A new Indiana Team State?

ccbig

Since the IHSAA no longer hosts a high school team state tourney can't a team tourney be created fully separate and apart from the IHSAA?

The tourney could be held immediately following the high school season.

If the IHSAA is not meeting the needs of the high school wrestling programs it may be time to for a group independent from the IHSAA.

For example - an entirely new athletic association could be formed just for high school wrestling.

Between the upcoming loss of Team State, the ruling against wild cards for the Al Smith tourney and  with all of the complaints I have seen on here about the IHSAA  not seeming to be in touch with the other needs and desires of the high school wrestling community is it time to form a new athletic association for high school wrestling in Indiana?

No IHSAA affiliation probably equals little to no support from each HS's support for wrestling. So then it becomes a off campus club sport. Not having a school affiliation then equals less chance of the average student giving wrestling a try.  So in my view not the best move for school wrestling to leave the IHSAA.   Even if the organization doesn't always do what we think is best or right it still provides a platform in which to grow the sport at the school level and would have to do something more major to have schools volunteer to leave it.

With that said developing some type of team tournament separate from the IHSAA would be great.  Because of school schedules an semi-inclusive one in season could be tough to do. However, one right after the season through a club organization like USA Wrestling, HYWAY, or something else would be great if enough teams and individuals would be willing to participate.  It could start as a all in one tournament and branch to multi-classes as the interest grows.

No IHSAA affiliation probably equals little to no support from each HS support for wrestling. So then it becomes a off campus club sport. Not having a school affiliation then equals less chance of the avegare student giving wrestling a try.  So in my view not the best move for school wrestling to leave the IHSAA.   Even if the organization doesn't always do what we think is best or right it still provides a platform in which to grow the sport at the school level and would have to do something more major to have schools volunteer to leave it.

I disagree because this would involve the creation a of a NEW state wide governing athletic association specifically for ON CAMPUS participation. IMO the IHSAA behaves the way it does because it is the only group around, however it it was not the only group they would have to change their behavior or risk losing all sports to another governing body.

With that said developing some type of team tournament separate from the IHSAA would be great.  Because of school schedules an semi-inclusive one in season could be tough to do. However, one right after the season through a club organization like USA Wrestling, HYWAY, or something else would be great if enough teams and individuals would be willing to participate.  It could start as a all in one tournament and branch to multi-classes as the interest grows.

A new athletic association or not or using other wrestling groups such as USA or HYWAY something must be done to continue a team state tourney IMO.

Leaving the Ihsaa would be ludicrous.  Doing some club/association team state could work but won't carry the weight of winning the an ihsaa title.  The only way a competing association could get any traction compared to the ihsaa woul be if a major sports power (like a warren central in football) would join it.  Good luck with that.  Ccbig probably believes there is the possibility of the creation of a viable third party in u.s. Politics too.  Not!

Is an IHSWCA team tournament still in the works?

The IHSWCA is still working on putting together a dual team state for the 2012-13 season.  Trent McCormick (Coaches Association President) has already had a meeting with the ISWA about getting their involvement/help with it.

Full details are still not ironed out yet, but from what I've heard, the goal is to publish the details (date, format, etc) by the start of this season.  Hopefully that information will be figured out and provided by then to give teams time to plan for it.

My two cents on something mentioned earlier, this event/series needs to take place during the high school season.  The IHSAA will not allow it to be held outside of their scheduled season dates, nor will they allow it to take place during their own postseason.  Holding it after the season as a club event will eliminate too much participation from most teams because many athletes compete in spring sports and do not participate in the club season, at least not enough for an event of this magnitude.

I have made my thoughts regarding the importance of Team State made clear on here several times so I won't get into that.

Please tell me we are not considering having the IHSWCA Team State Championships sometime during the off-season?  That would be disasterous.  It needs to be during the season. 

Snyder

Please tell me we are not considering having the IHSWCA Team State Championships sometime during the off-season?  That would be disasterous.  It needs to be during the season. 

Snyder

Trent McCormick (President) and Danny Struck (Vice President) are both well aware of the disaster that it would be if it was done after the season.  I don't believe it is being considered anymore.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.