Randy May

brickfor6

I have always heard stories of Randy May from my father and uncle. I know he was a 3x undefeated state champ, but what happened his freshman year? My dad seems to think that Bloomington South did not let Freshman wrestle Varsity. If this is true wouldn't he be considered an undefeated HS wrestler as well? In the books with Lance Ellis and Alex Tsirtsis. Just trying to get some facts, because I heard this guy was a bad dude!

Well I know this guy well. He wrestled Ralph "Jigger " Smith from Muncie Southside in the State Final match in 1976. They didn't let freshman wrestle varsity back then. I know at Muncie Southside they didn't. Jigger wrestled him 3 times losing all three matches. Jigger was a three time state qualifier. Funny thing is Jigger helps me coach at Hamilton Heights.

When the Ancient Elder used to post on here he considered Randy May one of the best ever high school wrestlers this state has seen.

I miss him...and his book was amazing...

A tragic side story to Randys high school accomplishments, is he never wrestled a meaningful NCCA match. After getting a scholarship to one of the high profile wrestling schools in college, Cleveland State, He developed an illness that rendered him paralyzed in both legs, before he wrestled a single match. He remained in school and through rehab and therapy was able to walk again with help. In his senior year the coach set up a match for Randy at one of their dual meets. There was not a doubt that when he wrestled in high school, if freshman would have been eligible, that Randy May would have been a 4x'er.

Randy May and one of the Center Grove Gaskins brothers (Tom?) was one of, if not, the best HS matches I have ever witnessed. I think it was May's Senior year at the Semi-State. If I recall correctly Gaskins was the only one to challenge May in the tourney that year. He ended up with May early and didn't move on. Smith was one heck of a wrestler, but I believe it was a pretty lopsided final.

Edited by gsmith58

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.