Middle School State Championships - Who to watch??

base

Some to watch:

85 - Drew Hughes, Sage Coy

90 - Cael McCormick, Jake Tucker

110 - May be the most loaded wt. class I can see:  Ben Harvey, Blake Rypel, Darden Schurg, Hunter Fox

117 - Bailey Lahue, Joey Mammolenti

125 - Got to go with Tommy Forte.  Also saw a Cody Runyon in there - is that younger bro of state champ Briar Runyon?

132 - Evan Smiley, Kyler Fleener

140 - Connor James, Isaiah Kemper

160 - Scotty Sopko - this kid is a beast

Good luck to the Lowell Boys this weekend! All have a good chance of placing or winning the title!

Colton Cummings

Ryan Bottos

Drew Hughes

Jake Tucker

Darion Hornickel

Brandon Arena

Jose Champagne

Jake Rothrock

Sam Steward

--Coach Tucker, Lowell Wrestling

Bellrs,

Nice you stirring the pot! hehe

Alright, I'll give it a try but I am obviously biased: (In NO particular order! haha)

75lbs: Cummings, Egli, Reitz, , Hildebrandt, Glogouski?

80lbs: Red, Pepple, Langeloh, Bailey, ?

85lbs: Hughes, Bottos, Hudkins, Ferguson, Coy, Akers, Schermer, Black

90lbs: Tucker, McCormick, Johnson, James, Briggeman, Johnson, Schurg, Bane

95lbs: Cash, Crary, Ford, Gray, Ellis

102lbs: Arena, Osborn, Shipley, Lee, Davison, Franko, Kriech, Van Camp, Torres

110lbs: Hornickel, Fox, Schurg, Rypel, Harvey, Eiring, Krause, Hesch, Dempler, Miller

117lbs: Champagne, Rothrock, LaHue, Childers, Mammolenti, Vaughn, Scott

125lbs: Forte, Stewart, Haynes, Donaldson

132lbs: Smiley, Bennett, Fleener, Chaffee, Stassin, Guerrero

140lbs: James, Kemper, Pedigo, Burns, Evans

150lbs: ???????? Not sure???

160lbs: Sopko, Estes

175lbs: Steveson, ??????

195lbs: Kral, ?????

220lbs: Steward, Kessler, ????

Hwt: ??????? Not sure???

I most likely overlooked quite a few but this is "off the cuff"...good luck to everyone!!!!

Thanks for the follow through  :)

It has to be hard to point out favorites when the depth is as great as it is in some of those brackets.  However, I always like hearing some new North names that I am not familiar with.    Best of luck to Jake and to the rest of your boys!  I am sure there will be several at the top.

I think I will give it a shot

75 - Blake Glogouski, Jeremiah Reitz,  Alec White, Drew Hildebrandt ( I think Glogouski will be the front runner here but the rest will be close behind)

80 - Chad Red, Garrett Pepple, Josh Heckathorn, Noah Warren, Hunter Langeloh

85 - Drew Hughes, , Tyler Ferguson, Griffin Schermer, Sage Coy, Brad Laughlin, Brock Hudkins

90 - Jake Tucker, Brett Johnson, Cael McCormick, Andy Oliver, Clarence Johnson

95 - Ryan Ford, Jason Crary, Jack Chastain, Josh Clem, Jacob Gray ( I hope Tommy is in there somewhere)

102- Nick Lee, Chase Osborn, Tanner Bruce, Jake Kriech, Kellen VanKamp, Jay Franko, Tanner Shipley

110- Hunter Fox, Ben Harvey, Darden Schurg, Blake Rypel,  Sawyer Miller, Cliff Eiring, Elijah Dunn ( this will be a great bracket to watch with 4-5 that can pull out a 1st)

117- Bailey Lahue, Jose Champagne, Joey Mammolenti, Brody Boles, Brendon Helm, Devin Childers ( Top 3 here we be a battle between Lahue, Champagne and Mammolenti, will have to wait and see who walks with the title)

