If you weigh in for the 138 class, but weigh 132, can you ...

MadHtsWrestler

I would agree that officials cannot keep track of where everyone weighed in at, but the official in this scenario was called by the head coach to the scorer's table and made aware of the wrestler dropping down to the lower weight class than what he weighed in at. The official said it was OK because his actual weight was within the range to qualify at the lower weight. I am not sure why he interpreted the rules that way when in reality he should have been made to wrestle at the weight he weighed in at.

Did both teams coaches agree that the wrestler weighed in at the higher weight or did that wrestlers coach claim that he weighted in at the lower weight?

Did both teams coaches agree that the wrestler weighed in at the higher weight or did that wrestlers coach claim that he weighted in at the lower weight?

they agreed that he weighed in for the higher weight class, yet his weight was such that he could wrestle the lower weight class, had he weighed in for that weight class, if that was legal which we all know now it's not.....

So between the two different schools coaches and the official nobody actually pulled out the rulebook and looked up the rule?

as i recall, the book was out but wasn't clear? enough to satisfy the coach so mr. cox was called.......

I had this scenerio come up last night but made sure the coach was aware of it at weigh-ins.  The kid step on the scale for 182 and he weighed 172.0, I told the coach that he could only wrestle 182 tonight.  The coach said thanks for telling me this.  As an official, you might not beable to police it at the scores table when they check in, but you can do it at weigh-ins. 

I had this scenerio come up last night but made sure the coach was aware of it at weigh-ins.  The kid step on the scale for 182 and he weighed 172.0, I told the coach that he could only wrestle 182 tonight.  The coach said thanks for telling me this.  As an official, you might not beable to police it at the scores table when they check in, but you can do it at weigh-ins. 

Why could he only wrestle 182 if he made 170 given the 2 pound allowance?

Weigh-ins for the 170 class were done and he weighed in for the 182 class... no going back.

I guess the thing that amazes me is that there is so much confusion over Rule 4, Section 5, Art. 3 which says "When all wrestlers for a weight class have had an opportunity to weigh in and the next class is called, that weight class is closed." Maybe it would be helpful to have an explanation of this rule in the NFHS Case Book. 

MadHts: You're exactly right.  It's a simple rule.  It was explained in clear detail by the NFHS when it came out and has been applied correctly in the situations I've seen.  106 is open.  Kids weigh in.  106 is closed.  113 is open. Kids weigh in.  113 is closed.  120 is open....etc.

These scenarios being presented make no sense to me.  The rule is cut and dried.

The only part we should have to use our brains on is making sure a kid weighs enough to wrestle the class he weighs in for or attempts to wrestle.  There's no going lower, though.  Closed is closed.

MadHts: You're exactly right.  It's a simple rule.  It was explained in clear detail by the NFHS when it came out and has been applied correctly in the situations I've seen.  106 is open.  Kids weigh in.  106 is closed.  113 is open. Kids weigh in.  113 is closed.  120 is open....etc.

These scenarios being presented make no sense to me.  The rule is cut and dried.

The only part we should have to use our brains on is making sure a kid weighs enough to wrestle the class he weighs in for or attempts to wrestle.  There's no going lower, though.  Closed is closed.

so.....they way i interpret what you're saying  is when a team weighs in at a dual, you send a kid to weigh in at lets say 145.....he weighs in and at that point, he can only wrestle 145?.....can't drop down and can't go up?.....can you weigh in more than one kid at a given weight at a dual?....i see coaches making changes all the time so there has to be some exception to the rule if that is the case.....

so.....they way i interpret what you're saying  is when a team weighs in at a dual, you send a kid to weigh in at lets say 145.....he weighs in and at that point, he can only wrestle 145?.....can't drop down and can't go up?.....can you weigh in more than one kid at a given weight at a dual?....i see coaches making changes all the time so there has to be some exception to the rule if that is the case.....

no, you cant drop down, but you can move up one weight. So even if he might of weighed 138, since he weighed in at the 145 lb spot, he would be stuck at 145. In that situation he would not be able to wrestle up because that would be two weightclasses higher then he weighs tho

As NICfan said, you cannot go LOWER than the weight you weigh in for.  If your actual body weight is one weight class lower--too bad--you are only eligible at the weight class you weighed in.  You can't go down because you missed weighing in for that weight, and you can't go higher because you don't weigh enough.

Again, example: A coach tells his kid to weigh in at 145.  He steps on the scale with the 145-pound kids and weighs 136.  He can now only wrestle 145 because he missed his chance to weigh in at 138 and because he doesn't weigh enough, by rule, to wrestle 152. 

As always, though, if your actual weight is in the normal 145-pound range, and you weigh in with the 145's; you are eligible for both 145 and 152.  In my opinion, it makes zero sense to weigh a kid in at a higher class than his actual weight.  You can still have the kid introduced at the higher weight during announcements and use whatever gamesmanship in moving kids around.

No, you can go up one weight class above your actual "scratch weight", which means if you weigh in at 145 you can wrestle 145 and wrestle up at the 152 weight class. So in my estimation it doesn't make sense to weigh in one weight class above your actual "scratch weight". Doing so locks you into only one weight class, because you can't drop back down after the weight class is "closed" at the official weigh-in. YES, you can weigh-in several wrestlers at one weight class. If you have three wrestlers at all 14 weight classes you can weigh them all in and they are all eligible to wrestle at that weight class.  Coaches can move wrestlers at super duals as long as they don't drop them below their "weigh-in" class, or only move them up one weight class above their "scratch weight".

No, you can go up one weight class above your actual "scratch weight", which means if you weigh in at 145 you can wrestle 145 and wrestle up at the 152 weight class. So in my estimation it doesn't make sense to weigh in one weight class above your actual "scratch weight". Doing so locks you into only one weight class, because you can't drop back down after the weight class is "closed" at the official weigh-in. YES, you can weigh-in several wrestlers at one weight class. If you have three wrestlers at all 14 weight classes you can weigh them all in and they are all eligible to wrestle at that weight class.  Coaches can move wrestlers at super duals as long as they don't drop them below their "weigh-in" class, or only move them up one weight class above their "scratch weight".

thanks for the very complete explanation.....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.