Merrillville Predictions

warrior8

It seems a lot of people are picking Martsoff to beat Burlison.  I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Josh Fuqua beat Martsoff 6-3 at 119lbs at the Traicoff and Burlison only lost 5-3 to

Binion, who of course is not now wrestling, but wa highly ranked at the time

Close losses don't mean as much as wins do.  Have either one of them beat anyone ranked?  Do they have many common opponents that one may have beaten and the other not?  I think it's much easier to keep it close and lose to someone than let it all hang out and win a big one.  Show me you can win, not that you can lose a close one.  I have no idea who may win this, but I would rather know who they have beat, not who they have lost to.  If I had to guess though I would say Burlison.  Just a hunch.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did nobody see espinosa from Logansport wrestle brown at 152 this weekend?! Best match of the day and he lost with an escape in the final 3 seconds!

Very good match. Esponisa is a very underated wrestler IDK who is other losses too but he has really turned it up a notch since sectional.

He had Brown beat, up by 2 with 10 seconds left to go in the 2nd. Espinosa looked at the clock with about 4 seconds left and Brown got a TD. That cost him the match.

Went into the 3rd tied instead of up by 2. He rode Brown for almost the entire 3rd period. Brown gets escape with 2-3 secs left to win.

Close losses don't mean as much as wins do.  Have either one of them beat anyone ranked?  Do they have many common opponents that one may have beaten and the other not?  I think it's much easier to keep it close and lose to someone than let it all hang out and win a big one.  Show me you can win, not that you can lose a close one.  I have no idea who may win this, but I would rather know who they have beat, not who they have lost to.  If I had to guess though I would say Burlison.  Just a hunch.

Martsoff beat Garcia lykins and smiley for sure  burlison has beat Torres ranked at 26 burlison is tough, one of the moSt improved in the region

106 - Stevan Micic, Zack Davis, Michael Garza, Kayla Miracle

113 - Jarred Brooks, Adam Brodie, Darden Shurg, Jack Davison

120 - Paul Petrov, Jacob Davis, Josh Fuqua, Blake Denton

126 - Kyle Ayersman, Grant Martsolf, Dalton Overmyer, Julian Torres

132 - Anthony McHugh, Tommy Forte, Cody Alderman, Alex Mavros

138 - Tristan Macri, Mitch Hartman, Alex Griffin, Danny Roach

145 - Jason Tsirtsis, Charlie Mavros, Alex Katsafaros, Aaron Madison

152 - Adrian Brown, Chris Katsafaros, Kenny Hughes, Danny Ginter

160 - Robert Stevenson, Scottie Sopko, Dusty Shurg, Graham Redeik

170 - Jeremy Crocker, Darrly Peppers, Tony Rodriguez, Ethan Dale

182 - Matt Hurford(That's right, I'm going with a huge upset), Dominic Fimbianti, Tanner Lynde, Christian Winkle

195 - Kourtney Berry, Alex Skipper, Jaylin Allen, Matt Langbehn

220 - Gelan Robinson, Joe Gallegos, Tyler Kral, Michael Nickson

285 - Abraham Hall, Kade Maggart, Marcus Dozier, Dimetri Kaplanis

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but your upset pick at 182 may just be some wishful thinking.  The Delphi kid won't be challenged in my opinion.  I haven't seen anyone even come close to him.  Man amongst boys.

Yeah not a lot of love for Brickie wrestlers in these picks. Don't know much about the kid Obermeyer with one loss but I have to believe Ayala has wrestled(and beaten) more quality opponents. I really think, although many people have sopko losing in ticket round, Shurg and sopko will be a fun semi with Stevenson waiting for the winner. Rodriguez at 170 I think has a great chance. Patrick Manning has a very good chance..He will have to wrestle his but off v's' Mavros but it's doable..Vasquez at 138 is certainly capable of moving past Varner and Roach even if not favored...Realistically for the Hobart 7...3 should get through.4 getting through would be a great day and if somehow 5 got through it will have been a banner day..Morales at 152 has a tall order in the ticket round and Villenuava the HWT is a pretty big long shot..Good luck Brickies!