125- Tommy Forte, Ben Stewart, Josh Stewart, Seth Orth

132- Evan Smiley ;D, Nick Brickens, Kyler Fleener ( I think Smiley will be the front runner here)

140- Conner James, Isaiah Kemper, Chase Redding, Ben Popp, Corbin Pedigo ( A must see match up between these top 2 power houses with James and Kemper)

150- Jacob Stevenson, Travis Gooding, Corey Hinkle ( Stevenson looks really good this year, look for him to take this one)

160- Scottie Sopko, Gabe Estes, Noah Grable, Jason Moran ( Another tough match up with Sopko and Estes, everyone else will fight it out for 3rd-6th)

175- Bobby Steveson, Wesley Beck, Seth Meyer, Jonathan Hedricks ( Bobby Steveson - enough said)

195- Morgan Kral, Mason Morningstar, Ben Tasseff

220- Sam Steward, Dallas Lawson, Jimmy Montgomery-

95 - Ryan Ford, Jason Crary, Jack Chastain, Josh Clem, Jacob Gray ( I hope Tommy is in there somewhere)

I would say Tommy is the clear favorite.  Jack is looking forward to seeing how he stacks up.

It should be a fun day.  Here is hoping for a decent draw.

I think I will give it a shot

75 - Blake Glogouski, Jeremiah Reitz,  Alec White, Drew Hildebrandt ( I think Glogouski will be the front runner here but the rest will be close behind)

80 - Chad Red, Garrett Pepple, Josh Heckathorn, Noah Warren, Hunter Langeloh

85 - Drew Hughes, , Tyler Ferguson, Griffin Schermer, Sage Coy, Brad Laughlin, Brock Hudkins

90 - Jake Tucker, Brett Johnson, Cael McCormick, Andy Oliver, Clarence Johnson

102- Nick Lee, Chase Osborn, Tanner Bruce, Jake Kriech, Kellen VanKamp, Jay Franko, Tanner Shipley

110- Hunter Fox, Ben Harvey, Darden Schurg, Blake Rypel,  Sawyer Miller, Cliff Eiring, Elijah Dunn ( this will be a great bracket to watch with 4-5 that can pull out a 1st)

117- Bailey Lahue, Jose Champagne, Joey Mammolenti, Brody Boles, Brendon Helm, Devin Childers ( Top 3 here we be a battle between Lahue, Champagne and Mammolenti, will have to wait and see who walks with the title)

125- Tommy Forte, Ben Stewart, Josh Stewart, Seth Orth

132- Evan Smiley ;D, Nick Brickens, Kyler Fleener ( I think Smiley will be the front runner here)

140- Conner James, Isaiah Kemper, Chase Redding, Ben Popp, Corbin Pedigo ( A must see match up between these top 2 power houses with James and Kemper)

150- Jacob Stevenson, Travis Gooding, Corey Hinkle ( Stevenson looks really good this year, look for him to take this one)

160- Scottie Sopko, Gabe Estes, Noah Grable, Jason Moran ( Another tough match up with Sopko and Estes, everyone else will fight it out for 3rd-6th)

175- Bobby Steveson, Wesley Beck, Seth Meyer, Jonathan Hedricks ( Bobby Steveson - enough said)

195- Morgan Kral, Mason Morningstar, Ben Tasseff

220- Sam Steward, Dallas Lawson, Jimmy Montgomery-

you missed the sleeper at 95......tony vaughn of westside in elkhart took out 4 kids with pins, one more with a major, lost to crary 5-1, and then lost the 3rd place match to ford 6-5 with ford winning on a last second takedown.....keep an eye out for vaughn at elkhart memorial next year.....he's getting better everyday.....

With all fairness to NOSOCCERMOMHERE,

A 4th place finisher is, at times, hard to predict...as you said he was a "sleeper".

If you look at the results, NOSOCCERMOMHERE did a very good job at picking the placers.

you missed the sleeper at 95......tony vaughn of westside in elkhart took out 4 kids with pins, one more with a major, lost to crary 5-1, and then lost the 3rd place match to ford 6-5 with ford winning on a last second takedown.....keep an eye out for vaughn at elkhart memorial next year.....he's getting better everyday.....

