Year Rounders VS Multiple Sport Athletes

I have been able to coach several sports over the last 15 years primarily with soccer being the main sport I coach.  I really have seen an increase in the number of one sport athletes.  I have had kids who were playing multiple sports at the same time ie; middle school soccer, AAU wrestling, and baseball.  It was very frustrating as a coach, the kids were tired, and the parents were out of control.  The parents wanted them to be good at every sport they played.  I always said that a multiple sport athlete may always be good at what they play, but they won't be great.  I understand that there are some exceptions to this as some kids are just gifted.  So what are your thoughts about kids totally focused on one sport vs kids who play multiple sports.  Who are some of the best 1 sport only wrestlers in the state and who are some of the best multiple sport wrestlers? 

Steven Sandefer - Mishawaka

State Champion Wrestler , National Rugby Player , Football Player . What alot of people might not know is , he was an absolute Stud in little League Baseball as well . Could easily be playing Baseball for any high school .

I personally want my son to be a great wrestler, however it is not me that will make that decision. I would prefer my son to be happy and well rounded and not burnt out and forced to continue to do something that his heart is no longer into. I have a question that would be highly unlikely answered with statistics. If we could compare occupations as adults of multi-sport athletes in comparison to one sport athlete what would it be like?

I have also talked with many DI, DII, and DIII coaches that prefer wrestlers that have other sport backgrounds and even come to the events to watch and see leadership skills, team building skills, determination, and resilience. That's what makes a great wrestler/athlete.

Justin Benge from Calumet High School comes to mind ....   

He finished 5th @ 160 in 1999 ...  his only loss in that state tournament was to the eventual state champ Kevin Carr

Coach Wadtkins can correct me if I'm wrong ... but I believe he was 12x letter winner ... 3 sport varsity athlete x 4 years of high school !   Very rare .....

There is no doubt that you all have listed some very good wrestlers/athletes.  Other than Sandefer, what about some of the current Indiana elite?  How about using the current top ten pound for pound?  How many of these guys are multiple sport athletes?

As of 12/15/08 Indiana's Pound for Pound List:

1. Cashe Quiroga

2. Josh Harper

3. Sean McMurray

4. Eric Roach

5. Jason Tsirtsis

6. Steven Sandefur---- Multiple Sport Stud; rugby, football, baseball, and wrestling

7. Brandon Wright

8. Marcus Shrewsbury

9. Camden Eppert

10. Taylor March

Honorable Mention

Frankie Porras

Ethan Raley

Adam Chalfant--- Stud in Football

Braden Atwood

Mark Meyers

Anthony Hawkins

Michael Duckworth

Briar Runyan

Kyle Mosier

If the kid can correctly handle being a multi-sport athlete and likes doing that then by all means let them have it.  Some of the kids get involved in others sports to just prevent getting burned out by just one.  If the kids want to focus on just one activity and seems to enjoy it all year round then thats fine too.  It has to be the kids decision if he/she thinks its worth it to just focus on becoming a stud in one sport or if they would rather be involved in multiple sports knowing that it may hinder their progress in their best sport.  Athletics are very unpredictable though.  Sometimes kids have to just focus on one activity in order to eventually become great at it and other times you get those rare athletes that seem just be naturals at any sport they get involved in. As long as its the kids decision in what to get involved in, they are trying their best and enjoying it, and they are not getting burned out then let them do what they are doing.

I totally agree with you MattM.  All I am saying is I believe the majority of elite wrestlers are now focusing on only one sport.  I think it depend on what the kids ultimate goal is regardless of the sport.  If their goal is to win multiple state championships, then they better be wrestling year round.  If they want to be one of the better wrestler in the state and leave high school with 8 to 12 varsity letters, then play multiple sports and enjoy it.

In many cases I would agree that if you have a goal to be a state champion or a multi-state champion it would benifit you to focus on just one sport or maybe two at the most.  Most of these kids just are not super athletes that can handle multiple sports at an elite level though a few do exist.  It would be great if teenagers could make up their mind logically and actually realize what they want to do plus understand how to that place at a young age.  That would make your last statment much easier to figure out.   However, as we know that usually is a hard thing to determine with the way teenagers think and act.  Some of them by the time they hit high school are still testing the water at what they are good.  Plus even if they say they want to be state champs in one sport we all know many will change their mind or their work out habits wont live up to their dreams by the time they finish.  It really just depends on the individual and if they are mature enough to understand all that is involved in the decisions they make and the and goals they are setting for themselves.

There is no doubt that you all have listed some very good wrestlers/athletes.  Other than Sandefer, what about some of the current Indiana elite?  How about using the current top ten pound for pound?  How many of these guys are multiple sport athletes?

As of 12/15/08 Indiana's Pound for Pound List:

1. Cashe Quiroga

2. Josh Harper

3. Sean McMurray

4. Eric Roach

5. Jason Tsirtsis

6. Steven Sandefur---- Multiple Sport Stud; rugby, football, baseball, and wrestling

7. Brandon Wright

8. Marcus Shrewsbury

9. Camden Eppert

10. Taylor March

Honorable Mention

Frankie Porras

Ethan Raley

Adam Chalfant--- Stud in Football

Braden Atwood

Mark Meyers

Anthony Hawkins

Michael Duckworth

Briar Runyan

Kyle Mosier

i think duckworth had almost 2000 rush yards, shrewsbury was a quarterback...ive noticed most of the multi-sport wrestlers are the bigger guys, not many 103-140 kids playing football or anything else

215 state runner up Zac Dommer from New Haven had 16 varsity letters.  He placed at state in wrestling and track, 2003 Region 3 All Star team. 

He was also on the basketball team.

You MAY want to double check your statistics! I believe Zac only had 15 letters! He did not compete in football one year (junior, I believe) as a result of an injury. With that in mind, I am pretty sure he didn't letter in football all four years.

Greg Wagner from Fort Wayne Snider was All-State in football, wrestling, and track. He was quite the accomplished athlete in both high school and college.

My son Sean played multiple sports until his Freshman year Then he decided that wrestling was his true love. I can't argue with the results. I beleive focusing on wrestling has helped his career. But I think it's a personal choice.

oLE mONIX IS QUIET A GOOD 3 sport athete. He was da QB on Lowell's fine football time ( best qb in da region) , ain't a bad wrestler and a pretty good polevaulter. In my book he should be the Times athlete of da year. But If I was to guess it will to a swimmer or basketball player.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.