No tape on head gear...no head gear on head

Flightinstructor

I think most of the rule originated from people taping up the disk part of head gear do much.  I'm guessing, after this season, there maybe an amendment allowing for tape for the purpose of securing the straps to a fitted position.  Even a few of the headgear manufacturers have responded some e-mails (per USA wrestling board) saying if taping straps helps to secure the headgear more firmly so there product protects the ears/head better they see nothing wrong with it.  And besides people have tape holding together other items like shoes (not laces but the actual shoe) so it's not like this change was really eliminating most taping issues related to equipment.

I don't have the exact wording, but I believe an interpretation from refs does allow for the use of tape to secure the headgear if needed after the match has started. But obviously in some cases this would be a reoccurring issue every time they stepped on the mat. Like I said I see an amendment happening by next year that allows for it on straps if used in a way that secure the headgear in place.

The athletic wrapping tape use on the ear protective headgear, has in the past, been used to cover, or repair fissures in the worn soft plastic, rather than replacing the fractured parts, or renewing the headgear itself. Now, as I've come to believe, the issue is the chin strap, wherefore the product Velcro, is the culprit. The use of Velcro for securing the head gear, has a very limited life span. Unlike the older strap securing method of 'snaps', Velcro is much easier to use, but through the saturation process of perspiration, skin oils, and acids, the Velcro product begins to breakdown, and lose its effectiveness for securing the headgear. Hence, during the activity of the match, the Velcro, as it loses its adhesion properties, won't secure anything. Therefore, the strap has to be taped in place for it to continue holding the headgear securely. Since the tape must come off to dislodged the chin strap, for removing the headgear, what is the problem with retaping it before using again, rather waiting for the headgear to come loose, and fly off the wrestler's head; so, an official time out can be taken for retaping the strap in place each time?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.