FW-Journal Gazette Wrestling "PREVIEW"

porkrinder

I second the notion that this is not a very well written article.  Maybe someone actually involved with wrestling could help out and be a contributor.  That being said there is no bad press for wrestling. 

Also the last line about there being no team state may not be true after this weekend.  We should see about writting an article on the classed team state being proposed this weekend at the coaches association meeting. 

This article shows how much the Media knows about the sport of wrestling. Not very much. For the most part i can say i somewhat agree with this article but i would also like to see some different wrestlers to watch for. Obviously, Brooks is a no-brainer but the other wrestlers on this list seem mediocre when you include them on a list with Brooks.

Brooks isn't even in the Fort Wayne semi state.  Not that I am not watching out for him just that its a local paper and you would think it would at least be about the semi state area.  All this being said Fort Wayne is down on a whole even for Fort Wayne's standards, and the article was able to throw a bone to a few programs that don't get the recognition they deserve.  On down by a whole I would say that pertains to the team side more so then the individual side of things.  Fort Wayne may not have a single team with 14 solid wrestlers. 

Brooks isn't even in the Fort Wayne semi state.  Not that I am not watching out for him just that its a local paper and you would think it would at least be about the semi state area.  All this being said Fort Wayne is down on a whole even for Fort Wayne's standards, and the article was able to throw a bone to a few programs that don't get the recognition they deserve.  On down by a whole I would say that pertains to the team side more so then the individual side of things.  Fort Wayne may not have a single team with 14 solid wrestlers. 

Warsaw is not that far from Ft. Wayne. That's why he was mentioned...

Warsaw is generally covered by the Journal Gazette in Fort Wayne.  The News Sentinel usually stays within the counties that are connected to Allen County, but will venture outside the area on occasion.

Thanks for the clarification.  That is a good nice to know.  As far as the South Adams fan is concerned, they may be the most complete team in the Fort Wayne semi state, but they are not the best.  That being said with a little help from others in the sectional it may get interesting.  I still have Belmont winning but it may get fairly close.

Warsaw and Wawasee should come to the FW SS.  Also, there are a lot more storylines in the greater FW area.  Wish they would do a team-by-team breakdown/profile.

None of the Journal Gazette writers cover wrestling very well and Greg Jones is the primary H.S. reporter but his loves lie with football and basketball.  Can't fault the paper for at least running an article on wrestling.  I actually applaud them for putting SOMETHING in.  The afternoon Fort Wayne paper (News Sentinel) does a better job with wrestling and h.s. sports in general.  You guys whining and moaning crack me up.  "Wrestling never gets any coverage" and then when we do it's "not good or factual enough, someone with wrestling experience should have helped out."  Give me a break.  Just be happy something got put in.  Also, to expect a paper from a decent sized city to run an article on all the area wrestling teams is ludicrous.  Really?  You expect something like that to happen?  Heck, most h.s. newspapers barely cover their own wrestling teams.  Have your kid play basketball if it's glory in the newspapers you're looking for or volunteer to be a correspondent to your local newspaper if it bothers you that much. 

I might have to dig up my archives where the Prep Sports did highlight each WRESTLING team with list of returners, losses and such.  They even had a weekly article with the top fourish kids in each weight class and their "reported" records.  It was great for a wrestling nerd like me back in the day before this internet thingy was invented.

I really feel old now talking about the "good ole days" of 1995.

I might have to dig up my archives where the Prep Sports did highlight each WRESTLING team with list of returners, losses and such.  They even had a weekly article with the top fourish kids in each weight class and their "reported" records.  It was great for a wrestling nerd like me back in the day before this internet thingy was invented.

I really feel old now talking about the "good ole days" of 1995.

Joe - was that the Sentinel or the Gazette?  Wish they still did it.

Has anybody w a wrestling background ever offered to help out? I used to write all articles for newspaper and now Tskin does. Last yr during state tourney I called and offered to cover the tournament and I had press credentials for the tourney. Could be a nice perk for a fan up there

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.