Greatest Indiana Wrestling Families

kevinl

Over on the other site there was a link with the top families by wins.

Does anyone know where these totals are?

Also Who are some of your favorite familes to watch?  Who was the greatest family in your school's history?

The Moe brothers from Garrett left quite a legacy

Trevor Moe

5th place at State, first state qualifier and placer in Garrett history

100-31 Career record, 4th all-time

Todd Moe

2X Semi-State qualifier

89-42 Career Record, 8th all-time

Career and single season takedown leader

Lance Moe

State qualifier

119-31 Career record, 1st all-time

All three went on to participate in DI athletics in college, Todd and Trevor in football at Southern Illinois University and Lance is currently on the Purdue track team.

They will have a run for their money with the Schendel family, though.

It certainly depends on the criteria of your category. If it is overall family wrestling wins, the McGinley's win it going away for the state. If it is any group of immediate brothers, they probably have two sets in the Top 10, if not top 5.

The most current McGinley Top 5 win family is Brian McGinley's sons: Tom, Tim, Gavin, and Charlie. These guys are into the 400 win club and Charlie is only a freshman. 

I will try to round up the 80's McGinley's to see where their wins fall. The aformentioned Brian was one of 5 boys, I think, that had a Champ and a runner-up in the famly. Coach Sean McGinley was part of this sibling heritage. He was a runner-up. Joe McGinley was the champ in 1983 if memory serves. 

Plus, they are a bunch of drunk Irish catholics. We love the McGinleys in Cathedral Nation. 

I have to believe that the Bradley (Beech Grove) and Campbell (Delta) families have to be recognized in this effort. I'll look up the win/loss info for both of these.

I took a quick look at ontherise219's top five post. Great work. If we examine the winning percentage it ranges from 71.2% - 98.6%. Additionally, the total number of matches ranges from 287 - 652. The Ellis brothers possesses the best winning percentage (98.6%) and the lowest number of matches wrestled (287). The Steinhauser family has the lowest winning percentage (71.2%) and the highest number of matches (652).

The analysis is interesting.................

I think that one family that will be up there by the time Jason is a senior would be the tsirtsis (pretty sure I misspelled that) family becasue alex was already 236-0 I believe and if his brother holds out as it is...the two of them could rack up more wins than some of the bigger wrestling families that are listed in the top five

The Hutsell's of Bloomington...

Kay (Father/Coach) - 10 Team State Championships @ Bloomington High School

Marty (Son) -

2x Indiana High School State Champion (Bloomington HS)

High School All American

4 year starter at Indiana University

3X Big Ten Placer winner

2x National Masters Wrestling Champion

Most Valuable Wrestler Indiana University

32nd year as a Head Coach

Andrean High School Merrillville, Indiana

Feldwood High School (Ga) 1978-1983

McIntosh High School (Ga) 1983-2000

Clarke Central High School (Ga) 2000-2001

Henry County High School (Ga) 2001-present

Winningest Coach in GHSAA History

Member of Who's Who of High School Wrestling Coaches

Member of the Indiana Wrestling hall-of-fame

National coach of the year nominee

4x Georgia Coach of the Year

10x South Metro Coach of the Year

6 State Championship Teams

4 State Runner-up Teams

5 Third Place State Teams

23 Region Championships

112 tournament wins (4th best all time in the nation)

20 Top 10 Team Finishes in the state

6 High School All Americans

30 Individual State Champions

86 Top 6 State place winners

303 State qualifiers

Dual Meet Record 500-166-4 (as of 12/27/08)

Doug (Son)-

2x Indiana High School State Champion

AAU National Greco Roman Champion

High School All-American

Auburn University Wrestling Letterman

3x Indiana University Letterman

Big ten placer

2x Most Valuable Wrestler at Indiana University

The Abbotts from Mu. Southside

Tony (State Champ and Runner-up)

TIm (I think a State Runner-up)

The Wagners from Zionsville

Robert (The Foundation for Success)

Shane (State Runner-up)

Ryan (3 time place winner)

Ginthers from Delta

Heinselizmen from Delta

and as mentioned

the Smith's

Dad John (Franklin Centrel State Champ) and Sons Josh and Jarred (Yorktown)

How about from the south:

The Weinzy's

The Wildeman's

The Goebel"s

The Boot's

Hell that's just off the top of my head.  ;D  Someone posted the complete M.D. list before with families that have wrestled. I don't have the time to put this together. Really impressive  :o Families all connect together here on the westside.

You guys are crazy not to mention the Escobedo/Hernandez/Bedoy Familia.

There is Michael Escobedo - Lake Central, Jose Escobedo - Griffith, Angel Escobedo- Griffith

Rene Hernandez - Bishop Noll, Andrae Hernandez - Griffith

Daniel  Bedoy - Bishop Noll

All first cousins except rene and andrae are brothers.

I know there is some wrestling statistician out there who can add up all of the wins, but we have 9 state championships, 2 runner ups,  a couple of placers, and one national NCAA champ.  Not to mention their cousin Patty Cisneros is an Olympic Gold Medalist.

You guys are crazy not to mention the Escobedo/Hernandez/Bedoy Familia.

There is Michael Escobedo - Lake Central, Jose Escobedo - Griffith, Angel Escobedo- Griffith

Rene Hernandez - Bishop Noll, Andrae Hernandez - Griffith

Daniel  Bedoy - Bishop Noll

All first cousins except rene and andrae are brothers.

I know there is some wrestling statistician out there who can add up all of the wins, but we have 9 state championships, 2 runner ups,  a couple of placers, and one national NCAA champ.  Not to mention their cousin Patty Cisneros is an Olympic Gold Medalist.

Marcus Hernandez and John Bedoy also added some family wins some one did say the Escobedos on the last page

What about the Bakers from Bellmont?  I know there has to be about 5000 of them!

Close...the Baker family does make up about 1/3 of Decatur.  Then to make it even crazier, there are actually two different set of Baker families.  You have the one where Paul Baker and Jason Baker come from.  Then within the other Baker family you have Doug, Randy, Ryan, Billy, Tyler, Landon, and Ben.  Then still not in high school yet there are Brett and Danny. Then soon to start wrestling you have Doug's son Thadeus. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.