Class of schools

jchas

The private/public thing goes way deeper than recruiting.

First off, EVERY private school recruits. They MUST or they will close their doors. Many times it doesn't take much as the kids have had parents, uncles, aunts, etc all go to that school so it is a given they will attend the said school. Also take a look at a private school's website and they almost always boost about high test scores, graduation rate and college acceptance rate. If a private school doesn't recruit they won't have students and thus tuition to pay the bills.

Secondly, you need to look at the types of kids that go to a private school vs. public. At a public school you have kids that don't want to be there, we all know those type of kids. They barely get by and obviously are not in extracurricular activities. Private schools have a lot less of these kids mainly because their parents are paying a good chunk of change for them to attend. Also you will have a lot less special education kids at private schools because they simply do not have the staff to support those kids. Those types of kids are also much less likely to participate in extracurricular activities. In the end those types of kids plus many others such as that means the school already has a built in percentage of kids not eligible or willing to participate in extracurricular activities.

Lastly, you need to look at the money side of things. Many times if a kid is attending a private school that hints at two other family characteristics. First most likely they are a two parent family. Everyone knows that having a stable home life never hurts kids academically or athletically. Second, if the family can afford $3-5K or more, they are usually more apt to afford camps or private lessons in athletics.

One last thing before people start naming kids who are the exceptions, I am speaking generally and know there are many, many exceptions to these.

a pretty accurate assessment I would say!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't realize private schools dominated our sport??  Football maybe, but not wrestling.

Mater Dei must "back".  It took less than 24 hours for recruiting implications to show up.

Ridiculous!

Classic post, and you are correct the private school haters will come out of the woodwork again, lol

jchas is just sour grapes, we go through this every season, then someone (hook and a half this year) posts where each and every MD kid comes from. Map or no map you can send your kid anywhere you want in indiana, so that argument has no bearing. Those young men and women in that little bitty school work their tails off in every aspect, they have hard working parents and a good work ethic. they're parents care what and how they do in everything they do. quit picking on a bunch of people who just happen to work hard (not saying no one else works hard) get your head out of your butt and get your kid to the gym in the off season quit trying to bring someone else down.

jchas is just sour grapes, we go through this every season, then someone (hook and a half this year) posts where each and every MD kid comes from. Map or no map you can send your kid anywhere you want in indiana, so that argument has no bearing. Those young men and women in that little bitty school work their tails off in every aspect, they have hard working parents and a good work ethic. they're parents care what and how they do in everything they do. quit picking on a bunch of people who just happen to work hard (not saying no one else works hard) get your head out of your butt and get your kid to the gym in the off season quit trying to bring someone else down.

Ahawkeye

I assure you this topic is not about EMD.  You guys are the ones that keep making it about you.

I am the one who tried and take this topic away from the Team State post.  So Let me be very

very clear.  This is not about EMD wrestling program.

1) In fact I have a great deal of respect for your coaches  for wrestling in the most completive class. ( Other coaches and other sports don't)

2) I am the one who posted this summer that  Nick Lee is the real deal. If he happens to win a state title.

He has earned every part of that.

3) No one ever said the kids did not earn anything.

4) I had no idea how mad people get over this subject

5) I don't hide behind my screen name.  Everyone knows who I am Ahawkeye.  I would be more than

happy to have a  discussion with you.  I just see things differently than you that is all.

As far as my son goes.  He is more than capable of handling himself.

Ahawkeye

I assure you this topic is not about EMD.  You guys are the ones that keep making it about you.

I am the one who tried and take this topic away from the Team State post.  So Let me be very

1) In fact I have a great deal of respect for your coaches  for wrestling in the most completive class. ( Other coaches and other sports don't)

2) I am the one who posted this summer that  Nick Lee is the real deal. If he happens to win a state title.

5) I don't hide behind my screen name.  Everyone knows who I am Ahawkeye.  I would be more than

happy to have a  discussion with you.  I just see things differently than you that is all.

Ahawkeye=

Andrew J. Hauke

This is the second or third time I have seen maters deis starting lineup posted and given a "background check" lol. Good stuff.

What about perry meridian, franklin, penn?  Or churbusco?  Kids transfer every year! 

Ahawkeye

jchas-

you started this thread with: 

"My 2 cents.

You can't compare a public school to a private school.  MD may only have the enrolment of a 2A school.  But

they get a lot of the best wrestlers from a city the size of Ft. Wayne."

You, not ahawkeye, not anyone else, mentioned MD, by name.  no generalities, but MD specifically. Additionally, you are factually incorrect in your assertions about MD. 

Retract your statements or stand by them.  Either way, MAN UP and stop saying "I didn't make this about Mater Dei." 

jchas-

"My 2 cents.

You can't compare a public school to a private school.  MD may only have the enrolment of a 2A school.  But

You, not ahawkeye, not anyone else, mentioned MD, by name.  no generalities, but MD specifically. Additionally, you are factually incorrect in your assertions about MD. 

Retract your statements or stand by them.  Either way, MAN UP and stop saying "I didn't make this about Mater Dei."

We don't need a bunch of facts clouding up the argument

jchas-

"My 2 cents.

I am more than man enough  to stand by what I said.  The only way this is about EMD is that guy keep saying we should give them or

any other private school more credit for jumping up in Class.

