Pound for pound best wrestlers?

Sgyorks

It's been established that Tsirtsis is a given at #1....Everyone else is breaking it down to include other worthy wrestlers. Your question was "who would be favored at a higher weight?" That was my answer. You could have just hit the quote button, and typed in " I agree." Rather, than saying the same thing I did, just taking 4x longer to do it.  ::)

I agree

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Tsirtsis  (obviously)

2. Sliga (better resume nationally then anyone else below him)

3. Jackson (no state titles yet but could beat any middleweight except Tsirtsis)

4. McKinley (Possible 2x champ)

5. Brooks (moves past Todd with Super32 win)

6. Ayersman (possible 3x champ)

7. Todd (possible 2x champ)

8. Phillips (possible 3x champ)

9. Willis (check out this guy's resume)

10. Mullins (same with Willis -- impressive resume)

....I am not trying to take anything away from Jackson but he would not be favored over Tsirtsis at 145. Jackson had a great off season and maybe if they were to wrestle again Jackson pulls it off. But in our hypothetical pound for pound ranking it would be hard to justify.

Wait, What??? Jackson pulls what off?

I don't think it's going out on a limb to say that JT wins over Jackson regardless of his off season. In fact I'm sure he's seperated himself from Jackson by a greater margin at this point. Jackson is a stud without question, I have him in my top five pound for pound. But if they were to wrestle at any weight I'd take JT by major at least. I just think right now he's that much better than everyone else. JMO

Wait, What??? Jackson pulls what off?

I don't think it's going out on a limb to say that JT wins over Jackson regardless of his off season. In fact I'm sure he's seperated himself from Jackson by a greater margin at this point. Jackson is a stud without question, I have him in my top five pound for pound. But if they were to wrestle at any weight I'd take JT by major at least. I just think right now he's that much better than everyone else. JMO

I did say maybe...  I respect your JMO, and I agree Tristsis would win again but I (and this is my JMO) doubt it would be a major. Jackson is very hard to score on

I did say maybe...  I respect your JMO, and I agree Tristsis would win again but I (and this is my JMO) doubt it would be a major. Jackson is very hard to score on

imo, tsirtsis finds a way to major jackson. Tsirtsis beat stevenson at 160 16-6 and i thought hed have problems scoring on him. Jackson is a great wrestler but tsirtsis is... tsirtsis

Jackson is tough to score on that is for sure he would probably wrestle a little more defensive in that match, but still Tsirtsis with 3 or 4 takedowns and if Jackson gets aggressive maybe some back points.  Tsirtsis 10-2 if they wrestled at 145.   If they wrestled each other often like Alex Tsirtsis and Wesley English did I think it would be closer each time but Tsirtsis still always in control and wins 7-3, 6-2 scores.  They may meet up in college in a year or two??  I think Jackson is going to be very good in college and really improve.  Tsirtsis is going to be solid as well and will AA many years if he stays healthy.  Hope they both redshirt and get that college experience.

The fact that Tsirtsis is there is kind of my point. One way of ranking the best pound for pound is to determine how high would the wrestler be ranked in higher weight classes.

I am not trying to take anything away from Jackson but he would not be favored over Tsirtsis at 145. Jackson had a great off season and maybe if they were to wrestle again Jackson pulls it off. But in our hypothetical pound for pound ranking it would be hard to justify.

Mullins may be the favorite at 160

I don't see how Mullins would be favored at 160 over Kirk Johnson when Johnson won head to head and was the semi state champ last year. He just got unlucky and had to wrestle Welch in the semis instead of the finals.

I will also agree that Tsirtsis is #1.

I don't see how Mullins would be favored at 160 over Kirk Johnson when Johnson won head to head and was the semi state champ last year.

I think there may be a mix up of Johnsons...I believe it was Montrail Johnson that beat Mullins Head to Head (and Kirk Johnson beat Montrail Johnson in the finals) still a valid point you make... To the best of my knoledge Navin R Johnson was not involved....

I think there may be a mix up of Johnsons...I believe it was Montrail Johnson that beat Mullins Head to Head (and Kirk Johnson beat Montrail Johnson in the finals) still a valid point you make... To the best of my knoledge Nathan R Johnson was not involved....

