Top middle school wrestlers to watch this season!

hoosierdad

CJ Red, Blake Rypel, Ben Stewart, Drew Hughes, Jake Tucker, Jose Champagne, Paul Konrath, Nick Lee, Joe Lee, Jacob Gray, Josh Stewart, Ryan Ford, Brock Hudkins, Nick Ellis, Sage Coy and my light weight picks are Drew Hildebrant and Colton Cummings.  Now you know.

ELIGIBILITY: The Middle School State tournament is open to any wrestler in grades 6TH, 7TH, & 8TH who is enrolled in an Indiana Middle School who has not completed at least one year of 8TH Grade.

http://www.ihswca.com/MiddleSchoolStateFlier.htm

Nosoccermomhere,

Darden will be entering HS at CP this season. His little brother, Daylan, will be an 8th grader..I believe.

Just a few more good names Braydon Bailey , Noah Warren, Brendan Black, Skylour Turner, Kayden Poe all very Solid Ethan Smiley will be a stud Look for Ben Stewart to destroy everyone Ryan Hammond will turn some heads Brett Johnson has mad skills as well.

Blake Rypel is a savage. He just keeps getting better. I think Rypel could place at IHSAA state right now.

Alec White is another kid that has just gone to another level over the last year. Very crisp, sharp technique. Good quickness.

[NOVICE 75- 1st folkstyle, 1st freestyle, 2nd greco]

Another kid I think will have a very good year is Jayln Wallace. He's still a bit of a bruiser technically, but he has natural feel and a killer instinct.

[sB 105- 2nd folkstyle]

Folks, keep your eyes on Nick Lee from Evansville.  This young man is a class act and has unbelievable skills.  He won Middle School State championships in a difficult weight bracket as a 6th grader.

I think that middle school state should be 14 & under! I certainly don't think

We should have 2nd year cadets wrestling a novice in the 6th grade. Also, I think

that you should only be able to compete 3 years at middle school state. Regardless

Of what grade they were held back in! As a parent, I would be ashamed of myself for

Entering my kid as a second year cadet for a MIDDLE SCHOOL TOURNAMENT! I think

If the IHSWCA would make these rule changes, that would help with mommy & daddy

Holding their kids back for athletic reasons alone. I don't knock children being held back.

As long as they actually need it. However, I still believe that a child who is held back should

only be able to wrestle 3 years at middle school state.

Coach Hunt @ Doe creek middle school

• 2 weeks later...

We should have 2nd year cadets wrestling a novice in the 6th grade. Also, I think

that you should only be able to compete 3 years at middle school state. Regardless

Of what grade they were held back in! As a parent, I would be ashamed of myself for

Holding their kids back for athletic reasons alone. I don't knock children being held back.

As long as they actually need it. However, I still believe that a child who is held back should

Could not agree more! It seems the practice of "redshirting" is becoming accepted as more and more kids seem to repeat 8th grade.

But,The IHSWA is just like the ISWA their afraid of change. They should never be a novices wrestling 2nd year cadets.

I agree, but when they become freshman as a 14yr old SB they are going to be wrestling 19 year old men its all the same. So I guess just try and prepare the younger ones that much more, it is tough because my son was that 14yr old in a mostly older kid weight class, they have to learn they will have a few loses and its tough but they can do it. PREPERATiON!!

Did this happen this year?  I didn't find any second year cadets in the top of the weight classes around my son at 140.  My son looks older but he just turned 15 in July and will be a Freshman this year and now will be a second year Cadet and was never held back.  It all depends on when a kids birthday is.  My sons birthday was in July, 2 days after the cutoff for entry to kindergarten so he is at the older end of the kids in his class, but it is not unusual.  But, I do agree with your point that kids should not be held back to wrestle.  My only though to justify a second year cadet being in middle school state is that some kids may not be academically or socially ready to start school when it is their "time" so they are held back from starting early on. 

Sorry I made a couple mistakes on last post 1 Spelling and 2 He was a 13 yr old fresh, still only 17 as a senior he also was a 10 in the sixth grade, so I understand the frustration. If I had it to do over I wouldnt have started mine in school so early. Good luck to all your lil ones.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.