Yogi Berra said, ?It ain?t over till it?s over.? And for Trent Reinoehl, the Mishawaka senior whose eligibility was revoked by the Indiana High School Athletic Association before wrestling season began, there?s one shot left.

The Case Review Panel of the Indiana Department of Education has scheduled a meeting Feb. 23, to hear an appeal in the Reinoehl case. The nine-person board, consisting of parents, principals and athletic directors, has the authority to overturn IHSAA rulings.

For that to happen, Reinoehl would have to receive at least five votes in his favor. If his eligibility is restored, Reinoehl?s first match could be at the Mishawaka sectional.

As explained by IHSAA spokesman Jason Wille:

?(The Case Review Panel) is another committee that student-athletes can appeal to if both the Commissioner and the IHSAA Review Committee rule against them.

?Prior to the CRP?s existence, a student?s only recourse was to go directly to the court system,? Wille said. ?Now, they have this group that will hear their case. Many still end up going to court eventually if the CRP rules against them but I believe some drop their cases if they?re ruled against by three consecutive groups.?

Although I am pretty sure that the date is wrong.. point is he still is not completely ruled out... although i doubt there is much of a shot at getting back in. However, this might make Mishawaka a more formidable team during the tournament series

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read this in the South Bend Tribune

by Tim Creason

As Yogi Berra said, ?It ain?t over till it?s over.? And for Trent Reinoehl, the Mishawaka senior whose eligibility was revoked by the Indiana High School Athletic Association before wrestling season began, there?s one shot left.

The Case Review Panel of the Indiana Department of Education has scheduled a meeting Feb. 23, to hear an appeal in the Reinoehl case. The nine-person board, consisting of parents, principals and athletic directors, has the authority to overturn IHSAA rulings.

For that to happen, Reinoehl would have to receive at least five votes in his favor. If his eligibility is restored, Reinoehl?s first match could be at the Mishawaka sectional.

As explained by IHSAA spokesman Jason Wille:

?(The Case Review Panel) is another committee that student-athletes can appeal to if both the Commissioner and the IHSAA Review Committee rule against them.

?Prior to the CRP?s existence, a student?s only recourse was to go directly to the court system,? Wille said. ?Now, they have this group that will hear their case. Many still end up going to court eventually if the CRP rules against them but I believe some drop their cases if they?re ruled against by three consecutive groups.?

Although I am pretty sure that the date is wrong.. point is he still is not completely ruled out... although i doubt there is much of a shot at getting back in. However, this might make Mishawaka a more formidable team during the tournament series

Mishawaka would be a better team with him in the lineup, but he would still have an uphill battle to climb.  First he doesn't have any matches this year.  Yes, Mishawka has a great room, but it's still not the same as a match.  Second, he likely wouldn't get a very good seed since he hasn't wrestled all season, which makes his path that much harder. 

What weight class is he?

No sure where he would be... i am thinking like 135,140... but i am not really all that knowlegeable on Reinoehl so I could be wrong. Also i think IHSAA seedings also take a look at how a wrestler did last year to seed for secionals... add in he has to place top 4 at the mishawaka sectional and I think he can do that as the Mishawaka Sectional is not the toughest in the world

No sure where he would be... i am thinking like 135,140... but i am not really all that knowlegeable on Reinoehl so I could be wrong. Also i think IHSAA seedings also take a look at how a wrestler did last year to seed for secionals... add in he has to place top 4 at the mishawaka sectional and I think he can do that as the Mishawaka Sectional is not the toughest in the world

If I'm every other opposing coach in that seeding meeting, I'm gonna try and get my guy seeded over a guy who has no matches the entire season, regardless of what he did last year. 

I have no doubt he would place top 4 in the sectional.  My point was that...a tougher sectional draw might mean he doesn't win, which could give him a bad regional draw or even a bad semi-state draw.

Would you rather your seeded kid draw Trent in the rat tail round of sectional?  I surely wouldn't! 

The goal of the seeding meeting is to separate the best wrestlers so that they do not meet in the early rounds.  Depending on who else is in the weight class, he should get seeded because he is probably one of the better wrestlers in the sectional.

The goal of the seeding meeting is to separate the best wrestlers so that they do not meet in the early rounds.  Depending on who else is in the weight class, he should get seeded because he is probably one of the better wrestlers in the sectional.

I agree....but it should also be a reward.  It's tough to reward a kid with an easier draw without accomplishing anything this year. 

Just a question, but people have said what happened to Trent was unfair.  What about the young man Trent might replace.  If Trent walks into that room and takes the place of someone who has been busting his but for Mishawaka all year long, is it really fair to him?  It is not like a jv kid out wrestled him and earned his varsity sport. 

im going to guess it wont be 140 cuz i think the guy they have there is pretty good

Just a question, but people have said what happened to Trent was unfair.  What about the young man Trent might replace.  If Trent walks into that room and takes the place of someone who has been busting his but for Mishawaka all year long, is it really fair to him?  It is not like a jv kid out wrestled him and earned his varsity sport. 

