Jump to content

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, SWINfan said:

The MAC is absorbing the EWL conference and adding 7 teams next year giving MAC Wrestling a total of two teams.

MAC Expansion

We found out about this during the recruiting process. Carson was about a day away from signing with Hofstra in the EIWA which has the second most ncaa bids behind the big ten. He took a last minute visit to Ohio, loved the school and the coaches. We loved the fact that it was fairly close. Throw in the fact that the MAC was about to become a power conference!!!! We were sold. Should be a great conference. I think it should be similar to the EIWA in overall strength. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mattyb said:

We found out about this during the recruiting process. Carson was about a day away from signing with Hofstra in the EIWA which has the second most ncaa bids behind the big ten. He took a last minute visit to Ohio, loved the school and the coaches. We loved the fact that it was fairly close. Throw in the fact that the MAC was about to become a power conference!!!! We were sold. Should be a great conference. I think it should be similar to the EIWA in overall strength. 

Awesome! Good luck to Carson.

Let him know that if he feels compelled to continue his PB&J ritual, that I won't hold it against him😛

Link to post
Share on other sites

The MAC already had a number of associated team not normally in conference.  That’s a heck of a lot of non-MAC teams now to call it the MAC.  Just wish a few more traditional MAC schools would reinstate wrestling.   A good boost to the conference though who was a little down this year in NCAA bids.  Good to see the additional stepup in competitors and hopefully with it some additional NCAA bid consideration coming in the future. 

Edited by MattM
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the two combined would have gotten 39 allocated spots this year if it were one league (41 officially between them, but two spots wouldn't have been earned by the EWL without the 1-slot minimum requirement). The Big 12 has 53, the EIWA 47, and the ACC 37 by comparison.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, maligned said:

Looks like the two combined would have gotten 39 allocated spots this year if it were one league (41 officially between them, but two spots wouldn't have been earned by the EWL without the 1-slot minimum requirement). The Big 12 has 53, the EIWA 47, and the ACC 37 by comparison.

Only issue with those numbers maybe that each conference champ got an automatic bid.  So the merger would take away 10 of those bids, making the the combined 39 not look as solid.  The MAC had somewhat of a down year, so I'm thinking/hoping the merger can only help draw more solid wrestlers to those specific teams.   Their is hope for the future that the combination will strengthen the competition of the conference and keep them around 35-40 spots in the future.  That doesn't get them to Big 10 status, but definitely would help keep them competitive with the next 3 conferences.  

Edited by MattM
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, MattM said:

Only issue with those numbers maybe that each conference champ got an automatic bid.  So the merger would take away 10 of those bids, making the the combined 39 not look as solid.  The MAC had somewhat of a down year, so I'm thinking/hoping the merger can only help draw more solid wrestlers to those specific teams.   Their is hope for the future that the combination will strengthen the competition of the conference and keep them around 35-40 spots in the future.  That doesn't get them to Big 10 status, but definitely would help keep them competitive with the next 3 conferences.  

I didn't explain myself very well. I looked at each bid individually. The 2 conferences together got 41. But two of the ones from the EWL would not have been earned with the 1-bid minimum removed. Every bid by the MAC and all but those 2 by the EWL would have been earned by the auto bid criteria--meaning the 39 number is the right total if you treat the two conferences as one entity.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know Eastern Michigan is hurting financially and had to make a cut, albeit a silly one considering the low end cost of wrestling in terms of all sports. Hard for me to understand why Toledo, Bowling Green, and Western Michigan don't revive with all the talent in the Midwest. Ball State...come on boys Worthen Arena would be a great venue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Silvertone1696 said:

I know Eastern Michigan is hurting financially and had to make a cut, albeit a silly one considering the low end cost of wrestling in terms of all sports. Hard for me to understand why Toledo, Bowling Green, and Western Michigan don't revive with all the talent in the Midwest. Ball State...come on boys Worthen Arena would be a great venue.

Likely boils down to Title IX and the requirement of having the same  # of men's and women's sports.  Sports like wrestling often get chopped if there are not enough women's sports to offset.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.