Dream Team Classic

Bruschi

DD that's an astute observation. In addition to his unreal technique, he literally looked like a man wrestling a boy and, while there were a ton of true elite studs in the building, no one looked like a fully physically mature wrestler quite like Jason. Alex was there and they were in deep discussions long after his match. It shows me that he really is the total package: skilled beyond his years, phsyically ahead of his peers and dedicated and committed as only the very best are. I can't repeat the exact words he used, but a fan standing next to me exclaimed " how in the blank does a kid that age learn technique like that?" And this is in the Mecca of American wrestling. I think he grew the Tsirtsis legend even more this past weekend. He will be tough to beat even as a freshman

DD that's an astute observation. In addition to his unreal technique, he literally looked like a man wrestling a boy and, while there were a ton of true elite studs in the building, no one looked like a fully physically mature wrestler quite like Jason. Alex was there and they were in deep discussions long after his match. It shows me that he really is the total package: skilled beyond his years, phsyically ahead of his peers and dedicated and committed as only the very best are. I can't repeat the exact words he used, but a fan standing next to me exclaimed " how in the blank does a kid that age learn technique like that?" And this is in the Mecca of American wrestling. I think he grew the Tsirtsis legend even more this past weekend. He will be tough to beat even as a freshman

So does he redshirt or do day throw him out like day did to big t-shirts ? I say take da redshirt - is he 149 or a 141 ?

So does he redshirt or do day throw him out like day did to big t-shirts ? I say take da redshirt - is he 149 or a 141 ?

A redshirt almost always benefits the student athlete. I think redshirting would benefit Jason more academically then athletically. I honestly think Jason could AA with ease next yr & push for a title. But it is a big adjustment to college from Hs for all students throw wrestling on scholarship in & it makes even harder freshman yr. I have heard Jason is a tremendous student so idk if he would need the redshirt academically either! It's a decision him & the coaches will make once he's on campus

I think Northwestern wants & needs a big time wrestler like Jason next yr for there alumni & fans! Also would benefit the next yrs recruiting class with Jason having a successful season

And this is in the Mecca of American wrestling. I think he grew the Tsirtsis legend even more this past weekend. He will be tough to beat even as a freshman

I would think the "legend" of Tsirtsis might not be as favorable in Iowa as you think.  Although I have no doubt Jason completely impressed the Iowa fans. 

His win over Darrion Caldwell a few weeks ago proved he can compete at the highest level right now.  I say no redshirt.  Let him get wrap up his senior season right before the 2016 Olympic trials.  Or take an Olympic redshirt for the 2015-2016 season and then his senior season the following year.

I hope he redshirts as well.  He can still wrestle midlands and some other big tournaments as a redshirt freshman.  I think redshirt next year and grow into a good size 149lb in two years.  A lot of studs coming back at 141 and Oliver in there as well.  149 will have Ness, Alton and McCauley.  Not that Jason can't beat them, but one year of figuring out college can go a long way.  

I would have to think it will be Jason's decision to redshirt or not, not Northwestern's that is just my opinion.  

I hope he redshirts, the difference between high school and college is immense.  Right now Jason can hang with some of the top guys in select events, but doing that week in week out is another story.

i Tinks you are right - college season is a meat grinder- i hope  he takes da redshirt

I understand that some folks in Iowa were disappointed with his Hawkeye career, but that doesn't make all the buzz that surrounded him disappear like it never happened. It never happened prior to that point to an Indiana wrestler. Plus, Jason is a different person than Alex. I don't think he's wired in the same way, and part of that is attributed to Alex's experiences. Alex didn't psychologically handle losing well and I see Jason bounce back from tough defeats.

I will be surprised if they redshirt him. He's ready. Could he improve with a redshirt? Probably, but he can improve by competing in live matches too. He's very physically prepared, in my opinion, and he's handled pressure well to this point

One thing to factor in is a team only is able to redshirt a certain number of kids and  with trying to fill a competative Big 10 line up the choice of who gets it is sometimes limited.  Since Jason has shown he is physically ready, can hang with DI talent, and is not a grade concern his redshirt year may come down to when and where they need him in the line up.  I can see NW wrestling him his freshman year if they need him at a spot and not if an upperclassman at his weight can make an impact.  NW staff knows they can always use him to build the program now too and them redshirt him another year as there line up evolves and they get a tough kid  in later that can cover the spot for the team in his absence.  Same thing they would have to plan for if he ends up being around to take an Olympic redshirt.  Seems its going to come down to a lineup strategy since all the other pieces seem to be  there already.  One reason pointed out for redshirting as a freshman was mental maturity and grades both of which seems to not be a major concern compared with some other recruits.  If it becomes a strain I'm sure the coach could always redshirt him the second year to fix any issues. 

I am a BIG fan of redshirting but my thinking on Tsirtsis is this: Welch will be a senior,Miele who could finally be an All-America will be a senior. McMullan was 3rd last year. Friedly has All American potential at 149. Munster may well be ready for a breakout year. Maybe Coach Pariano thinks this is a year to go for broke ,let redhsirt soph Shober fight it out with Tsirtsis for 141 or red shirt Friedly at 149 and slot Tsirtsis there.

They aren't going to be national champs next year but Tsirtsis could give them the most depth they have had in a while and may for for a time.

Speaking of Indiana wrestlers Shrewsbury did a MAJOR "take one for the team" his freshman year going heavyweight as a 184 . He hasn't had much of a career since. I think it would be nice for him to take a red shirt and give it one last shot his senior year.

Tsirtsis coming out of high school this year reminds me a lot of Andrew Alton two years ago.  Alton won everything his senior year and was in between weights 141/149.  Alton did not redshirt freshman year, had a tough cut to 141.  He started out on fire and beat some really good wrestlers almost beat Russell early in the season, he wore down as the year went on and did not AA.  Hope he can do what is right for him, would love to see him 4 AA and win a championship or two whatever route he chooses to go. 

Jason seems well prepared to wrestle as a true Freshman, in terms of Neutral and Top.  I haven't seen signs that he will struggle on bottom as Alex did, but if that is a weakness of his, a redshirt year could help in that department.  It would have helped Alex.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.