Po...you are correct. There was no head-to-head between Mullins and Kirk Johnson. Mullins gassed out against Montrail Johnson in OT at NCSS. KJ beat Montrail in the finals convincingly. At State, Mullins handled Reece LeFever (whom, himself has had some national-level success) 3-0, although Mullins was in control throughout the match, in semis. LeFever beat KJ by 3 or 4, I think, in the match for 3rd place.

Po...you are correct. There was no head-to-head between Mullins and Kirk Johnson. Mullins gassed out against Montrail Johnson in OT at NCSS. KJ beat Montrail in the finals convincingly. At State, Mullins handled Reece LeFever (whom, himself has had some national-level success) 3-0, although Mullins was in control throughout the match, in semis. LeFever beat KJ by 3 or 4, I think, in the match for 3rd place.

I forgot about Reese being a common opponent nice recall... Good to get the Johnson's straightened out anyway.

None of them can hold a candle to Y2's life coach, Navin R Johnson

2194392915_7367861c93.jpg

"Sounds like your typical run of the mill loser" (good catch on Navin - I had to go back and correct it from Nathan on my earlier post) I'm glad some still appreciate the classics

1. Tsirtsis  (obviously)

2. Sliga (better resume nationally then anyone else below him)

3. Jackson (no state titles yet but could beat any middleweight except Tsirtsis)

4. McKinley (Possible 2x champ)

5. Brooks (moves past Todd with Super32 win)

6. Ayersman (possible 3x champ)

7. Todd (possible 2x champ)

8. Phillips (possible 3x champ)

9. Willis (check out this guy's resume)

10. Mullins (same with Willis -- impressive resume)

Correct me if I am mistaken, but didn't Ayersman previously pin McKiney in 2010 in Semi-finals at state and also beat Brooks in 2009?

Correct me if I am mistaken, but didn't Ayersman previously pin McKiney in 2010 in Semi-finals at state and also beat Brooks in 2009?

That was a long time ago. 

Brooks -- Fargo runner-up and Super 32 champ

McKinley -- Fargo AA (5th)

Ayersman -- ??

I'm not trying to take anything away from Ayersman.  He is a stud.  In my opinion, he would lose to both if they were all at the same weight again.

The match between LaFever and Kirk Johnason for 3rd place was 7-1 in favor of LaFever.

Our 152lber took Kirk Johnson into overtime and lost 3-2.  Our kid got hammered by Montrail Johnson 14-2 for 5th place.  My pick for state at 160 is definately Steveson from Merrillville.

The match between LaFever and Kirk Johnason for 3rd place was 7-1 in favor of LaFever.

Our 152lber took Kirk Johnson into overtime and lost 3-2.  Our kid got hammered by Montrail Johnson 14-2 for 5th place.   My pick for state at 160 is definately Steveson from Merrillville.

Kirk Johnson defeated Montrail Johnson head to head so the transitive property of wrestling does not apply. As is often the case, some kids let their dissappointment at losing in the championship bracket affect their performance in the 3rd, 5th and 7th place matches. I would say this could be a partial explanation for how K Johnson and Flamme performed in their final matches at Conseco.

Our 152lber took Kirk Johnson into overtime and lost 3-2.  Our kid got hammered by Montrail Johnson 14-2 for 5th place.   My pick for state at 160 is definately Steveson from Merrillville.

(sarcasm forewarning). Stevenson???? He lost to 145er

Our 152lber took Kirk Johnson into overtime and lost 3-2.  Our kid got hammered by Montrail Johnson 14-2 for 5th place.   My pick for state at 160 is definately Steveson from Merrillville.

Guess we will see what Kirk is made of tonight against Harvey

with that argument then you have to put phillips ahead of ayersman because phillips won state in the weightclass ayersman took 3rd in. The past is the past. Brooks super 32 win was very impressive, and AAing in those tournaments should out weigh a loss they had 2 or 3 years ago

Pretty long lists so far

1. Tsirtsis - this year, he might be able to win a state title at any weight between 145 and 182 (171 and 182 may be too much weight - but it would be hard to pick against him)

2. Sliga - Capable of winning @ 195 - HWT

Tsirtsis is good, but not that good, giving up 35 pounds there is no way he could hang with Willis or Mappes, same goes for sliga. Weight can really make a difference when you give up that much, taking nothing away from Mitch or Jason they are definetly two of Indiana's best

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.