Yeah not a lot of love for Brickie wrestlers in these picks. Don't know much about the kid Obermeyer with one loss but I have to believe Ayala has wrestled(and beaten) more quality opponents. I really think, although many people have sopko losing in ticket round, Shurg and sopko will be a fun semi with Stevenson waiting for the winner. Rodriguez at 170 I think has a great chance. Patrick Manning has a very good chance..He will have to wrestle his but off v's' Mavros but it's doable..Vasquez at 138 is certainly capable of moving past Varner and Roach even if not favored...Realistically for the Hobart 7...3 should get through.4 getting through would be a great day and if somehow 5 got through it will have been a banner day..Morales at 152 has a tall order in the ticket round and Villenuava the HWT is a pretty big long shot..Good luck Brickies!

I wouldn't look past Martin at 138 making an upset in the first round. he lost to roach by 1 early in the year. and he controlled the entire match.

Finally got some free time & was able to sit down & fill out my ''Projected'' Brackets. Here are my pics  8)

DEVILDOGS SEMI STATE PICKS

1. Micic Hanover Central

2. Davis Portage

3. Garza Merrillville

4. Miricle CMA

I'm rooting for Miracle & hope to see her punch that golden ticket right into the IHSAA record books & become the 1st female to ever qualify for the State Finals. Lets Go Kayla!

1. Brooks Warsaw

2. Brodie Merrillville

3. Schurg CP

4. Corcoran Logan

I'm taking Corcoran with an upset over Newman in the ticket round. Ive seen Corcoran wrestle around 7 matches this yr & he has really impressed me. He did lose to the Kokomo kid in the Team Regional but besides that he has been dominant. He has a motor that never stops & is very QUICK.  If he wrestles like he can he is very capable making the trip to conseco

1. Petrov Hanover Central

2. Garcia Merrrillville

3. Denton Twin Lakes

4. Davis Penn

Lets Go Blake!

#17 Davis vs Weise from BC  will be a good ticket round match. Weise is no pushover

1. Ayersman Lake Central

2. Martsoff Mish

3. Torres Portage

4. Overmeyer Winamac

Another Upset pick for me. I'm taking #20 Overmeyer over #12 Ayala in the ticket round. Overmeyer has really turned it up a notch since winning the MWC. He has 1 of the BEST Firemans I've ever seen. He's wrestled Rehn a couple times this yr Rehn's is a very good wrestler & he knows that the Firemans is coming & still cant stop it, Overmeyer hits it at will. Prolly the Best wrestler this yr in the MWC. I think his match with #11 Torres for 3/4 will be close as well.

In the ticket round #9 Martsoff vs #14 Burlison will be a dog fight

1. McHugh CMA

2. Forte Mishawka

3. Alderman Delphi

4. Mavros Lowell

I'll take #8 McHugh in a rematch of last weeks regional finals. Should be a good match between him & #5 Forte, but just like last week I see McHugh coming out with a close W.

1. Griffin McCutcheon

2. Macri Mishawaka

3. Hartman SB Clay

4. Martin Rens

I'm riding #5 Griffin all the way to the top in this weight class. His matchup with Hartman in the Semi's should be a good one, but #3 Hartman is beatable as #10 Macri proved last week in the Regional Finals. I'll take Griffin in another close match with Macri in the finals.

I'm also taking Martin in a 1st round upset over Roach, I believe they wrestled earlier in the season & it was close. Ill then take Martin over a brawl with Vasquez in the ticket round. Comb on Bomber don't let me down!

1. Tsirtsis Crown Point

2. Manspeaker Penn

3. Thorn Portage

4. Clark

Taking 2 upsets in this weight class. 1st I'm taking #13 Manspeaker over Mavros in a very close match, could really go either way. I'm also going out on a limb for the Freshman from Harrison in Clark over Katsafaros. Its a 1 vs 4, should be a good match.

1. Brown Laf Jeff

2. Katsaforas Chesterton

3. Hughes Lowell

4. Espinosa Logan

I'm taking another upset here with Espinosa over Ginter in the ticket round. Espinosa wrestled very well against #6 Brown last week in the Regional finals. He honestly had him beat if he doesnt give up a TD in last 3 seconds of the 2nd period. Can never let up have to go HARD for 6 straight minutes. I think he learned that lesson last week & comes out with some fire.

