East Chicago Semi state Rankings

ontherise219

I posted them before the start of the post season now that semi state is finished here is how they held up.

56 wrestlers punched a ticket Saturday. 5 were not in the final semi state rankings 89.3 percent 

132 Aaron Orr Rochester 12 34-7 d #8 Blake Strawsma

*152 Matt Burns Hobart 11 24-7 d #7 Lucas Scott Lowell(Micah Calhoun d #6 Cody Widner)

195 Cedrick Vakalahi Penn 12 22-8 d Jeremy Torres Portage( d #7 Devin Moore)

*195 Damari Embery South Newton 30-1 d #9 Corrian Correll Laville

*220 Brandon Streck Merrillville 9-2 d #5 Dylan Trent West Lafayette

*were ranked at one point during the season.

Congratulations.  

#1's who were not champions. Congrats to Kasper McIntosh Portage and Tristan Dembowski for knocking off the #1's 138,145

Thank you to everyone who sent in information I really appreciate it.

Not sure if it was posted anywhere else, but I thought East Chicago did a very good job with the tournament Saturday.  Everything but the placement of the spotlight during the finals introductions seemed to be spot on from what I could see.  Plenty of seating and as usual great wrestling.  Heck, there were even shuttle buses in the parking lot to take you from one side of the school to the other so you didn't have to freeze walking.

Also a break down by regional.

Qualifiers

Calumet- 18

Rochester-15

Crown point-15

Logansport- 8

Championship

Calumet-7

Crown point-4

Rochester-3

Runners up

Calumet-7

Rochester-4

Crown point-3

3rd

Crown point-6

Logansport-4

Rochester-3

Calumet-1

4th

Rochester-5

Logansport-4

Calumet-3

Crown point-2

By grade

Seniors-25

Juniors-11

Sophomore-11

Freshman-2

Champs by grade

Seniors-9 great senior class

Juniors-4

Sophomores-1

Surprised somebody didn't mention this earlier,  the 120 ticket round match between the Culver Academies kid and Anderson from Jeff was messed up.   That was   crazy to call a technical violation for pushing the kid out of bounds while he had a leg and was in control from top position with 19 seconds left and  he was up 1-0.  I don't know if I ever seen that call.   Then in overtime the referees pulls a Steve Harvey on Anderson and gives him two points,  then he goes to the table and says he never put up the points.  Tough loss for Anderson, and hope it motivates him for next year. 

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

Surprised somebody didn't mention this earlier, the 120 ticket round match between the Culver Academies kid and Anderson from Jeff was messed up. That was crazy to call a technical violation for pushing the kid out of bounds while he had a leg and was in control from top position with 19 seconds left and he was up 1-0. I don't know if I ever seen that call. Then in overtime the referees pulls a Steve Harvey on Anderson and gives him two points, then he goes to the table and says he never put up the points. Tough loss for Anderson, and hope it motivates him for next year.

Also in ot when Anderson locked up a cradle he awarded the 2 then started to count back. Brutal call for Anderson

I also wasn't aware of the call on mat 4 in the Scott/burns match where they wiped 4 points.

Also in ot when Anderson locked up a cradle he awarded the 2 then started to count back. Brutal call for Anderson

I also wasn't aware of the call on mat 4 in the Scott/burns match where they wiped 4 points.

Officiating was pretty good, with a couple glaring mistakes like the two mentioned above.

Surprised somebody didn't mention this earlier,  the 120 ticket round match between the Culver Academies kid and Anderson from Jeff was messed up.   That was  crazy to call a technical violation for pushing the kid out of bounds while he had a leg and was in control from top position with 19 seconds left and  he was up 1-0.  I don't know if I ever seen that call.   Then in overtime the referees pulls a Steve Harvey on Anderson and gives him two points,  then he goes to the table and says he never put up the points.  Tough loss for Anderson, and hope it motivates him for next year. 

It was a horrible Ref job! He got screwed out of his chance for State but yes it will motivate him for next year. He didn't lose the match it was taken from him. I'm not sure why the clock wasn't stopped when he got the 2 points. It should have ended there. I'm not sure why no one could over rule that ref, especially on the 2nd screw up. Many coaches and even the head IHSAA ref told Jon and Coach Miller that he got screwed but there is nothing in the rule books to over ride the mat judge. It's been hard to handle seeing him going out like that as a parent. He will improve, refine and learn for his final high school season next year! This will not deter him from becoming the best he can be! I couldn't be more proud of how he handled it with class even though he was thoroughly disgusted at the calls and giving and taking away of his points. I feel Coach Miller did a great job, the best he could, trying to right the injustice done to Jon. From here we move on and put it behind us. We will go to Indy Friday and cheer on all the guys that did make it to state from our area!

Mike, you once again nailed it! We all thank you for the time and knowledge you put in for our enjoyment. Very much appreciated and your rankings help make this site one of the best in the country.

Thanks howie I appreciate also thank you for all the work you put in at new castle you do a great job!

Many coaches and even the head IHSAA ref told Jon and Coach Miller that he got screwed but there is nothing in the rule books to over ride the mat judge. 

The head official actually said this?  I really doubt that the head official would bad mouth other officials mat side at the tournament.  Even if the official made the incorrect call.  I would think it would be a little more politically correct than the way you put it, if anything was said like this at all.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.