Slamming

feez

I was at a tournament a few weeks ago and the coach from Shelbyville was telling this story about this HWT from Madison that was really good and had gotten dq'd against them for an illegal slam... He couldn't think of his name for anything and was asking us who the kid was......

I then told him it was me....

It was only because you got so much taller since then...

Intentions have nothing to do with whether something is a slam or not. Glad a kid didnt mean it or the opponent did something different than you were expecting. Rules are clear, the offensive wrestler is responsible for bringing his opponent back to the mat safely, period,  end of story.

it rarely us called like that.

It is all the officials descretion. will there be bad slam calls yes just as there are bad stalling calls, Its the officals jobs to keep kids safe and if a kid is slammed and he feels it was not a safe return he has to call the penelty. Here is the rule books take on slams from the 2012-2013 Points of Emphisis

SLAMS

Slams are extremely dangerous and every attempt must be made to remove them from wrestling. It is the responsibility of wrestlers, coaches and referees to avoid slams. Wrestlers must return opponents to the mat safely after a lift and must realize a slam may be called on wrestlers in the neutral, top or bottom position. Which wrestler?s knees hit the mat first is irrelevant in determining whether or not a slam has occurred. The key is whether or not a wrestler is returned to the mat unsafely due to the overuse of force. Coaches bear the responsibility of teaching their wrestlers to return opponents to the mat safely and instructing their wrestlers not to perform lifts for which they are not adequately skilled. They must never intentionally bring an opponent to the mat with excessive force. When possible, referees must attempt to prevent slams by reminding wrestlers of their responsibility to return opponents to the mat safely from any position. Referees shall stop the wrestling action to avoid an imminent slam whenever possible. Referees must call slams without delay. It is not acceptable to determine whether a wrestler is injured by a slam before making the call. Intentional attempts to injure a wrestler by slam shall be called flagrant misconduct.

A guy I know a guy who got called for a slam at semi-state and was disqualified because his opponent could "no longer continue." Then the guy who couldn't continue wrestled the next round. 

What about a slam call in that situation?

Its not about the call at that point but the integrity of the wrestler...

A guy I know a guy who got called for a slam at semi-state and was disqualified because his opponent could "no longer continue." Then the guy who couldn't continue wrestled the next round. 

What about a slam call in that situation?

It's called recovery! A wrestler may not have been able to recover from the effects of a slam within the 2-minute recovery time period but was able to recover during the 45+minutes between matches. Regardless a slam shall be called immediatley and it is up to the injured wrestler and his coach to determine if it is in his best interest to continue at the conclusion of recovery time during that match and continue to evaluate whether it is in the best interest of the wrestler to continue to compete in the event following that injury or the decision may rest with the designated appropriate health care professional if a potential concussion is involved.

I watched a video the other day of a HWT picking up a single leg after the bottom wrestler stood up.  He picked the leg up, the other wrestler tried to do a front flip under his legs and landed on his head, unconscious.  The top man was called for a slam and lost the match.  It was brutal to watch... The bottom wrestler did not flip gracefully.

I witnessed a slam at the Rensselaer Duals a couple of weeks ago. This happened at the 132 weight class and was between Rensselaer Central and River Forest.  I was very disapointed to see a senior wrestler from River Forest slam the Rensselaer kid who's a freshman but was way over matched in the first place and was getting beat pretty badly when the River Forest kid decided on slamming him in the 3rd period.  The thing that was most disappointing about this was how the coaches from River Forest reacted when this match had to be stopped because the Rensselaer kid had a concussion. These coaches threw a complete fit because the match was stopped and the Rensselaer kid won.  Well this happened 2 weeks ago and for the River Forest coaching staff knowledge this kid is still out and not wrestling and most likely will be out for another 2 to 3 weeks if he even is released from the doctor because he is still suffering from headaches. All I would like to say is show some class and respect and with your young man being a senior he should understand what the possible outcome could be if he slams another wrestler, if not now he will. Good luck to all!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.