I started this post right after state. Trying to give kids credit for moving up to face the best competition. This is the first response I get.

And Yes EMD did move up.  I have given them props for that.  Just don't tell us that you are doing us any favors by doing so.

This is may last post on this.  The horse is dead.

jchas

State Qualifier

View Profile Email Personal Message (Online)

School: Hamilton Southeastern

Major props for moving up

« on: 01/19/2013, 09:40:00 »Quote Modify Remove Here is major props to the guys willing to wrestle up.

Both Wilson and James both wrestled up today.  It takes

Guts to move up and take on the best kids.  Major respect!Modify message

Report to moderator    67.236.161.244

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click here for more information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WrestleMan

State Placer

View Profile Personal Message (Online)

School: Too cool for school

Re: Major props for moving up

« Reply #1 on: 01/19/2013, 09:40:00 »[glow=red,2,300]Quote Great post and topic.  Props also to the entire EMD program for moving up 2 classes and competing with the BIG schools.  Great job today by a great coach and program[/glow]

how many h.s. programs can travl the country during the school yr and wresle the best comp from across the nation. how are kids excused from school and how can you compare these elitest to any reg school programs. just curious.

Which school does this?

The private/public thing goes way deeper than recruiting.

First off, EVERY private school recruits. They MUST or they will close their doors. Many times it doesn't take much as the kids have had parents, uncles, aunts, etc all go to that school so it is a given they will attend the said school. Also take a look at a private school's website and they almost always boost about high test scores, graduation rate and college acceptance rate. If a private school doesn't recruit they won't have students and thus tuition to pay the bills.

Secondly, you need to look at the types of kids that go to a private school vs. public. At a public school you have kids that don't want to be there, we all know those type of kids. They barely get by and obviously are not in extracurricular activities. Private schools have a lot less of these kids mainly because their parents are paying a good chunk of change for them to attend. Also you will have a lot less special education kids at private schools because they simply do not have the staff to support those kids. Those types of kids are also much less likely to participate in extracurricular activities. In the end those types of kids plus many others such as that means the school already has a built in percentage of kids not eligible or willing to participate in extracurricular activities.

Lastly, you need to look at the money side of things. Many times if a kid is attending a private school that hints at two other family characteristics. First most likely they are a two parent family. Everyone knows that having a stable home life never hurts kids academically or athletically. Second, if the family can afford $3-5K or more, they are usually more apt to afford camps or private lessons in athletics.

One last thing before people start naming kids who are the exceptions, I am speaking generally and know there are many, many exceptions to these.

To back up a minute, I think the first post said that it is unfair for MD to be a Class 2A school.  However, since they moved up to 3A for team state, the premise of the argument is invalid.

That being said, Indiana is not the only state that deals with the public/private school issue.  I graduated from Nordonia HS in Macedonia, OH (a publis school).  Some of you may be familiar with the name because we won the D1/AAA (large school) wrestling title in 1977.  The year before St. Ed's 10 titles in a row!  After our title, private schools won 32 D1 titles in a row before Wadsworth stopped a St. Ed's streak of 13 titles in a row in 2010.

While we did not win state again, we managed to remain competitive despite the fact that we were less than 10 miles from 2 private powerhouses - Cuyahoga Falls Walsh Jesuit (5x D1 state champ, 3x D2 state champ) and Bedford St. Peter Chanel (4x D2 state champ).

Unfair?  Sure, we thought so!  We lost some of our best wrestlers to these schools.  And any real chance of competing for state along with it.

However, no one can tell me that the kids that went to private school would have received a better education had they stayed at my school.  And no one will ever convince me that staying would have increased their chance of succeeding at the college level, either academically or athletically.  At the end of the day, the focus should be based on what is best for the kids.  Not some "public school wrestling parent/fan's" (of which I am one) perfect world.

The funny thing is, I never went to a match the year we won the title (I was in 6th grade).  I never even went to a match while I was in high school.  The only reason that I ever went to a wrestling match is that when I got remarried, my stepson was a wrestler.  He graduated last year, but I still follow the team (and still follow some of these crazy posts).  Wrestlers and their fans/parents are a different breed, and if ever I were going to battle, I would want you all in my corner.  REGARDLESS of school affiliation!

Now back to your regularly scheduled rant........

Ok I just can't help myself.

From the team sports that are classed in Indiana.  Private schools won 8 out of 15.

From the ones that are not classed they won 0.

Can anyone explain the statistical disparity for me? 

From the team sports that are classed in Indiana.  Private schools won 8 out of 15.

"this is may last post on this.  this horse is dead."

-jchas, 3 hours ago.

better name that horse lazarus, my friend

Should be fairly easy to explain.  Most private schools fall into the 2A or 3A classes.  When team sports are not classed, those relatively small schools are competing against teams from much larger schools with many more athletes to choose from.  I am from Evansville and in Evansville we have 2 private schools, Evansville Memorial and Evansville Mater Dei.  Memorial is 3A (about 800 students) and Mater Dei is 2A (about 500 students) in football, it shouldn't be that difficult for you to figure out why they have a hard time competing with schools that have 2,000, 3,000 and 4,000 students.  Are you really that dense?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.