Best Semi State

navy80

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Fort Wayne will constantly struggle getting elite talent with the small school nature of the semi state. But our depth has been improving the past few years with the additions of a few RTCs, like Indiana Tech and Mad Man wrestling. 

I 100% agree. I was one of the loudest realignment advocates in the past because I felt like it was lopsided and didn’t see a path to evening it out without it.

However, in the past couple of seasons we’ve seen a massive step forward from the Ft. Wayne area in general as far as depth. 

Are there some weights where you want to draw FW? Sure, but there were some where you absolutely did not and that’s a big improvement.

As a coach that felt we’d get more kids out if we were in that semi-state over New Castle for a long time, I’ll admit I no longer believe that’s true. I think top end talent will always lag but there’s many more darn good kids up there than there used to be and it’s a testament to the coaches that have put in the time to drive it at schools like Delta, Rochester, Western, and Jay County all being teams that were frankly on par with any 3A team and most 4 A teams.

My team wrestled a tough schedule for the most part and finished 16-5 (far better than I though we’d do) and we still got blasted out of our shoes at individual tourneys by Western at the Kyle Osborn Invite and By Delta at the Mooresville Holiday Classic. It won’t be long before Shepherd lands another on top of the podium (Betz will be in the mix next season) or Lecount gets his first (Bollinger and Mosier both mighty close already and their MS team is nails too). Rochester did it last year and has the horses to land another there soon (did you see little Beck compete with Goin on Friday? And Horn will be in the mix too)

That’s just a few small schools to say nothing of the improvements Snider and Homestead have made as well, and I’m sure Carroll will bounce back soon. And I’m sure there are plenty of other programs seizing the day and making strides that I can’t speak on, but good on them.

To summarize, Ft Wayne has turned this once non-believer into a fan. And Indiana wrestling is better for it. Now I have to go get to work training my guys to be able to compete with and beat those teams and it’s gonna take all 300 days I have to to do it!

Edited by Coach Brobst
Spelling

22 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy1 said:

Every year the talk is about #thecounty. Garcia, Brewer, all the blow hards. I guess it's Hendricks County? Will they ever win anything? 

Pretty damn impressive that Center Grove almost exclusively represented Johnson County and pretty much smoked the Brownsburg/Avon/Danville/whatever the eff #thecounty considers themself. If you throw in Buttler or Lowery, they really run laps around the west side. If anyone claims a county outside of Marion, it should probably be Johnson. The weirdest thing is you never hear about Johnson County. Actually, you don't hear about any other "counties" in the state except the one on the west side of Indy. 

Be better, westsiders. 

Also, congrats to Crown Point. Not the best day and you still smoked the field. Enjoy it. Two damn amazing years. 

Wow what a weird post. You sound so bitter. Guess you are really going to be bitter over the next couple of seasons.

4 hours ago, Coach Brobst said:

I 100% agree. I was one of the loudest realignment advocates in the past because I felt like it was lopsided and didn’t see a path to evening it out without it.

However, in the past couple of seasons we’ve seen a massive step forward from the Ft. Wayne area in general as far as depth. 

Are there some weights where you want to draw FW? Sure, but there were some where you absolutely did not and that’s a big improvement.

As a coach that felt we’d get more kids out if we were in that semi-state over New Castle for a long time, I’ll admit I no longer believe that’s true. I think top end talent will always lag but there’s many more darn good kids up there than there used to be and it’s a testament to the coaches that have put in the time to drive it at schools like Delta, Rochester, Western, and Jay County all being teams that were frankly on par with any 3A team and most 4 A teams.

My team wrestled a tough schedule for the most part and finished 16-5 (far better than I though we’d do) and we still got blasted out of our shoes at individual tourneys by Western at the Kyle Osborn Invite and By Delta at the Mooresville Holiday Classic. It won’t be long before Shepherd lands another on top of the podium (Betz will be in the mix next season) or Lecount gets his first (Bollinger and Mosier both mighty close already and their MS team is nails too). Rochester did it last year and has the horses to land another there soon (did you see little Beck compete with Goin on Friday? And Horn will be in the mix too)

That’s just a few small schools to say nothing of the improvements Snider and Homestead have made as well, and I’m sure Carroll will bounce back soon. And I’m sure there are plenty of other programs seizing the day and making strides that I can’t speak on, but good on them.

To summarize, Ft Wayne has turned this once non-believer into a fan. And Indiana wrestling is better for it. Now I have to go get to work training my guys to be able to compete with and beat those teams and it’s gonna take all 300 days I have to to do it!

Didn’t mention Snider who had a finalist as a Sophomore and another qualifier. 6 ticket Rounders.  Qualified for team state.  12 returners plus a couple studs coming in.  We will be in the mix to place top 5.

3 hours ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

Didn’t mention Snider who had a finalist as a Sophomore and another qualifier. 6 ticket Rounders.  Qualified for team state.  12 returners plus a couple studs coming in.  We will be in the mix to place top 5.

No slight meant

We don’t see Snider during season so I am not as familiar, but I did mention them during the 6th paragraph. 

But I understand you not reading my whole novel! The Panthers are certainly on the come up and Veazy is likely the biggest threat to win a title Ft. Wayne has (he’ll likely be the heavy favorite next season though the new weights will make it interesting, will he be 175 or 190? It probably doesn’t matter, but 182 essentially goes away)

Again, no slight meant!

My dude Ryan making a comeback!  What is up my dude?  Put the bottle down and think for a second.  Are you from Crown Point or Center Grove?…no, you are the Cathedral dude who hates transfers. 🤣🤣🤣.  That is my dude.  Now running your mouth about Brownsburg having 9 qualifiers, 7 placers, 4 in the finals, and 3 champs.  Add to that doing it going through the hardest route possible.  Dude find a hobby and get out of the bar.  This is high school wrestling man.  You need some serious help.  

Edited by Darrick Snyder

On 2/19/2023 at 7:49 AM, navy80 said:

Finals with the champion semi state in bold

106- Evansville x2

113- Evansville x2

120- Evansville and ECC

126- New Castle and Evansville 

132-Evansville x2

138- ECC and Evansville

145-ECC and Evansville

152-New Castle and Evansville 

160-ECC and Evansville

170-ECC and Evansville

182-ECC and Fort Wayne

195- Evansville x2

220-ECC X2

285- Evansville x2

Finals' Totals

Evansville 6 champs with 16 in the finals

ECC 6 champs with 8 in the finals

New Castle 2 champs with 2 in the finals

Fort Wayne 0 champs with 1 in the finals 

It's time the IHSAA reconfigures our semi states. Send Brownsburg to Fort Wayne and Center Grove to New Castle! 

Just FYI:

Evansville 6 champs with 17 in the finals. You have the breakdown of the weights correct, you must have missed one as you totaled them.