Coaches Choice?

StevieWonder

Am I too far removed from High School wrestling with my elevated age that things have changed on how varsity spots are earned? I always remember challenges between 2 or more kids @ a similar weight determining who was varsity & junior varsity. I was informed last night that a local high school kid (no not my son), a senior, was informed by his head coach that even if he made weight & won his wrestle off, he was not guaranteed a varsity spot on his team. Lots of variables I know, before you ask...grades? Not an issue, high honor roll. Attitude? No way, young man is quiet & well manored. He has wrestled for 7-8 years, decided he wanted to make his senior year special so he dropped 15-20 lbs, with extra workouts on his own time, showed up every practice/workout, & won the battle for his weight class & was told by his clueless coach that he is not sure he will allow him to wrestle varsity, the young man he beat may be "chosen" over him for the starting line up. Since when does the wrestle off between the 2 athletes, decided in the room, on the mat, not decide who is varsity?

Am I too far removed from High School wrestling with my elevated age that things have changed on how varsity spots are earned? I always remember challenges between 2 or more kids @ a similar weight determining who was varsity & junior varsity. I was informed last night that a local high school kid (no not my son), a senior, was informed by his head coach that even if he made weight & won his wrestle off, he was not guaranteed a varsity spot on his team. Lots of variables I know, before you ask...grades? Not an issue, high honor roll. Attitude? No way, young man is quiet & well manored. He has wrestled for 7-8 years, decided he wanted to make his senior year special so he dropped 15-20 lbs, with extra workouts on his own time, showed up every practice/workout, & won the battle for his weight class & was told by his clueless coach that he is not sure he will allow him to wrestle varsity, the young man he beat may be "chosen" over him for the starting line up. Since when does the wrestle off between the 2 athletes, decided in the room, on the mat, not decide who is varsity?

The only explanation would be if he felt like he was or is cutting to much weight.  Other than that wrestle offs are the only way to go.

I have seen kids who were triple crown winners cut due to attitude and work ethic....there is def more to this 'story'. Granted I have also seen coaches refuse to let kids who beat seniors wrestle just because of it being their "Senior Year"...but those programs were the ones who seemed to lack any sort of success.

You must be a coach.  Every wrestler out there would disagree with you at the H.S level.

Keep the politics out of wrestling.  That is what makes us great! No politics.

Collage is way different than H.S.

There is way more to the story than is being told. I find it hard to believe a coach would purposely hold out a best wrestler at a weight without good reason. 

The best thing about wrestling is, that you get to win your spot by winning the challenge match.   This happens in most cases.  If a coach makes an exception to this rule,  he really should give an explanation.   Where is the explanation from thiscoach?   There has to be a piece of information missing from this story.   

Ive seen other team sports, and there normally is a  contorversy of who starts.   Its all subject to the coaches judgment.  Baseball and softball are really bad at this.  But you got to respect the honor in the wrestling challenge system. 

It's pretty simple to me, 2 kids at a weight, winner gets the spot. Sometimes if you have 2 equal wrestlers who have a close wrestle off, I would make it 2 out of 3 to get the spot. But, in some cases I've told kids that you may win the wrestle off, but if your attendance at practice, work ethic, attitude, etc aren't very good then the spot can be taken from you by a coaches decision.

The best thing about wrestling is, that you get to win your spot by winning the challenge match.   This happens in most cases.  If a coach makes an exception to this rule,  he really should give an explanation.   Where is the explanation from thiscoach?   There has to be a piece of information missing from this story.   

Ive seen other team sports, and there normally is a  contorversy of who starts.   Its all subject to the coaches judgment.  Baseball and softball are really bad at this.  But you got to respect the honor in the wrestling challenge system. 

The kid and the coach know the reason. In my limited experience, I have seen kids not tell the whole story to his parents or even tell his parents anything past "coach won't let me wrestle even though I beat so and so."

If it is for non-wrestling disipline issues.  I am 100% on the side of the coach.

If it is just the coach making a choice... that is a different story.   But I would agree,  that there is probably another

side of the story.

I really appreciate all the input & as I stated in my original post, I am not directly involved, but do know both the coach & young man involved. For those that are implying there is a disciplinary reason, absolutely not the case. Attitude, grades & attendance are all on point. Yes matches are close & neither are ranked or "studs" but the outcome is the same, a close victory by same young man each time. Odd part is both kids are friends & get along, while one is disappointed in the coaches decision, the other appears almost embarrassed by accepting a spot he hasn't "earned".

I really appreciate all the input & as I stated in my original post, I am not directly involved, but do know both the coach & young man involved. For those that are implying there is a disciplinary reason, absolutely not the case. Attitude, grades & attendance are all on point. Yes matches are close & neither are ranked or "studs" but the outcome is the same, a close victory by same young man each time. Odd part is both kids are friends & get along, while one is disappointed in the coaches decision, the other appears almost embarrassed by accepting a spot he hasn't "earned".

If what is say is true.  It makes no sense as is.  Winner gets the spot.

I would suggest taking it up with the coach.  If you have issue with the way it is being handeled.

My intentions were not to bash a coach, school or program & I most certainly would never put the kid on front street by using names or specifics. I was simply curious if wrestle offs were still predominately the method used by most high schools to determine starting line-ups or if things were turning, as Y2 suggested, to more of the college approach. I have suggested to the father & son, a simple meeting with the coach would be best for all involved.

After reading all of the other responses I agree that there is more to this. The one thought that comes to mind that no one else mentioned is, can it be possible that the wrestler that won the wrestle off but did not get the spot is great in the room but not as good in true matches? Does the looser of the wrestler off beat the wrestlers that beat the winner? Just some thoughts, good luck to the wrestler and the team.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.