Multi-Sport Coaches

ENoblewrestling

Well until I got RIF'ed from Scottsburg I was the Head Cross Country Coach, Head Wrestling Coach, and Head Boys Track Coach.

At Madison, I am Asst AD, Head Wrestling Coach, And Throw Coach for Boys and Girls Track and Field

If you want to be a great coach you have to focus on only one sport, not several.  Oh wait, that's what we tell the athletes, not the coaches.

I beg to differ....I tell all my athletes that they need to be on the mat in the summer but i encourage them all to be atleast in one other sport agt the high school.

I beg to differ....I tell all my athletes that they need to be on the mat in the summer but i encourage them all to be atleast in one other sport agt the high school.

That wasn't aimed at wrestling coaches. Most of them know what its like to search the hallways trying to fill an open weight.  They wouldn't discourage kids from doing other sports when they need the kids from those sports to wrestle. Too many other sports want kids to stick to their sport only and do it year round or "lift" in the off season. They don't realize that wrestling will improve their conditioning more than lifting.

Better question for the multi-sport coaches or athletes.  What are the pro's / con's for the athletes? We are trying to educate our football coaches on the benefits wrestling provides to football players. Football coaches are constantly preaching they have to keep gaining weight and wrestling will derail progress.........Opinions? I have mine I want to hear from others.......

Football players who've spent time on the mat, in a good program anyway, will benefit immensely!  These are some that come to mind quickly:  a better understanding of what it means to compete for body position, get leverage, fix a bad body position quickly, how to move their feet with balance, develop quicker feet in general, get tons of reps on getting low into a good tackle position, etc, etc, etc. 

One of the biggest things to me is learning what real work actually is.  The level of conditioning required in wrestling is unlike nearly every other sport, and football isn't in the same stratosphere.  Kids will probably lose some weight.  I've seen my share of fat kids who think they're football players that need to lose some weight anyway!  What they gain in toughness, balance, and strength makes it worth it.

I coach varsity football and had been defensive coordinator for several years.  Last year, I spent it as special teams coordinator.  I am an assistant for high school wrestling and am head coach of our middle school program.  (Our seasons do not overlap too much as middle school season for us is January to mid-March).  I am also head boys'/girls' track and field coach at a neighboring school.  It can sometimes be exhausting, but it is often rewarding...and, amazingly, I do stay awake for sermons at Mass.

I would never tell a kid to focus on only one sport or activity!  I might even encourage him/her to the contrary most times.  You get to be a high school student once.  My parents made sacrifices to allow me to be a kid until I no longer could, and I hope others would do the same.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.