forfeits

charger.dad

Last night we wrestled a team that had 7 forfeits. A few of them were because of injury and sickness. The others were for no other reason than they just decided not to wrestle. They had kids weigh in at the weights but chose not to wrestle them. The coach talks about how they are a young team and need experience but yet they pass up matches? And it's not like the kids on our team were ranked # 1 in the state and they just didn't want their kids getting pounded into the mat. That makes no sense to me and is disappointing to our kids that were ready to wrestle and to the fans that came to see it. Not good or the sport in my opinion.

Keep in mind that just because someone weighes in does not mean they are eligible to wrestle.  We have some new academic rules this season and we wiegh in 3-4 each time that cannot wrestle until their grades improve.  No one likes forfeits, but in most cases they are not a plot from the "evil empire".

First of all, the team you faced is a young team but were not held out for that reason. We had four guys out because they were sick the previous day. Our policy is if you?re not at practice the day before a meet you are not eligible to wrestle. 

Secondly, due to the required weigh-ins we felt it was necessary to weigh in certain wrestles to ensure they had the proper amount of weigh-ins for sectionals.  Some of the wrestlers we weighed in literally have been out for a week.

Our 182 was over weight. I don?t believe in rewarding a wrestler by bumping him up to a higher weight as a result of his irresponsibility. Even if the next weight class is a forfeit.

Yes, we have been dealing with a couple of wrestlers who have been recovery from concussion symptoms and other injuries, one of which was injured during WARM UPS.

In the future, be sure you actually have knowledge on the reasoning behind a team not wrestling a full line-up instead of showing your ignorance and insulting a program. Many times there?s more information than what?s printed in the paper.

First of all, the team you faced is a young team but were not held out for that reason. We had four guys out because they were sick the previous day. Our policy is if you?re not at practice the day before a meet you are not eligible to wrestle. 

Secondly, due to the required weigh-ins we felt it was necessary to weigh in certain wrestles to ensure they had the proper amount of weigh-ins for sectionals.  Some of the wrestlers we weighed in literally have been out for a week.

Our 182 was over weight. I don?t believe in rewarding a wrestler by bumping him up to a higher weight as a result of his irresponsibility. Even if the next weight class is a forfeit.

Yes, we have been dealing with a couple of wrestlers who have been recovery from concussion symptoms and other injuries, one of which was injured during WARM UPS.

In the future, be sure you actually have knowledge on the reasoning behind a team not wrestling a full line-up instead of showing your ignorance and insulting a program. Many times there?s more information than what?s printed in the paper.

it obviously wasn't ignorance on my part, i was just stating what happened and how in my opinion, it isn't good for the sport......you can always make up reasons for why things did or didn't happen......so in the future, speak for yourself.

it obviously wasn't ignorance on my part, i was just stating what happened and how in my opinion, it isn't good for the sport......you can always make up reasons for why things did or didn't happen......so in the future, speak for yourself.

The coach has policies in place for his wrestlers and it seems he is going to hold them to a standard that they MUST go to practice and make weight in order to wrestle.  I know it is a foreign concept to some coaches, but it isn't to others.

If you aren't in the room on a daily basis you don't know things like that and usually it is better to keep your mouth shut.

I believe these were your words?.

Last night we wrestled a team that had 7 forfeits. A few of them were because of injury and sickness. The others were for no other reason than they just decided not to wrestle. They had kids weigh in at the weights but chose not to wrestle them. The coach talks about how they are a young team and need experience but yet they pass up matches? And it's not like the kids on our team were ranked # 1 in the state and they just didn't want their kids getting pounded into the mat. That makes no sense to me and is disappointing to our kids that were ready to wrestle and to the fans that came to see it. Not good or the sport in my opinion.

That?s not an opinion that?s a statement. Therefore your ignorance of the subject was clear in your statement. You were not there during weign-ins or the pre match talks with the kids. You have no clue.

I believe these were your words?.

That?s not an opinion that?s a statement. Therefore your ignorance of the subject was clear in your statement. You were not there during weign-ins or the pre match talks with the kids. You have no clue.

well i suppose regardless of the fact that i heard some of the kids saying otherwise, i must just be wrong.....none the less it's just not good for our sport when you have fans leaving and complaining about not getting to see a full match.....there is no doubt that you will always have forfeits and injuries, it's just part of the game.....

well i suppose regardless of the fact that i heard some of the kids saying otherwise, i must just be wrong.....none the less it's just not good for our sport when you have fans leaving and complaining about not getting to see a full match.....there is no doubt that you will always have forfeits and injuries, it's just part of the game.....

You obviously have never worked with kids in your life.

To a kid being held out for not making weight it "for no reason."

To a kid being held out for missing practice the day before is "for no reason."

And so on....

When you work with kids long enough usually when they say there is no reason, there is a reason and if you do the proper investigation the reason is usually pretty valid.

