Class-by-class semi-state and state statistics

maligned

Coaching at a 1a school i will tell u if there were 2 classes and we had a couple kids make it to state on a regular basis it would have a huge impact. The school would get behind the sport more because administrator put money into winning programs. Also you would have more kids coming out for the sport because the see the success of the friends and classmate, so the program would grow and that would help wrestling overall. I can also guess that you would get alot more kids wrestling in collage and getting scholarships. Not everyone has  be a 3 time state champ and wrestle div. 1 to wrestle in collage. The more kids we get to come out for the sport and have success then wrestle in collage then come back to coach would onl help the sport. Sounds like a win win for the sport.

a mediocre kid making it to state because the number of kids at state increases will not get him looked at by a college.

and the thought that the school and community would get behind the sport is silly.  here in madison we win regionals and all we get to hear about around town is the girls bball team winning sectionals  with two state qualifiers the radio talks about everything they can in the sports section including local bball teams losses before they speak of wrestling for 10 seconds

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys on hear crack me up. So a kid thats 35-5 and cant make it is just a mediocre for example kris mckinnley who wrestles for indiana tech and is an all american , who also never made it to state , should have hung it up because collage dont look at mediocre kids. I i know in our town it wiuld have a huge impact if kids made it to state. Last year we had our first quilifier in 14 years and we had the administration going to all the tournaments and the state match was broadcast in the gym with hundreds of people watching. In our area it would be a big boost.

if you make 3 classes and qualify 16 to state then there would be 4th placers at regionals that are now state qualifiers.  does this not seem ridiculous to anyone else  how does it help the sport      if its all about more state qualifiers that will help your community and team and so on    lets have 6 classes    you can have 12 to 13 per sectional and the top 4 move on to state finals from 4 sectionals

I dont wont 6 classes and neither does anyone else. Indiana is big enough to have 2 classes. I think making it to state out of 150 plus teams is still going to take a very good wrestler. I know older former wrestlers dont like to change but its not about them anymore. Its about the kids.

if you make 3 classes and qualify 16 to state then there would be 4th placers at regionals that are now state qualifiers.  does this not seem ridiculous to anyone else  how does it help the sport      if its all about more state qualifiers that will help your community and team and so on    lets have 6 classes    you can have 12 to 13 per sectional and the top 4 move on to state finals from 4 sectionals

Y2 stated earlier 2 classes would be logical.  Making extreme arguments doesn't help your case.

I dont wont 6 classes and neither does anyone else. Indiana is big enough to have 2 classes. I think making it to state out of 150 plus teams is still going to take a very good wrestler. I know older former wrestlers dont like to change but its not about them anymore. Its about the kids.

i was a three time semi state qualifier  i didnt deserve to be a state qualifier because i didnt earn it  but if you add classes im going to want you to send me some medals that i would have earned under the new system

i was a three time semi state qualifier  i didnt deserve to be a state qualifier because i didnt earn it  but if you add classes im going to want you to send me some medals that i would have earned under the new system

Since that makes sense.

Boomer- There is no shame in being a Sectional or Regional Qualifier if you have given your all and done your best.

Not everyone should or deserves to be a State Qualifier. That is life.

My question after looking at this data is if the data is proportional to the number of kids wrestling.

The majority of 3A schools fill their lineup... In 2A there are les teams with a full lineup... And in 1A there is even more teams that do not have a full lineup... 

So if there are less wrestlers in 1A then shouldn't they have less state qualifiers than 3A or 2A?

1A and 2A teams that consistently have full lineups tend to perform well and have some state qualifiers and placers on a regular basis ( Adams Central, Yorktown, South Adams, Jay County, Garrett, etc..)

Is it all proportional ?

its not extreme  look at the list that Y2 put up  oregon has 200 wrestling teams and 5 classes  44 is the most in any class    arizona has 6 classes and only 172 teams

And who suggested we should go to Oregon or Arizona's system?  No one.

And who suggested we should go to Oregon or Arizona's system?  No one.

boomer said its a big boost to have state qualifiers that adds public intrest    so if half the state has state qualifiers then we could expect to see huge support state wide and massive amounts of new wrestlers joining the sport    so the argument for 6 classes seems like a great idea right???    just going by what boomer said

boomer said its a big boost to have state qualifiers that adds public intrest    so if half the state has state qualifiers then we could expect to see huge support state wide and massive amounts of new wrestlers joining the sport    so the argument for 6 classes seems like a great idea right???    just going by what boomer said

No you're not.  You took the most extreme example off of the data provided.  No one here, including boomer, thinks we need 6 classes. It's irrelevant to the conversation.

Thats not what i said. Just a chance to make it to state for the small schools. We all dont have 60 kids to chose from to fill our lineups, but we have to wrestle against them. A 2 class system would be perfect. So if your good enough to make it to the ss tcket round you woul probably be going to state. I think most people can agree that to make it to the ticket round you have to be very good. Im not for everyone making it, thats just stupid.

Great post!

I think most of us single class supporters are super duper uber competitive types. (or narrow-minded lol)

I was Indianapolis All-City in football and it always bothered me that I wasn't All County because those guys at BD and Warren were probably better.

I would have rather been 2nd or 3rd team All County because I could have gone head to head with the best instead of being a big fish in a small pond.

Just my opinion. I would still support Indiana wrestling and the "kids" regardless of the format.

Coaching at a 1a school i will tell u if there were 2 classes and we had a couple kids make it to state on a regular basis it would have a huge impact. The school would get behind the sport more because administrator put money into winning programs. Also you would have more kids coming out for the sport because the see the success of the friends and classmate, so the program would grow and that would help wrestling overall. I can also guess that you would get alot more kids wrestling in collage and getting scholarships. Not everyone has  be a 3 time state champ and wrestle div. 1 to wrestle in collage. The more kids we get to come out for the sport and have success then wrestle in collage then come back to coach would onl help the sport. Sounds like a win win for the sport.

if this is true then we should have 6 classes and that would make 96 state qualifiers per weight class  and that should get more kids coming out because they see the success of their friends  then there would be more scholarships handed out since there would be 84 state champions in indiana 

Thats not what i said. Just a chance to make it to state for the small schools. We all dont have 60 kids to chose from to fill our lineups, but we have to wrestle against them. A 2 class system would be perfect. So if your good enough to make it to the ss tcket round you woul probably be going to state. I think most people can agree that to make it to the ticket round you have to be very good. Im not for everyone making it, thats just stupid.

Boomer- You hit the nail on the head- "to make it to the ticket round you have to be very good".

I agree 100% with your statement.  These ticket rounders don't have to be State Qualifiers to lay claim that they are "very good wrestlers"...they are!!

Well there are a lot of ss ticket rounders who are deserving of making it to state, sawyer miller, for example.

I would agree Boomer.  But I think wrestle backs would fix that.  You are never going to get everyone to State that deserves it.  I am not huge on multiple class individual tournament.  I remember when Eastside was a power house and it wasn't classed then.  Actually my love for the sport came from that very same community.  I do like the team based classing.  Just not a fan of it at the individual level.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.