New Indiana Team for Scholastic Duals April 10-12 - We have been turned down.

Clint Gard

I am trying to put together a team for the scholastic duals on April 10-12th.  This team is not affiliated with the IHSWCA teams.  I am simply doing this to give kids from Central Indiana a chance to wrestle in a great event against great competition.  I will be honest and upfront...I just spoke with Mr. Cook and right now he is asking me to hold off on sending the $500 and entry form.  He was very open and said he doesn't want too many Indiana teams.  He asked me to call him back in 2 weeks and if there is a need for a team, he will let us in.  So right now there are no guarantees that we will be allowed in but I want to provide this opportunity to underclassmen that get overlooked.

Having said that...

If you are interested, email me at clint.gard@zebras.net.  I am looking at getting sponsorship to help with the cost.  I want to make it as cost effective as possible.  You will get a team singlet, sweatshirt, shorts as part of the cost.  The Rochester Wrestling Club will be paying the entry fee and that will NOT be part of your cost.  My goal is to keep it less than $200 for each wrestler.

Right now here is what I have...I will not put names until confirmed 100%

106 - 1st Team filled

113 - 1st Team filled

120 - 1st Team filled (waiting to hear back on second team)

126 - 1st Team filled and 2nd Team filled

132 - 1st Team filled

138 - 1st Team Filled, 2nd Team Filled

145 - First Team filled

152 - 1st Team filled

160 - 1st Team filled

170 - 1st Team filled

182 - 1st Team filled

195 - 1st Team filled

220 - 1st Team filled

285 - 1st Team (Waiting to hear back) 2nd Team filled (Could move to 1st Team)

Shaping up fast and it's turning in to a pretty good team...hopefully we can get in this thing and give these kids a chance to show off.

As soon as we fill out the team and I get 100% commitments, I will announce the list.  I like that kids are stepping up and wanting to do this.  We need to give kids opportunities!

I certainly hope we are able to get in to this...I feel like this is a pretty good little team...

Nothing is set in stone yet.  I will be talking with John Cook next week and hopefully we can get it this done.  I will be contacting each of you next week to, hopefully, confirm we are in and that each of you will be wrestling.

106 - Blake Glogouski - Fairfield, Brady White - Rensselaer central

113 - Austin Holmes - HSE

120 - Quinn Harris - Avon, Steven Muthart - CMA

126 - John Hunting - Rochester, Caleb Maddox - Western

132 - Devin Childers - Tippecanoe Valley,

138 - Cody Widner - Twin Lakes, Noah Trevino - CMA

145 - J. Heckathorn - Rochester

152 - Tre Lynch - New Albany,

160 - Jake Krause - Knox

170 - Brendon Helm - Avon

182 - Evan Elmore - Avon

195 - Wes Beck - Rochester

220 - Jordan Shafer - Rochester

285 - Isiah Bollenbacher - Adams Central

Joe,

I'm going with what John Cook told me which is to call him back next week and see if there is room for us.  I understand his position on not wanting too many Indiana Teams to take space away from other states IF they are bringing more than one team.  If not, and there is space, then I would "assume" we will be allowed to pay the $500 and enter. 

I have not heard from Tom and since he is not the tournament director, I am taking John Cook at his word.  I did not know the IHSWCA dictated how many teams from Indiana could get in.  I figured that was a NWCA decision.  I'm not looking to get into a pissing match with the coaches association but if they do dictate who can and can't enter and there are not 24 teams entered, then I would think they would let us in to round out the 24.  I'm just trying to get kids who want to wrestle the chance, to in fact, wrestle. 

Clint

Im not exactly sure why the IHSWCA has not made a public statement on this issue, and Im not trying to get in the middle of this mess.  I do however want to make a statement that I firmly believe to be true.  In my educated opinion, the decision on how many teams get to enter from Indiana is 100% the decision of John Cook.  John is the Tournament Director.  John works for the NWCA.  This event is an NWCA event.  I feel that John Cook needs to get in touch with those with kids and teams hanging in the balance and make a decision.  He is making the IHSWCA look bad at this point and the IHSWCA is an organization that I respect and support.  I would also advise the IHSWCA to make some type of statement on this matter so that the coaches all across the state can be informed versus trying to imagine just what the heck is going on. 

I think there is room for everyone in this event.  I think teams from Indiana can be very competitive and be used to fill out the brackets in this exceptional event.  I also think it would be great if we all got on the same page and pulled together for the sake of our state and the wrestlers we are all trying to help.  At this point I just hope it all works out for the kids who want to compete and the coaches who want to put in the time to help make them better.

Just spoke with John Cook and he will not let us bring a team this year.  He said that there were already too many Indiana Team entered and most likely next year they would be cutting back even more.  I apologize for not being able to get this done for the guys who wanted to wrestle.  I do appreciate all of the kids who wanted to step up and be on this team. 

If you have questions, feel free to contact me via PM.

Clint

Hopefully the positive of this is more tough teams from more states will be attending than have in previous years.  It would be nice to have an A teams of top placers from several good states, as well as, a few bringing a solid B team. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.