NWCA Scholastic Duals - Where did everyone go??

samaj

This years event is two days away and looking at the team list is very disheartening.

Only 7 states represented - VA, IN, OH, MN, KY, IL, COL

- what happened to NJ, PA, NY, DE, FL, GA, NE, Maryland, MI, TX? all who have had teams in the past???

5 teams from Indiana

6 from Ohio

3 from Minnesota (new state!!  great to hear)

3 from Illinois

3 from KY

1 from VA

1 from CO

and of course...New Jersey has backed out I guess!

Sounds more like a "midwest all star classic" these days.  It seems that it was ok for the midwest states to travel to the east coast for years and years but since the event was moved from the east to the midwest the east coast guys are too good to come compete in a more centrally located venue.

This is still a great event but it could be so much more!!!!!

But yet John Cook and TomCat Miller wouldn't let Indiana's best wrestlers pick what team they wanted to be on because they wanted to see Indiana "win a national championship".  Some national championship this is... They should call it the "Good Ole' Boys Money-Makin' Classic".

But yet John Cook and TomCat Miller wouldn't let Indiana's best wrestlers pick what team they wanted to be on because they wanted to see Indiana "win a national championship".  Some national championship this is... They should call it the "Good Ole' Boys Money-Makin' Classic".

Nice.... way offer input and really class up this thread...

The teams involved have nothing to do with Tom Miller.  That's a totally different topic and one that is trying to be worked on by many involved to clear up the confusion and give kids a better option than they have every had.  The purpose of my post was not to beat up Tom Miller.

It is about promotion plain and simple. 

Just as an example, for the IHPO I go onto Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Kentucky, Missouri and other states messageboards to promote the event.  For an event like this it just takes a couple contacts in 15 states to get this done.  I am pretty certain the reason that Minnesota is bringing a team is due to Bobby Steveson's dad knowing about the event and helping to organize teams.

There are great ways to bring teams in.

-Offer a discounted entry fee if a new state enters for a couple years.

-Get college coaches to come

-Get great hotel and/or food deals for teams, its frickin' Crawfordsville the hotels and restaurants would love the business.

- PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE the event!

138lbs, depending on the pools and matchups COULD be unbelievable.

Tommy Cash (Indiana State Champ this season)

Jacob Covaciu (Indiana Runner-up this season)

Drew Hughes (2nd and 5th @ Indiana State Finals)

Jake Tucker (5th at Illinois 3A this season)

Brent Moore (FLO Nationals Champion last weekend)

JJ Wolfe (IL 1A Champ, Folkstyle Nationals-5th last weekend)

JD Stone (VA Runner up this season)

James Pleski (40-4 season record and State Finalist/multi-placer)

**Add in Former IN wrestler Ryan Ford into this weight class. (OH placer)

It doesn't get much better than that!!! Some great wrestling!!!!

138lbs, depending on the pools and matchups COULD be unbelievable.

Tommy Cash (Indiana State Champ this season)

Jacob Covaciu (Indiana Runner-up this season)

Drew Hughes (2nd and 5th @ Indiana State Finals)

Jake Tucker (5th at Illinois 3A this season)

Brent Moore (FLO Nationals Champion last weekend)

JJ Wolfe (IL 1A Champ, Folkstyle Nationals-5th last weekend)

JD Stone (VA Runner up this season)

James Pleski (40-4 season record and State Finalist/multi-placer)

**Add in Former IN wrestler Ryan Ford into this weight class. (OH placer)

It doesn't get much better than that!!! Some great wrestling!!!!

That is a stud list..lots of great kids at that weight..

IL should take care of MN without too much trouble.

Not sure that's true. I haven't analyzed all the individual matchups, but a quick run through the Genius system using the 6 gold pool matches so far suggest Illinois is only a 0.5-point favorite over Minnesota (even with the gigantic win over Ohio).  They're favored by 12 over Indiana.  Indiana is favored by 15 in its first match against Colorado this morning.

After a weaker performance by Minnesota and a strong one by Illinois, it looks like Illinois is more like a 7-point favorite against Minnesota.  Illinois still favored by about 12 against Indiana.

IL should take care of MN without too much trouble.

Last update after 12 gold pool matches: Illinois favored by 4 to win the title.  Indiana a huge favorite against Ohio, the weakest team in the gold pool.

I was definitely wrong about MN and IL. i wasn't too impressed with MN's middle weights on the first day, but they came ready to roll on day 2. Plus McKee pinned the double Fargo finalist, which really put IL in a deep hole. MN was tremendous on day 2 and they deserved the title. They said they will be back next year, which I hope is true.

Great, entertaining tourney, for sure.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.