Reitz vs Mater Dei

bandit1990

Was disappointed at the crowd size Mater Dei had half the gym filled and I'm guessing but it only looked as if Reitz had 75 fans there! Granted there were only a handful of matches that were really worth watching. I thought the Craig vs Luigs was one of the matches I thought would of been better Craig seemed to lack motivation after Luigs got the first takedown. Blake Jourdan stopped his opponent from throwing him and threw a headlock(which I hate and think it's a last chance move) I believe I heard the Reitz kid gasp and cry from the shock and awe of it. The 182 lb match was an ok match 195 and 220 were ok as well. Mater Dei in my opinion is lacking the fire they once had! They are still a good team with some outstanding wrestlers and some wrestlers that are good and will get better over time and hopefully they get some motivation.

Was disappointed at the crowd size Mater Dei had half the gym filled and I'm guessing but it only looked as if Reitz had 75 fans there! Granted there were only a handful of matches that were really worth watching. I thought the Craig vs Luigs was one of the matches I thought would of been better Craig seemed to lack motivation after Luigs got the first takedown. Blake Jourdan stopped his opponent from throwing him and threw a headlock(which I hate and think it's a last chance move) I believe I heard the Reitz kid gasp and cry from the shock and awe of it. The 182 lb match was an ok match 195 and 220 were ok as well. Mater Dei in my opinion is lacking the fire they once had! They are still a good team with some outstanding wrestlers and some wrestlers that are good and will get better over time and hopefully they get some motivation.

I, too, was disappointed with reitz's crowd. This rivalry is over 60 years old and is traditionally one of the best in the state. I would think that panther fans would do a better job of supporting their team.

I have watched Blake Jourdan for a number of years; attempt to throw him at your own peril.

There were really only two good matches-- 170 and 120. On another day, the other kid could win. The other 12 weights had clear victors.

I'm not sure about the motivation, reitz and mater dei kids put out a supreme effort for this meet. Look no further than Tucker's countenance after his win. I'm sure that young man will remember this night for many years.

Mater dei beat reitz last year 70-0 with a state championship team dominated by seniors. Considering that this team is young and had three starters on the bench, a 65-point output seems like an acceptable performance.

I hate seeing the Reitz program in the dumps like it's been the last few years. I understand how difficult it can be to maintain a consistently productive program, but Reitz has fallen much harder than I would've expected. Is their club program still operating? Their SIW club was fantastic when I was growing up, loaded with young talent, producing so many good wrestlers in the last 10-12 years. When the last wave of them went through(Moody, Vanhook, Kuhn boys, Johns boys, etc.), I just assumed their would be another group step in behind them. What gives?

I wish my program was down in the dumps like reitz. If having a bad couple years meant having winning dual records and being in the top half of the SIAC, sending several kids to regional, semi state, and having a few make it to state, then I'd be glad to be as bad as they have been. Sorry for the sarcasm, I'm just not sure how they are down in the dumps

I wish my program was down in the dumps like reitz. If having a bad couple years meant having winning dual records and being in the top half of the SIAC, sending several kids to regional, semi state, and having a few make it to state, then I'd be glad to be as bad as they have been. Sorry for the sarcasm, I'm just not sure how they are down in the dumps

You're right. I guess my remarks came off a bit brash. When you put it that way, yeah, they're doing just fine. My apologies. 

If you look of years past the MD wrestler is expected to win most of the time just because of the name. They did win the other night. I know times have changed and with everything changing these young kids think that just doing enough to cross the threshold is good enough. I'm not saying all of the wrestlers at MD lack motivation because that is would be a lie but if you have been around the Mater Dei program as long as some of us you will see the difference in the level of intensity that has deminished over time. I know this is probably going to upset some MD fans but this is my opinion of it! I can honestly say that one of my favorite wrestlers of the last four years at MD was Alex Johnson because he wrestled from whistle to whistle and that did not matter if he was winning or losing!

If you look of years past the MD wrestler is expected to win most of the time just because of the name. They did win the other night. I know times have changed and with everything changing these young kids think that just doing enough to cross the threshold is good enough. I'm not saying all of the wrestlers at MD lack motivation because that is would be a lie but if you have been around the Mater Dei program as long as some of us you will see the difference in the level of intensity that has deminished over time. I know this is probably going to upset some MD fans but this is my opinion of it! I can honestly say that one of my favorite wrestlers of the last four years at MD was Alex Johnson because he wrestled from whistle to whistle and that did not matter if he was winning or losing!

As a Castle parent, I disagree wholeheartedly that Mater Dei's intensity as diminished.  Phhhht.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.