Outstanding Wrestler of the tournament?

blastdouble119

Has to be Reece or Goldman. Reece pinning the field, and it is not his fault they weren't as highly ranked, he just wrestled who they put in front of him. And Goldman for pulling off two upsets on the way when nobody was picking him to finish above 5th. (# 3 Berry of Merrillville, and # 2 Stevenson who beat # 1 Sliga.)

Goldman finished above two national ranked wrestler top ten in the country. Reece was great but 215 was one of  the weeker classes if not the weekest, this was not Reeces falt he is stud among  pretty good wrestlers. but goldman came out and suprised everone.

Yeah, neither wrestler was terribly aggressive.  :(

Both wrestlers are very talented this is for sure. Just maybe they were neutralized by the other is why it was the type of match which points are at a premium? I had the chance to see Mullins wrestle several times this season and he didn't just not try to do anything. Believe me if he could have scored he would have don it! Welch's defence made it impossible for him to score. Mullins is also a great rider and pinner and he couldn't keep him down. Hats off to both wrestlers! Great match! Welch did what he had to do to defeat a great wrestler! Good Luck at Purdue and to Mullins good luck next season it just might be your turn to stand at the top!

Rankings don't mean squat, more than half the kids ranked hardly ever make it to state. You have to atleast make it to semi-state the previous year to even be considered in the rankings. Trey Reese was impressive but Goldman stood out way more in my opinion. Big deal about him weighing 197, that is what the majority of 215 pounders weigh anyway.

Rankings don't mean squat, more than half the kids ranked hardly ever make it to state. You have to atleast make it to semi-state the previous year to even be considered in the rankings. Trey Reese was impressive but Goldman stood out way more in my opinion. Big deal about him weighing 197, that is what the majority of 215 pounders weigh anyway.

More than half the kids ranked hardly make it to state?  I think you may like to go through and see just how inaccurate that statement is by clicking on the Rankings tab at the top..

I'm sure this has probably been said somewhere...but here is my breakdown on how the rankings worked out.

At 103 pounds

Final four = No. 6 Fuqua, No. 2 Boosma, No. 1 Boston, No. 4 Micic.

Champion ? No. 1 Boston

Final four = No. 1 Phillips, No. 2 Todd, No. 3 Petrov, No. 4 Brooks

Champion ? No. 2 Todd

Final four = No. 1 Ayersman, No. 2 Campbell, No. 8 Moss, No. 9 Carroll

Champion ? No. 1 Ayersman

Final Four = No. 1 McKinley, No. 2 Kieffer, No. 4 Somer, No. 8 Crume

Champion ? No. 1 McKinley

Final Four = No. 2 Barroquillo, No. 3 Molloy, No. 6 Crume, No. 20 Hartman

Champion ? No. 3 Molloy

Final Four = No. 1 Jackson, No. 2 Kieffer, No. 3 Raley, No. 4 Gregory

Champion ? No. 3 Raley

Final Four = No. 1 Tsirtsis, No. 2 Montgomery, No. 5 Rattay, No. 15 Lannert

Champion ? No. 1 Tsirtsis

Final Four = No. 1 Roach, No. 2 Heistand, No. 4 Weekly, No. 16 Whetstine

Champion ? No. 1 Roach

Final Four = No. 1 Welch, No. 3 Mullins, No. 6 Lefever, No. 5 K. Johnson

Champion ? No. 1 Welch

Final Four = No. 1 Welch, No. 2 Willis, No. 3 Sims, No. 4 Lefever

Champion ? No. 1 Welch

Final Four = No. 1 Stein, No. 2 Bratcher, No. 3 Lynde, No. 6 Manning

Champion ? No. 1 Stein

Final Four = No. 1 Sliga, No. 2 Stevenson, No. 4 Goldman, No. 6 Boots

Champion ? No. 4 Goldman

Final Four ? No. 14 Cooper, No. 3 Kral, No. 1 Reese, No. 10 Seaman

Champion ? No. 1 Reese

Final Four = No. 1 Meyer, No. 7 Harvey, No. 8 Forrest, No. 2 Howe

Champion ? No. 7 Harvey

Totals - every wrestler in all 14 weight classes that made the final four were ranked. Nine wrestlers ranked No. 1 won.

I think the rankings were more accurate this year than perhaps ever before.

okay sure they may have good majority accurate, all i am saying is that there are plently of very good wrestlers who qualify that are never actually ranked. Its not about who some guys think are the best, what it all comes down to is who ever has more heart, determination, and skill when you come face to face with an opponent down on the mat. People just tend to get caught up in the rankings alot.

The rankings guy would have done really well if he would have given the Evansville semi-state more respect.  

He missed from the semi-state

130-M0lloy-3

135-Raley-3

189-Goldman-4

Lannert-15

Whetstine-16

While Molloy and Raley weren't ranked #1, I did pick both of them to win state titles in my Official State Picks thread...

Molloy was behind two other undefeated wrestlers.  They all three could have been ranked #1.

Raley had a loss on the season to Kieffer, its hard to justify him being ranked #1 behind a defending runner-up(Jackson) and someone that beat him.

Goldman did not have the state experience the others ahead of him had.

Pretty easy justification for those rankings.

Raley had a loss on the season to Kieffer, its hard to justify him being ranked #1 behind a defending runner-up(Jackson) and someone that beat him.

wasnt Raley a defending runner-up as well??

But, once Raley lost to Kieffer his argument dor #1 in rankings was hurt.  All 3 are great wrestlers.....

Rankings guy.  I have to agree with you on the way all three were ranked and I am really impressed that you were able to rank and pick the 2 to win state.  If you would have picked Goldman to win, I would have said you rigged the state tournament.  Amazing job this year and the main reason I come on this site.  Thanks for all the work that you do and look forward to next year.  Thanks again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.