Rianne Murphy?

navy80

Is she wrestling in high school? I looked up her middle school state results from 2019. Wow! She had wins over Ashton Jackson, Evan Seng, Dillion Graham, and Toby Billerman... 

She’s wrestling on the undercard of a Penn State card that features Dake, Snyder, etc. Does anyone have additional information on her? Does she have a background in BJJ or Judo? 

Edited by navy80

13 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

She is at Wyoming Seminary in Pennsylvania.

Sem has a national development program for women's freestyle and they have been kicking butt. Hopefully in the near future all high school girls wrestling will be freestyle to match the college system. 

Rianne is the real deal. In NWI there's a bjj school that easily has the best kids competition team in the Midwest and a national travel team that is top 10 in the country. Saturday classes focus on wrestling and bring in local high school wrestlers, coaches, etc. Bjj is notorious for teaching "guard pulling" and de-emphasizing takedowns, so these kids were blowing away the competition with their wrestling to get the match to the ground.

Rianne was among the first in a group of kids there that cross-trained in wrestling who are now making their way into the high school ranks and progressing very quickly. At least three of the placers at girls state got their start with this group. Four or five boys from the same group made it into the EC Semistate. Most of them "pause" their bjj careers in high school to focus on wrestling and will train at RWA and intend to circle back to the bjj after college.

The two sports are very complementary and give kids a great sense of body mechanics, mat awareness and make them very coachable. So, even with limited ability to train a lot of freestyle, you'll see these kids get thrown into a tournament and you can literally watch them figure it out after a match a two (you want me to lace their legs and do what?). The college coaches I've talked to notice this and are quick to point out that these are kids who haven't yet "peaked" and still have a lot of upside in a good college program.

Rianee was a pioneer in this group and the furthest advanced at having combined the two. I would not bet against seeing her emerge as a strong contender for a spot in the next two Olympic cycles (after this one). 

25 minutes ago, Matt Time said:

Rianne is the real deal. In NWI there's a bjj school that easily has the best kids competition team in the Midwest and a national travel team that is top 10 in the country. Saturday classes focus on wrestling and bring in local high school wrestlers, coaches, etc. Bjj is notorious for teaching "guard pulling" and de-emphasizing takedowns, so these kids were blowing away the competition with their wrestling to get the match to the ground.

Rianne was among the first in a group of kids there that cross-trained in wrestling who are now making their way into the high school ranks and progressing very quickly. At least three of the placers at girls state got their start with this group. Four or five boys from the same group made it into the EC Semistate. Most of them "pause" their bjj careers in high school to focus on wrestling and will train at RWA and intend to circle back to the bjj after college.

The two sports are very complementary and give kids a great sense of body mechanics, mat awareness and make them very coachable. So, even with limited ability to train a lot of freestyle, you'll see these kids get thrown into a tournament and you can literally watch them figure it out after a match a two (you want me to lace their legs and do what?). The college coaches I've talked to notice this and are quick to point out that these are kids who haven't yet "peaked" and still have a lot of upside in a good college program.

Rianee was a pioneer in this group and the furthest advanced at having combined the two. I would not bet against seeing her emerge as a strong contender for a spot in the next two Olympic cycles (after this one). 

This is awesome ! Can’t wait to see the others coming up as well . 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.