Weather Related Weight Allowance-Please Read

grecoref

If one school at a meet doesn’t have practice the day before the meet each team at the event would be allowed a one (1) pound allowance.

If one school at a meet doesn’t have practice for the two days before the meet each team at the event would be allowed a two (2) pound allowance.

If one school at a meet doesn’t have practice for three or more days before the meet each team at the event would be allow a maximum of a two (2) pound allowance.

If all schools at an event have practice the day before a meet, no allowance would be allowed.  The home school, or the Ads cannot get together and decide to allow a growth

It is considered a practice if it is voluntary or mandatory.

Tom Clark & Jim Russell

IHSAA Rules Interpreters

I just don't agree.

I think Optionals shouldn't count. That rule hurts schools that have both rural and city populations. W

How are optional practices mandated or kept track of?

How are mandatroy practices kept track of? I am hoping integrity would prevail.

what if.......

the preceeding two days before a meet there was no school but both teams were allowed to practice at the school......but starters johnny and billy couldn't get there for valid reasons (say their addition didn't get plowed).......so they did not get to practice with the handfull of kids that did make it......some get the 2lb allowance and some don't?......nobody gets it?......everybody gets it?......are those practices really considered official?.......sounds like some gray area here to me......i thought regardless of wether you had practice or not it had to with school being in session first........and only then do the practices count......

Alright... A little more clarification...

It's not whether your team practices or not.  The wording of the rule has to do with your school district allowing you to practice or not.  If your school district does not allow you to practice the day before the meet, then you (and all other teams) get the allowance.  If your school district allows you to practice (optional or mandatory, doesn't matter) then the rule doesn't play in.  If your district allows you to practice, but the head coach chooses not to have a practice (safety, time frame, notification, etc.) then there shouldn't be any allowance either.  The wording of the rule is all about district policy, not actual practices.

all or nothing what?......do the practices count if school wasn't in session?.......i realize that it's not a "some guys get it some don't" (sarcasm) thing.....it's rather the practices were official or not.......especially with the circumstances causing no school being weather related.....

If there was a practice (optional or mandatory), then it definitely counts.  There is no gray area, and it's pretty simple.

thanks!

it was a major topic in the stands last night....funny to listen to the many different definite ways that it was.....lol

When I posted this information this morning there were only two rules interpreters in the state of Indiana. Now I see there are several more. It's kind of like a 6-way on a Saturday...we start with 4 referees on 3 mats and the minute the 1st whistle blows we have about 200 addtional referees.

Please read what I posted because that is the way it will be interpreted. My job is not to agree or disagree with a rule. My job is to enforce the rule. When other referees try to tell me how they feel about a rule I ask them to talk with their wife or therapist about their feelings. When they tell me something isn't fair, I tell them the fair is in August at the corner of 38th and Fall Creek.

If you know me well then you know there might be just a hint of sarcasm in this post.

Tom,

With all sincerity I was sitting here bored, avoiding doing notes on IEP's and grades and decided to stir some crap on here.  It did provide me w/ a good 45 minutes of distraction. I guess since Coach Harrell went and got all technical on us, I'll just do grades now...

Tom,

With all sincerity I was sitting here bored, avoiding doing notes on IEP's and grades and decided to stir some crap on here.  It did provide me w/ a good 45 minutes of distraction. I guess since Coach Harrell went and got all technical on us, I'll just do grades now...

No problem...just remember what I have told you about the importance of rehydration.

When I posted this information this morning there were only two rules interpreters in the state of Indiana. Now I see there are several more. It's kind of like a 6-way on a Saturday...we start with 4 referees on 3 mats and the minute the 1st whistle blows we have about 200 addtional referees.

Please read what I posted because that is the way it will be interpreted. My job is not to agree or disagree with a rule. My job is to enforce the rule. When other referees try to tell me how they feel about a rule I ask them to talk with their wife or therapist about their feelings. When they tell me something isn't fair, I tell them the fair is in August at the corner of 38th and Fall Creek.

If you know me well then you know there might be just a hint of sarcasm in this post.

think about it though......a great way to save money.....instead of paying the real refs, just let those additional 200 do it......and on top of it all is that they paid to get in!......this might be the start of how we balance the national debt......

Club coaches don't count as coaches at Disney.

Or if you are a Michigan high school coach at Junior Nationals just wear a mask in order to not be easily identified on camera (some guy did this a few years back due to their states coaching rules).  For all the rules our state has for athletics, at least we don't have some of the ones which hinder other states. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.