Castle regionals

1prouddad

Brackets are up. Barring some upsets, there's some pretty good semi final matches

113-Horty(Me) vs McKinney(Pr)

120-Miller(NPo) vs Bealmer(Ca)

126-Happe(EMD) vs Craig(Re) Dillbeck(GS) vs Willis(Ca)

132-Clopton(Ca) vs Elpers(No)

145-Bethel(MV) vs Burke(No)

152-Williams(Me) vs Baehl(GS)

170-Dowell(Ca) vs Owens(PC)

Thoughts and predictions?

Edited by 1prouddad

Predictions:

106- Egli, Casebolt, Rice, Hall...Egli is head and shoulders above everyone, I expect Casebolt to close the gap but not enough to take the Regional crown.

113- Annakin, Horty, McKinney, Fisher...Just think what Annakin would be like with a full healthy season. I don't see Horty making this one close. Could McKinney pull the upset in the Semis???

120- Luigs, Miller, Bealmear, Teague...Miller vs Bealmear in the Semis will be the match in this bracket. Bealmear is coming off some big wins, I'll take the returning SQ this time around.

126- Willis, Gorman, Dilbeck, Happe...Can Craig bounce back? 2 returning SSQ go at it round 1 trying to get back to Semi-State. Would've liked to see Dilbeck vs Willis in the finals but Happe had different plans. The Regional final will happen in the Semi Finals in this bracket.

132- Lee, Elpers, Clopton, Schaefer...Lee is on his path to Chad Red and nobody is getting in his way.

138- Jourdan, Ramsey, Fehrenbacher, Singleton...I expect another high scoring match in the finals but Jourdan comes out on top again.

145- Lee, Bethel, Wilson, Burke...toughest weight in the Regional. What tricks will Bethel have up his sleeve this week? Look forward to watching this weight.

152- Lehman, Baehl, Williams, Keller...another weight that is deep with talent. I like Lehman but 2-4 could go any way.

160- Farmer, O'Neal, Rodgers, Carr...Farmer is the favorite but O'Neal is having a great season and could knock off Farmer. Carr with a losing record and potentially being a SSQ.

170- Dowell, Garnett, Owens, Guerrier...Garnett closed the gap at Sectionals after getting pinned by Dowell in the SIAC finals, could he pull the upset this time around? Guerrier is a sleeper here, only lost 1-0 to Dowell at SIAC and coming off an impressive Sectional.

182- Mohler, Orth, McKinley, Hoover...Mohler had a big win over McKinley at the Sectional, he keeps it going at the Regional.

195- Wilderman, Lang, Barclay, Gahagen...another weight that can go anyway 2-4. Wilderman is the favorite but this weight will be fun to watch.

220- Choate, Sisk, Boots, Halbig...Choate shouldn't be touched.

285- Ripple, Klem, Libby, Fleck...Ripple avenges his only loss of the season with a controlling 6-1 win over Klem. I like these 2 in the finals the next 2 weekends.

Like always, should be another meat grinder in Paradise. Lots of potential upsets and the team race between Castle and Mater Dei should be exciting.

Predictions:

106- Egli, Casebolt, Rice, Hall...Egli is head and shoulders above everyone, I expect Casebolt to close the gap but not enough to take the Regional crown.

113- Annakin, Horty, McKinney, Fisher...Just think what Annakin would be like with a full healthy season. I don't see Horty making this one close. Could McKinney pull the upset in the Semis???

120- Luigs, Miller, Bealmear, Teague...Miller vs Bealmear in the Semis will be the match in this bracket. Bealmear is coming off some big wins, I'll take the returning SQ this time around.

126- Willis, Gorman, Dilbeck, Happe...Can Craig bounce back? 2 returning SSQ go at it round 1 trying to get back to Semi-State. Would've liked to see Dilbeck vs Willis in the finals but Happe had different plans. The Regional final will happen in the Semi Finals in this bracket.

132- Lee, Elpers, Clopton, Schaefer...Lee is on his path to Chad Red and nobody is getting in his way.

138- Jourdan, Ramsey, Fehrenbacher, Singleton...I expect another high scoring match in the finals but Jourdan comes out on top again.

145- Lee, Bethel, Wilson, Burke...toughest weight in the Regional. What tricks will Bethel have up his sleeve this week? Look forward to watching this weight.

152- Lehman, Baehl, Williams, Keller...another weight that is deep with talent. I like Lehman but 2-4 could go any way.

160- Farmer, O'Neal, Rodgers, Carr...Farmer is the favorite but O'Neal is having a great season and could knock off Farmer. Carr with a losing record and potentially being a SSQ.

170- Dowell, Garnett, Owens, Guerrier...Garnett closed the gap at Sectionals after getting pinned by Dowell in the SIAC finals, could he pull the upset this time around? Guerrier is a sleeper here, only lost 1-0 to Dowell at SIAC and coming off an impressive Sectional.

182- Mohler, Orth, McKinley, Hoover...Mohler had a big win over McKinley at the Sectional, he keeps it going at the Regional.

195- Wilderman, Lang, Barclay, Gahagen...another weight that can go anyway 2-4. Wilderman is the favorite but this weight will be fun to watch.

220- Choate, Sisk, Boots, Halbig...Choate shouldn't be touched.

285- Ripple, Klem, Libby, Fleck...Ripple avenges his only loss of the season with a controlling 6-1 win over Klem. I like these 2 in the finals the next 2 weekends.

