2A Team State "Wildcard Weekend"

After final approval from our athletic department to open up gym space. 

Chatard is committed to hosting 2A Wildcard weekend on 12/9. 

We are putting together a 6-way tournament and hoping to pull as many of the teams that are in the hunt for the last 2 spots as possible. 

I have sent invites to:

Garrett
Rensselaer Central ❌
Peru ✅ 
Angola ✅ 

Glenn❌

South Ridge

Owen Valley ✅ 

Monrovia ❌ 

Bishop Dwenger ❌ 
Norwell
Oak Hill ❌ 

My hope is to make the voting committee's job a little easier come the 3rd week of December. 

Obviously, this will require shifts in some schedules but we are trying to help schools build the best possible case. (And put together a strong case for our guys)

If teams are unable to attend I will open it up to other teams on the list. 

Edited by Nate Spangle

15 hours ago, Nate Spangle said:

After final approval from our athletic department to open up gym space. 

Chatard is committed to hosting 2A Wildcard weekend on 12/9. 

We are putting together a 6-way tournament and hoping to pull as many of the teams that are in the hunt for the last 2 spots as possible. 

I have sent invites to:

Garrett
Rensselaer Central
Peru
Angola

Glenn

My hope is to make the voting committee's job a little easier come the 3rd week of December. 

Obviously, this will require shifts in some schedules but we are trying to help schools build the best possible case. (And put together a strong case for our guys)

If teams are unable to attend I will open it up to other teams on the list. 

This is great! It would be cool to see some other classes follow in similar fashion. 

On 5/17/2023 at 8:30 AM, Holden said:

Any chance this will happen for other classes?

Coach Spangle decided to make that happen. I love the idea. It would be a big undertaking for the IHSWCA to do that and hope that other classes will step up and do the same.

37 minutes ago, Greg Ratliff said:

Coach Spangle decided to make that happen. I love the idea. It would be a big undertaking for the IHSWCA to do that and hope that other classes will step up and do the same.

I believe Coach Pfaff is working on one for 1A as well. 

Just now, Y2CJ41 said:

1 hour ago, Nate Spangle said:

If anyone was plugged into the Garrett wrestling team... and could get them to respond to one of my 2 emails that would be helpful 😁

Hello, I’m the Garrett head coach and I have not received an email.  If you sent it to my AD he hasn’t sent it to me.

my email is nkraus@gkb.k12.in.us

9 hours ago, Nate Spangle said:

If anyone was plugged into the Garrett wrestling team... and could get them to respond to one of my 2 emails that would be helpful 😁

Sorry that was my bad. Just checked our email from our Twitter account that I only set up to have the account 🤦

• 3 weeks later...

Rounding this out with 2 more teams. 

Turnout is pretty good thus far. 

Chatard

Peru

Angola

Owen Valley 

Only two spots left with asks out to 
Garrett ❌ 

Southridge ❌ 

Dwenger ❌ 

Norwell
Oakhill ❌ 

Northwood ❌ 
New Castle
Western Boone ❌ 
Yorktown ❌ 

Edited by Nate Spangle

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2023 at 8:11 AM, Nate Spangle said:

Rounding this out with 2 more teams. 

Turnout is pretty good thus far. 

Chatard (#16 2A)

Peru (#13 2A)

Angola (#14 2A)

Owen Valley (#18 2A)

Only two spots left with asks out to 
Garrett ❌ 

Southridge ❌ 

Dwenger ❌ 

Norwell
Oakhill ❌ 

Northwood ❌ 
New Castle
Western Boone ❌ 
Yorktown ❌ 

New Castle

Hanover Central

Mt. Vernon (Email bounced back if anyone has contact info) 

Franklin County

• 1 month later...

After months of trying to organize a 2A team state wildcard tournament, we are officially pivoting this event to a traditional 6-way. 

Peru & Owen Valley were the only two to adapt their schedule to attend. 

I sent a ton of emails to 2A schools and didn't get much traction. 

A few schools had conference obligations.

But overall a bunch of schools just didn't want to change their legacy schedule. 

It was disappointing to see the schools that don't value the team state tournament/ don't understand what to do to put their teams in a place to qualify. 

That being said. We have openings for our 12/9 6-way that I will be posting on the other thread.

Good Luck to Bishop Chatard this season. FB team is looking like they will be playing late in the fall and likely on Thanksgiving weekend. That type of success will be great experience for any of those athletes wrestling for you.

Please remember everyone has their reasons for attending, moving, and scheduling, it is not easy.

Your plan of a qualifier type tournament is good. Sometimes the grass looks greener on the other side. Where has your team typically wrestled on 12/8? Will there be any good 2a teams at that previously scheduled date or tournament?

5 hours ago, Stebn8r said:

Good Luck to Bishop Chatard this season. FB team is looking like they will be playing late in the fall and likely on Thanksgiving weekend. That type of success will be great experience for any of those athletes wrestling for you.

Please remember everyone has their reasons for attending, moving, and scheduling, it is not easy.

Your plan of a qualifier type tournament is good. Sometimes the grass looks greener on the other side. Where has your team typically wrestled on 12/8? Will there be any good 2a teams at that previously scheduled date or tournament?

We were up at Delta last year! We still have Peru and a few small schools committed. Working on filling out the remaining spots. 

12 hours ago, Nate Spangle said:

After months of trying to organize a 2A team state wildcard tournament, we are officially pivoting this event to a traditional 6-way. 

But overall a bunch of schools just didn't want to change their legacy schedule. 

It was disappointing to see the schools that don't value the team state tournament/ don't understand what to do to put their teams in a place to qualify. 

That being said. We have openings for our 12/9 6-way that I will be posting on the other thread.

I feel it is a little remiss to say that the schools who declined your invite don’t value the team state tournament or don’t understand how to put our kids in a position to qualify for the team state duals. 

As you know, it can be difficult to move your schedule around due to conference and sectional obligations, as well as just contractual obligations. We sent you an invite to wrestle in a dual meet and you guys were not able to make it work because of contractual obligations. No hard feelings, but I think it’s unfair to make that claim. 

Edited by bomber_bob

That wasn't about every single school that was unable to make it. Totally understand that sectional/ conference opponents trump wild card vote-in. There were several schools that would have loved to attend if they didn't have conference/ sectional implications. (You included)

I don't think it's unfair to make the claim that some schools don't want to change things because that's the way they have always done it. 

To me that comes down to either a lack of understanding on what to do to win a vote-in spot... or a lack of value in the tournament. 

At the end of the day we tried, it flopped, we move on and work to win one of the first 10 spots this season. 

On 9/25/2023 at 9:35 AM, Nate Spangle said:

We are contractually obligated to a few things and we weren't going to drop the Al Smith or our own invite...that being said there's more than one way to skin a cat--we were able to get into an individual tournament where our kids will be pushed in a similar way they're pushed at the Al Smith..I couldn't pass up on that, but because of that, If we're voted into team state we will have to do even more flipping and flopping , but our intent is to perform well enough to be put into team state for sure!  We love the event!!!