8th graders wrestling at the high school level???

naco228

I think it would be a good idea. I think that could help out with some smaller schools to help field fuller line-ups, and even draw out more kids from middle school so that they feel like they have a shot to compete on the high school level. I know I have an 8th grader right now that I would love to have on the team right now.

I think the topic belongs here not in youth forum discussion. This is a major topic in alot of states I know the state of wisconsin lost its battle to include 8th graders.. im of the thought process that here in indiana we do not need it.

2000 placers at 112:

Consolation Results

Third Place -- Yancy Gradeless, Mishawaka d. Andy Uhl, East Noble, decision, 6-4.

Fifth Place -- Aaron Clark, Franklin, d. Jacob Beck, Lowell, win by fall, 3:30.

Seventh Place -- Bobby Ausbrooks, Evansville Mater Dei d. Manuel Rodriguez, Hobart, decision, 2-2 OTC.

Championship Results

Nathan Peterson, Floyd Central d. Jeff Gray, Lawrence North, decision, 2-0.

2001 places at 103

Consolation

Third Place ? Nick Hartman, Lawrence North def. Tim Hunt, Munster, decision, 11-5.

Fifth Place ? Andrew Buffalino, Fort Wayne Snider def. Nic May, Peru, decision, 11-5.

Seventh Place ? Jose Escobedo, Griffith def. Joe Wise, Warren Central, decision, 8-2.

Championship

Aaron Clark, Franklin, senior (48-0) def. Craig Macke, Evansville Mater Dei, sophomore (39-3), decision, 4-3.

Bold Names future Champs

Placers at 119 2001

Championship

Alex Tsirtsis Griffith d Hector Mendez East Chicago 7-0

3rd

Manny Rodriguez Hobart fall Phu Hong Lawrence Central

5th

Dustin Norton Princeton d Clint Plamore Whiteland

7th

Jeff Grey Lawrence North d Pat McClain Churubusco 3-2

112 2002

Championship

Angel Escobedo Griffith Maj D Craig Macke EMD 13-2

3rd

Nic MAy Peru d Danny Norman New Pal 6-3

5th

Chris Miller Elk Mem maj D Tim Hunt Munster 17-6

7th

Graham Hayden FT Luers d Scott Berry Pioneer 5-3

I think the problem you will run into is where to draw the line when kids are not ready to compete at the high school level.  You don't want an eighth grade kids coming in to a high school match and getting destroyed, or worse, injured.  There will be situations where the coach feels pressure to field a team or thinks the beating the eighth grade kid receives will make the kid stronger in the future.  These situations are not good for wrestling or the kid.  There will be unwise, or worse unscrupulous, coaches out there that will not put the best interests of the kids first.  It will be too subjective as to when someone can handle the physical and mental level of high school competition.

I think the problem you will run into is where to draw the line when kids are not ready to compete at the high school level.  You don't want an eighth grade kids coming in to a high school match and getting destroyed, or worse, injured.  There will be situations where the coach feels pressure to field a team or thinks the beating the eighth grade kid receives will make the kid stronger in the future.  These situations are not good for wrestling or the kid.  There will be unwise, or worse unscrupulous, coaches out there that will not put the best interests of the kids first.  It will be too subjective as to when someone can handle the physical and mental level of high school competition.

This is what I think of when it comes to 8th graders.  Some can handle it, like the 103 lbers since most of those guys are freshmen and sophomores anyway (alright that's a shot, sorry ;D).  Sure, you'll have your Tsirtsis' and Escobedo's that come around.  But how often do those types of wrestlers come around vs. the "beat-down" most 8th graders will receive against high schoolers?  Would it justify adding 8th graders?

Kentucky used to allow this, as several Kentucky schools attend the Mater Dei Holiday Classic. In recent years, however, no underclassmen from Kentucky have wrestled at Mater Dei, so they either don't allow it in Kentucky, or else the IHSAA won't allow them to do it over here.

I know it doesn't seem like it, but there is a big difference between 8th grade and freshman year.  I say 8th graders should keep wrestling on their feeder teams and wait their turn for the high school spot.  Let them get a little more experience and a little more maturity before you feed them to the wolves.  We're not just talking about 103 lbrs. There are 8th graders who would be wrestling some of the middle/upper weights, so then you're talking about sending an 8th grade kid out to wrestle beasts like Harper, Quiroga, Roach, Simms, Sandefur...and they don't even get the benefit of going to school with the rest of the team and bonding during the day.  I say "no" to 8th graders wrestling for the high school team.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.