You obviously have never worked with kids in your life.

To a kid being held out for not making weight it "for no reason."

To a kid being held out for missing practice the day before is "for no reason."

And so on....

When you work with kids long enough usually when they say there is no reason, there is a reason and if you do the proper investigation the reason is usually pretty valid.

I agree with what you say here 100%.....kids tend to have a different viewpoint alot of the time.

But you are incorrect in your first statement, I have worked with and coached kids for many many years. None the less I suppose a coach can do whatever he feels he wants/needs to do in any situation. It is their choice. I just feel that if you have kids to wrestle, they should wrestle.

I agree with what you say here 100%.....kids tend to have a different viewpoint alot of the time.

But you are incorrect in your first statement, I have worked with and coached kids for many many years. None the less I suppose a coach can do whatever he feels he wants/needs to do in any situation. It is their choice. I just feel that if you have kids to wrestle, they should wrestle.

When a kid misses weight he shouldn't be rewarded by being allowed to wrestle. What are you teaching the kid by letting him wrestle?

When a kid misses practice the day before he won't be properly prepared for the meet. If a kid is truly too sick to come to school the day before he will not be well enough to wrestle the next day.

And no you have no clue what it takes to coach kids and teach them qualities that will make them better people in the end. You obviously have a win at all costs mentality, which will teach your kids how to skirt the system to get a win. Coach Whitaker is doing the right thing by having standards such as attend practice and make weight or you don't wrestle. 

When a kid misses weight he shouldn't be rewarded by being allowed to wrestle. What are you teaching the kid by letting him wrestle?

When a kid misses practice the day before he won't be properly prepared for the meet. If a kid is truly too sick to come to school the day before he will not be well enough to wrestle the next day.

And no you have no clue what it takes to coach kids and teach them qualities that will make them better people in the end. You obviously have a win at all costs mentality, which will teach your kids how to skirt the system to get a win. Coach Whitaker is doing the right thing by having standards such as attend practice and make weight or you don't wrestle. 

well at least we have people like yourself and coach whitaker who do have a clue.....

I can promise you those words never came from one of our wrestlers. Maybe one of your wrestler said that or assumed that, but those words never came from our team.

The fact that wrestling is a combat sport.  Makes it different from

other sports.  If a coach feel like one of his wrestler is in way

over his head.  I don't want him sending him out against my

son.  A coach does have a responsibility to protect his guys if need be.

A forfeit that is given because of abilty. Should be looked at as a compliment

not a slap in the face.  It is no fun to make weight and not get to wrestle.

But that is part of it.

Shoulda thought this one through before posting in the first place.  C'mon man.  This can't possibly make you or your program feel better by posting this stuff.

As someone who once coached a team loaded with first year wrestlers, I will attempt to give ChargerDad some perspective, although I have my doubts as to it being well received.  I took over a program that was in the bottom of our conference.  The enthusiasm of a coaching change, though, helped this team go from less than 10 wrestlers, to around 30.  We opened our season with a dual against the best team in our conference, by far.  We got hammered!  I lost 10 of those kids by our next meet.  Some of them had some pretty good potential, but were just really inexperienced, and not prepared to get thrown to the wolves.  The next year, when the same situation came up, I chose to wrestler my experienced wrestlers varsity, and the new kids in jv matches.  That meant that we wrestled some kids jv in weights that we forfeited varsity.  The opposing coach didn't like that, and voiced his opinion about it, but not to me, directly, but to the referee.  The referee, and a former coach both told me the same thing,"always remember that it's the other coach's job to coach his team, and your job to coach your team.  You have to do what's best for your team."

As someone who once coached a team loaded with first year wrestlers, I will attempt to give ChargerDad some perspective, although I have my doubts as to it being well received.  I took over a program that was in the bottom of our conference.  The enthusiasm of a coaching change, though, helped this team go from less than 10 wrestlers, to around 30.  We opened our season with a dual against the best team in our conference, by far.  We got hammered!  I lost 10 of those kids by our next meet.  Some of them had some pretty good potential, but were just really inexperienced, and not prepared to get thrown to the wolves.  The next year, when the same situation came up, I chose to wrestler my experienced wrestlers varsity, and the new kids in jv matches.  That meant that we wrestled some kids jv in weights that we forfeited varsity.  The opposing coach didn't like that, and voiced his opinion about it, but not to me, directly, but to the referee.  The referee, and a former coach both told me the same thing,"always remember that it's the other coach's job to coach his team, and your job to coach your team.  You have to do what's best for your team."

Cool points awarded.

well received hammer.....i couldn't agree more.....

I always hated forfeits...I understand the points being made here and some coaches have their views....my ony request to other coaches who do this (which is fine) alert the other team of it...that way the guys getting a forfiet can get a good workout during the warm ups and get something out of the meet instead of missing a practice

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.