chances

cccoach

Yeah getting rid of 103 would really hurt some freshmen, and i would not really like doing away with 103. However, I was just throwing out an option there so there would only be 14 weight classes to appease the almighty and all powerful Y2.

There is no way within the next 10 years it will happen. Changes like that happen on a national level, and there is really no need for it at this point in time. I'm not denying that it would be interesting to see the style that would develop as a result, because as anyone that has wrestled in the 215/HWT area you know that those are almost night and day with styles of wrestling.

Yeah getting rid of 103 would really hurt some freshmen, and i would not really like doing away with 103.

It actually wouldn't hurt as much as some people on here would lead you to believe, since a lot of schools can't even field the weight class.  But with that being said, I'm firmly against adding a weight class between 215 and 285.  The big guys are brutal enough to watch, we don't need more of those types of matches.  Plus, I don't think there are enough 240 lbers out there to justify implementing a weight class in that vicinity.

I'd be for them combining the 103-112 to make it 110, but I would rather have them make a 182lb, change the 189 to 195, and make a 220 lb class.  Now there is 18 pounds between the 171 and 189 and those are some of the most exciting weights.

The only shot you have of another weight class around the 215-285 weight range anytime soon is if they reorganized several of the weight classes.  They will probably never add another weight class because of the reseasons mentioned.  However, I do think their may come a day in which they  reorganize  the weights.   If this reorganization involves the upper weights they may just space those weight classes out in a way that helps to relieve some of the weight gap we currently have between 171-189-215-285.

I find it funny and strange how this topic has been around for so very long--changing weight classes.  Not being able to fill weight classes has been an on going saga from a time when I started coaching (the 60's) to now.  I remember when the complaint was that it was difficult to find 95 lb. wrestlers.  Then we changed to add the the number of weight classes from 12 to 13.  Then we changed 95 lb to 98 lbs.  Followed by boosting the heavyweight class to unlimited.  That went down quickly because we had 190 lb. heavyweights (because there wasn't a 215 class at that time) wrestling guys over 350 lbs.  A study was done nationally to fix the weights where they are now.  Plus they added 215 class and that seem to have stopped the chatter for awhile but I guess it's hard to satisfy all. 

The state can alter or change the weight classes and not stay with the national rules.  All Indiana wrestling coaches have to do is have enough coaches agree (that's the problem) to a given set of weights or altered weights and proceed from there.  Work through the coaches association and with the officials association will speed things up.  Keep all your ducks in a row and go.

I do not think adding a new weight is the way to go.  Altering the one or more weights classes used now is the most realistic. 

Dont think there is any chance of getting a 240lb weight class, and NO WAY they are doin away with 103, think without 103 we wouldn't be watching history as Harper is going for numbah 4!

History?  It's been done like 5 or 6 times right?

Dont think there is any chance of getting a 240lb weight class, and NO WAY they are doin away with 103, think without 103 we wouldn't be watching history as Harper is going for numbah 4!

History?  It's been done like 5 or 6 times right?

yeah 5 or 6 times in how ever many years wrestling has exsisted isnt a lot, id call it history

yeah 5 or 6 times in how ever many years wrestling has exsisted isnt a lot, id call it history

A feat?  Yes.  An accomplishment?  Most definitely.  History?  No. 

History, to me, is when it's not been done before (or at least in a generation).  Harper isn't going to do anything this year that hasn't been done before.  This isn't taking anything away from what Harper has or is going to accomplish, because that's not what I'm doing.  I wish I could've done just a quarter of what Harper has already done.  But it's not history in the making.

Okay, I am braceing for the "politically incorrect" backlash that is sure to follow... :)

I used to hate the 103 lb class.  Watching teams get to sectionals and having numerous forfeits year after year after year at 98 and then 103 lbs is just frustrating.  And to think that anyone other than a freshmen or a dwarf can be naturally walking around at <103 lbs is so far removed from my reality I just could never understand it.  Watching every year as the highest percentage of freshmen lettermen in any sport were "lil guys" at 103 that made a varsity roster based more on size than skill.

....now, I have a more global view.  When we moved, my oldest son was in the middle of his 6th grade year.  Being a September birthday and coming from a district that required K enrollment age of 5 before August 1, he was 12 when we enrolled here.  When we took him to the office of his new MS, they were shocked and actually called us in to the principals office to discuss "the situation".  K enrollment here requires kids to be 5 by Jan 1 of their kindergarten year.  So kids regularly start K here at age 4 if their birthday is between August and December of that year. So the vast majority of kids my sons age were 7th or 8th graders.

But it wasn't JUST a question of age.  He was a "normal"  sized 6th grader at a MS in LaPorte...he was bigger than most 8th graders here!  And it isn't/wasn't just our local community, generally speaking people are smaller here!  I have had several discussions regarding this over the years we have lived here and the basic differance we can come up is that were we lived in the Midwest is comprised almost exclusively of "big" people on a global scale.  The communtiy we moved from had an ethnic mix of German, Polish, and other European influences.  Compared to here, that is a mono-culture of big people!

Compare the following demographic numbers* from the 2 state capitol counties;

SACRAMENTO COUNTY

White 61.4%

Black or African American 10.1%

American Indian and Alaska Native 0.9%

Asian 13.4%

Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander 0.8%

Some other race 9.2%

Hispanic or Latino (of any race) 19.2%

MARION COUNTY

White 67.4%

Black or African American 24.9%

American Indian and Alaska Native 0.2%

Asian 1.6%

Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander 0.1%

Some other race 3.7%

Hispanic or Latino (of any race) 6.5%

I can say with reasonable certainty that the west coast schools, because of their ethnic diversity, have a much better chance at filling the 103 weight than your typical midwestern community.  Now you throw in the idea that a county like Marion county is one of the biggest in the midwest with a population of 800k+ compares to Orange County with a 3,000k+ population (and similar demographics to Sacramento) you can start to see where the national numbers reflect a differant distibution of weights than the Midwest or Indiana specifically.  I know that the local HS last year was conference champs and had to forfeit 171, 215 and HVY.  This year they have some kids at those weights, but they also still have (5) 103 lbers, 2 of them freshmen and all 3 upper classmen have "some" Asian descent.

Well, thats enough of my rambling...talk amongst yourselfs. ;D

*NOTE: before anyone starts yipping about the #'s not tottaling 100%, save it for the US census!  I pulled their numbers directly for comparison purposes!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.