Like always, should be another meat grinder in Paradise. Lots of potential upsets and the team race between Castle and Mater Dei should be exciting.

Look for Joe Lee to make a statement on Saturday.  I don't see Bethel getting him again.

Bethel is a good fundamental wrestler, but as far as being on the same level as Lee......i beg to differ.

Heres my reasoning:

He's lost 2 very close matches to Timberman with one going to overtime.

He gave 3X state qualifier 2X placer McCormick possibly his toughest match of the year in a 4-1 loss.

He's pinned both Joe and Brayton- both tough as nails to beat by pts let alone PF

So, I'd say fundamentally, he's right there. What Joe does have over his opponents, is his tenacity. He comes at you hard and if that can be handled as Timberman and Bethel have done, then Joe's not sitting all alone. Win lose or draw, it's always exciting as a spectator to watch when these guys hit the mat. One never knows what's going to happen.

I'm not convinced that Bethel handled the tenacity all that well.  Lee was up 7-2 when the fall occurred.  After Lee put Bethel on his back, Bethel looked out on his feet.  Took a long time to get back to the middle and get ready to go.  Lee cut him and Bethel rolled through on a shot by Lee and got him.  Great job by Bethel to get it done.  I think it was a case of Joe's tenacity working against him.

I'm not convinced that Bethel handled the tenacity all that well.  Lee was up 7-2 when the fall occurred.  After Lee put Bethel on his back, Bethel looked out on his feet.  Took a long time to get back to the middle and get ready to go.  Lee cut him and Bethel rolled through on a shot by Lee and got him.  Great job by Bethel to get it done.  I think it was a case of Joe's tenacity working against him.

I can agree with that fact.

Heres my reasoning:

He's lost 2 very close matches to Timberman with one going to overtime.

He gave 3X state qualifier 2X placer McCormick possibly his toughest match of the year in a 4-1 loss.

He's pinned both Joe and Brayton- both tough as nails to beat by pts let alone PF

So, I'd say fundamentally, he's right there. What Joe does have over his opponents, is his tenacity. He comes at you hard and if that can be handled as Timberman and Bethel have done, then Joe's not sitting all alone. Win lose or draw, it's always exciting as a spectator to watch when these guys hit the mat. One never knows what's going to happen.

Bethels fundamentals are not on the same plane as those of lee. Not close. If they were close, you would have seen joe have difficulty getting to his legs, scoring takedowns, defending austins's attacks, etcetera. You saw none of those things in their match.

Austin's wins over joe and b.lee are also not comparable. I believe he was leading Braylon when he got the fall?

However, Austin is strong, quick and obviously, can pull a big move out of the hat. You saw it happen on Saturday! If you took a poll of the most exciting wrestler in southern Indiana to watch, bethel might come out on top. You never know what he is going to do next.

So, the big question is can Austin overcome his fundamentals deficit and consistently pull out a big move to win with a fall against joe?

What does the smart money say?

To me that begs a question on strategy...   At what point is it best to not cut a good wrestler and wrestle from on top?  I'm not necessarily referring to Joe specifically.  I do think Joe initially took down Brandon James last year in their first match and immediately cut him, then got taken down and ultimately handled in that loss.  

I guess I'm asking is the situation with Joe and Bethel last week seen as the exception, or do some wrestlers possibly become so good on their feet that they don't work at wrestling on top enough?

Bethels fundamentals are not on the same plane as those of lee. Not close. If they were close, you would have seen joe have difficulty getting to his legs, scoring takedowns, defending austins's attacks, etcetera. You saw none of those things in their match.

Austin's wins over joe and b.lee are also not comparable. I believe he was leading Braylon when he got the fall?

However, Austin is strong, quick and obviously, can pull a big move out of the hat. You saw it happen on Saturday! If you took a poll of the most exciting wrestler in southern Indiana to watch, bethel might come out on top. You never know what he is going to do next.

So, the big question is can Austin overcome his fundamentals deficit and consistently pull out a big move to win with a fall against joe?

What does the smart money say?

I don't know if I'm smart money, but I would bet Joe wins 8 out of 10 times.    

To me that begs a question on strategy... At what point is it best to not cut a good wrestler and wrestle from on top? I'm not necessarily referring to Joe specifically. I do think Joe initially took down Brandon James last year in their first match and immediately cut him, then got taken down and ultimately handled in that loss.

I guess I'm asking is the situation with Joe and Bethel last week seen as the exception, or do some wrestlers possibly become so good on their feet that they don't work at wrestling on top enough?

you definitely have some good points to your argument. I agree that Joe can be a little too agressive and it might put him in a bad predicament.

I can't believe there isn't more talk on here. Castle regional use to be pretty wild! Is the wrestling down or just not much to talk about?

I think most of this years wildness will occur in the first and second rounds. The prelims will be unusually good this year

Here is the Track Wrestling Link.  I'll post updates periodically for those that can't be there.  Updates will come from TW so if anyone is there and wants to correct or add anything, go for it!   :)

edit: Can't seem to get Track Wrestling links to work....  The easy way for me is to go to TW, Click on Events (upper right side) and then Search Events.  Look for State Held In in the middle of the search menu and use the drop menu to select Indiana.  That will pull all Indiana regionals today and Castle is 5th on the list.

Edited by SWINfan

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.