I think he has been in the room all season and im assuming he will go 35 and whoever is there, think it might be his little bro, will probably understand. In some aspects i see it as unfair to the other kid but if he is the better wrestler and eligible i would say the spot is his. If it is his brother im sure he will step down willingly as he understands better than anyone what has gone on.

or he could just make things real easy and wrestle for the school in the district which he lives... THE PENN KINGSMEN  :o  no remorse for this situation whatsoever.  what's good for the goose is good for the gander.  follow the rules and the privelage of participating in extracurricular activities won't be taken away.

First off.... where he lives is a matter of discussion... from what I have heard some believes he lives in he Mishawaka district with his grandmother, some in the Penn district with his parents...  but that was not the point of this post, it was to make people aware of the situation at hand

secondly, is it not possible that trent has been making weigh-ins throughout the year without wrestling a match? We had an injured wrestler my senior year and he would still weigh-in but not wrestle.

finally, it is fair to all involved because trent is apparently in the wrestling room working hard along with the rest of the team, therefore if he is able to wrestle the only unfair thing that happened was that trent was screwed over by the IHSAA. Notice i said he was screwed over if he is declared the right to wrestle, i have no idea if he really got the raw end of the deal or not. To me it would be like a school losing a kid to injury and he was not able to come back till secionals.... if he is the better wrestler then he is going to wrestle and the other wrestler who filled in for him should understand that this is what makes the team better.

First off.... where he lives is a matter of discussion... from what I have heard some believes he lives in he Mishawaka district with his grandmother, some in the Penn district with his parents...  but that was not the point of this post, it was to make people aware of the situation at hand

secondly, is it not possible that trent has been making weigh-ins throughout the year without wrestling a match? We had an injured wrestler my senior year and he would still weigh-in but not wrestle.

finally, it is fair to all involved because trent is apparently in the wrestling room working hard along with the rest of the team, therefore if he is able to wrestle the only unfair thing that happened was that trent was screwed over by the IHSAA. Notice i said he was screwed over if he is declared the right to wrestle, i have no idea if he really got the raw end of the deal or not. To me it would be like a school losing a kid to injury and he was not able to come back till secionals.... if he is the better wrestler then he is going to wrestle and the other wrestler who filled in for him should understand that this is what makes the team better.

Yeah i agree with u pin2win1 all the way                           

his first meet wont be at the Mishawaka Sectional.

he has to make scratch weight, at whatever weight that is, first before sectionals

and isnt the rule like you have to have 6 weigh ins?

He prolly made those 6 weigh-ins and the scratch weigh-in when he was out for all this time so all he has to do is have his hearing and see what happens.  Good luck Trent, hope to see you wrestling in the sectional.

Good luck Trent. I had a friend who went to this board with his kid (another sport but Indiana)  and he said it was a kangaroo court. The questions they asked were not even related to the eligibility issue. When he persued it in court he won the case. Hope it works for you.

Kid broke the rules, got caught, got punished. System Worked.

Don't make excuses for it. This is a great lesson to think about yourself, and teach your kids. Those who try to cheat the system run the risk of being caught and punished. 

-On another note, I honestly don't know, but if he is currently ineligible, which he is, why would his weigh-ins be counted. Why would he even be allowed in the weigh-in area, if he is not an eligible wrestler?

Kid broke the rules, got caught, got punished. System Worked.

First off, do you know the entire situation? Do you know the family and what they were thinking? Have you talked to them personally? If you can't answer yes to these three things then you have no idea whether anyone was trying to get around the rules of the IHSAA.

Secondly, the kid didn't break the rules... if anyone broke the rules it was the parents... they attempted to move, they tried to get it okayed by the IHSAA, not the kid. Anyone passing down judgement on a minor is a big person, especially when they do not know all the details.

Yeah, i know the entire situation. No, i do not need to be inside the family's thought process to understand what happened.

By your standards, no-one would ever be guilty of anything in this country as it is impossible to get inside someone?s brain to find out what they were thinking. What i can do is look at the situation, and figure it out.

This argument of "the kid didn't break the rules, the parent's did" is getting very old. The IHSAA rules are clear. Doesn't matter if a kids parents did the moving, he is still punished. That is the rule, i didn't make it, but surely can comprehend it!

Are you so sure you know the entire situation? Are you getting all your info from message boards and/or the newspapers? I mean that is where I am getting mine from and I know I do not know the whole situation, instead all we have is one person's word against an anonymous informants word, and you find it right to judge based off of that?

And no, I do not think no one would ever be guilty... however, there is this thing called reasonable doubt in the american court system, and well in this instance there is reasonable doubt. They tried to buy a house, the house is their's pending the sale of their current home, but with the hard economic times the house is not selling. Now does this mean that they are innocent no, but it sounds like a plausible scenario, hince I can't pass judgment on the situation, and nor should anyone until they have been proven to of lied.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.