1. Steveson Merrillville

2. Schurg Crown Point

3. Sopko Hobart

4. Redweik Caston

Redweik from Caston is a very good wrestler, I think his match with Kolat will be one of the best ticket matches of the day, & I have to take the HEART of a senior in this match, Redweik in a close one

1. Peppers Merrillville

2. Crocker Lowell

3. Dale McCutcheon

4. Rodriguez Hobart

This weight class should be super fun to watch. I'm taking a dark horse in Peppers as my champion. He has beat BOTH #12 Crocker & #13 Rodriguez this season. He is battle tested. I think he upsets #15 Dale in the Semi's and wins a close one over Crocker in the finals. #15 Dale & #13 Rodriquez in the 3/4 should be exciting as well.

1. Lynde Delphi

2. Fimbianti Munster

3. Hurford Culver

4. Winkle Twin lakes

I'm really excited to see the #15 Winkle vs Kral match in the ticket round. This should be an excitng match from start to finish. I know Kral is battle tested wrestling a very tough CP schedule. But Winkle is also tested as he has faced #1 Lynde numerous times throughout the last 2 seasons. Winkle also has a HOF coach in Ken Houston to get him ready for this match. I think Kral will go onto be a SQ & placer, but not this yr. Taking the senior over the freshman in this one.

1. Berry Merrillville

2. Skipper SB Adams

3. Allan SB Clay

4. Langbehn Crown Point

#14 Ricks from BC could be a bracket buster at this weight class. His ticket match with #7 Skipper should be fun.

1. Gallegos SB Clay

2. Robinson Lake Central

3. Kral Crown Point

4. Nickson Merrillville

This weight class should be 1 of the best on the day as 5 of the top 10 ranked wrestlers in the state enter Merrillville looking to punch there ticket to Conseco.  I'm going with my man Joe Gallegos to come out on top. He is the only 2X SQ in this group, taking his experience in this meatgrinder of a weight class.

Kolt vs #7 Nickson will be a brawl in the ticket round. #1 Kral vs #10 Reagan will be fun to watch as well.  Ill take #4 Gallegos over #7 Nickson in the Semi's. I'm also taking the young Sophomore #3 Robinson over #1 Kral in the other semi finals match up. with Robinson's win over Kral at the Team Regional I think he has the confidence to go out and do it again.

#4 Gallegos vs #3 Robinson will be a fun one to watch if it takes place. The 2 have wrestled twice this season, splitting the matches at 1-1. Ill take the Seniors heart & experience in this one.

HWT

1. Hall Breman

2. Maggert Penn

3. Dozier SB Riley

4. Durant HM

I'm going with an upset in the ticket round with Durant over Kaplanis.  #8 Ford vs #6 Maggert will be firworks. Ill take Maggert.

#2 Hall vs #7 Dozier should be an exciting semi's match up. Ill take Hall.

#2 Hall vs #6 Maggert  in a rematch of the Regional Finals. Should be another close one but ill take the unbeaten Hall in this one.

I know I gave a lot of Love to my Logan Regional guys, but Somebody has to Believe in them! Should be a great day of wrestling & im sure there will be more then 1 upset and bracket buster.

After missing the last 4 Semi-State tournaments, I'm really looking forward to making the trip to the Ville' tomorrow and catching some action in person. Big thanks to the guys at Broadcastsport for all there hardwork and allowing me to watch the last few SS online while I was stationed in California.

Good luck to all the wrestlers taking the mat tomorrow!

I wouldn't look past Martin at 138 making an upset in the first round. he lost to roach by 1 early in the year. and he controlled the entire match.

One of the previews on this site for Merrillville has him as a "surprise qualifier" for Indy.  At least one well respected member knows about the little spark plug from Renssy  

http://www.indianamat.com/2012-merrillville-semi-state-preview/2012/02/

1. Berry Merrillville

2. Skipper SB Adams

3. Allan SB Clay

4. Langbehn Crown Point

#14 Ricks from BC could be a bracket buster at this weight class. His ticket match with #7 Skipper should be fun.

No match woth skipper is ever fun... to watch atleast! Haha

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.