State qualifiers by Team State Teams

brickfor6

I was curious and wanted to look into how many state qualifiers came from all of the classes that competed in IHSWCA team state. Pretty cool to look at. Just over 50% of the state qualifiers come from a team that competed at IHSWCA team state.   My thoughts: 4A is STACKED, 3A had a rough year with qualifiers, 2A IMO had a great year for qualifiers, 1A had a great year as well!

If you see any mistakes let me know and I can fix them. 

4A Total-53 (23.7% of state qualifiers)

Crown Point- 11

Brownsburg- 9

Center Grove- 12

Perry Meridian- 4

Carmel- 3

Mater Dei- 4

Cathedral- 6

Penn- 4

3A Total- 14 (6.3% of state qualifiers)

Mishawaka- 5

Columbus East- 2

Greenfield Central- 0

Roncalli- 2

Hobart- 2

Terre Haute South- 1

Floyd Central- 2

East Central- 0

2A Total- 27 (12.1% of state qualifiers)

Jay County- 4

Delta- 4

Western- 2

Garrett- 2

Norwell- 0

New Prairie- 4

Hamilton Heights- 1

Rensselar- 1

Wawasee- 4

Heritage Hills- 1

Bellmont- 3

Owen Valley- 1

1A Total- 19 (8.5% of state qualifiers)

Rochester- 4

Cascade- 2

Adams Central- 2

West Central- 1

Bluffton- 1

South Adams- 0

Southmont- 1

Prairie Heights- 2

Winamac- 0

Cowan- 2

North Posey- 0

Tell City- 4

Looking at team state results:

4A. Finalists  were #2 (CP) and #3 (BB) in state qualifiers for all of 4A team state

3A. Finalists were #1 (Mish) and #2 (Col E) in state qualifiers for all of 3A team state

2A. Finalists were #1 (Jay Cty) and #6 (Western) in state qualifiers for all of 2A team state

1A. Finalists were #1 (Tell City) and #3 (Adams Central) in state qualifiers for all of 1A team state

Numbers of state qualifiers follows closely team state results, at least for finalists.

AStJ

First, I want say that I love reading the stats you all break down.  They are fun and interesting to see.  However, I want to add a stat that I find interesting also.  While Greenfield had no state qualifiers this year, we won Connersville for the first time ever, placed 3rd at team state (we had never been) and won the HHC for the third straight year (first time in school history).  The HHC includes very tough teams such as New Pal (2 qualifiers), New Castle (3), Mt Vernon (3), Delta (4), Yorktown (1) and Pendleton (1).  I'm not sure many teams have had that kind of success with no state qualifiers.  And, while I am very disappointed that we didn't have a state qualifier, I am extremely proud of my team.  They are just that, a team.  No way we do the things we did this year without these kids wrestling for each other.  I am a proud coach!

On 2/15/2023 at 3:18 PM, maligned said:

Interesting that these 40 teams (13% of wrestling schools) have essentially exactly 50% of the state qualifiers (113 out of 224).

Actually, it kind of makes sense to me. The qualification is based on how far a teams individuals advanced in the individual tournament last year, so those teams should be returning wrestlers with the potential to advance this year.