This being our first year at this event we only knew of the kids that we have been wrestling over the past several years, so to us they were all sleepers. Tony Vaughn was a new face for us. Very good kid! He almost pulled out against Ford in a close match.

I was a little disapointed that trackwrestling didn't show the wrestle backs to true second. Those were in all cases big matches, with the winner making the second duel team. So looking through the completed brackets the championship match didn't indicate who made up the two duel teams.

With all fairness to NOSOCCERMOMHERE,

A 4th place finisher is, at times, hard to predict...as you said he was a "sleeper".

If you look at the results, NOSOCCERMOMHERE did a very good job at picking the placers.

no doubt nosoccermomhere was good at picking the placers.....just had to throw a plug in for my boy......lol....(proud dad).....

What a great tournament.  It ran well and I think all the big names came out to play.  The dual team should be one of the best Indiana has sent to this dual tournament.  They should be a lot of fun to watch!

75# Will Egli - I feel terrible for overlooking him.  He has always been a tough competitor and should have been on my list.

80# Red looked great as usual.  I think the one that surprised me the most was the how well Noah Warren wrestled.  He has obviously put in the mat time this year and is one to watch.

85# This was a close bracket.  Lots of close matches and fun to watch.  My champion pick came through but not without a fight. Ferguson looked great and Hudkins is a little bruiser.

90# My boy Tucker looked sharp.  Cael McCormick stepped up to the challenge and kept it close with the champ.  I am going to go out on a limb and say McCormick will be our state champ next year.

95# I have to say I am a little bias on this one. I think Tommy wrestled well.  I think the surprise here is the 2nd place finisher in 6th grader Jason Crary.  I always knew the kid was tough but he really impressed me this weekend.  Also, Jacob Gray, another 6th grader was right in there and pulled out a placement. ( shout out to Papa Gray, told you so)  Keep an eye on both these boys in the next couple of years. And yes the sleeper in this group was Tony Vaughn.  I had heard the name but didn't know much about him, now I know the kid is here to complete.  

102# This was a great bracket to watch.  6th grader Nick Lee look very technical and strong.  He put on a great show and I enjoyed watching it.  He is going to be hard to beat in the next couple of year to come.  The match between Shipley and Osborn was the one to watch.  I came down to the last couple seconds, when Tanner pulled it out.  Very exciting.

110# I would have to say this was one of the top 2 weight classes to watch.  It had a ton of tough wrestles from top to bottom.  I think the secret is out of the box, Darden Schurg is for real!  I was amazed by the leap this wrestler has made this year and now that he has gotten a taste of Gold, I don't think there will be any going back for this one.  Blake Rypel wrestled great and I have to crown him the "King of Funk". I think he has learned when to use the funk and when it won't work.  This will make him even more dangerous

117# One of my all time favorites pulled it out here in another tough bracket.  Bailey LaHue is just a beast no question about it and always a class act. Joey Mammolenti looked really good here.  He is always fun to watch and always keeps his cool and never looks frazeled even in the toughest of matches.  Like the one between him and Jose Champagne.  I would have to say this was the match to see in this bracket. 2 technical wrestlers leaving it all on the mat. I do have to say I had that Nu kid on my list and not sure how he didn't get to the message board list.  He has impressed me all year and being as new as he is to the sport, he should be fun to watch in the future.

125# You can't go anywhere but with Tommy Forte for this one.  He looks flawless.  7th grader Big Ben Stewart ;D. Looked really sharp, but the technique of the champ was just too much.  I think we know who will be on top of the bracket next year.

132# I didn't know a lot about this bracket except who was going to win it.  Evan Smiley is a monster and a bit too much for the rest to handle.  Have to give a shout out to Doe Creek wrestler Nick Brickens,  way to go!

140# This one had no clear cut champion, instead it had to champions fighting it out for the title.  I knew the match between Kemper and James was going to be a barn burner.  I flipped a coin for the champion pick and I was wrong.  They both came out to battle and Kemper walked away with an overtime take down.  The only take down in the match.  These 2 impress me everytime I watch them.  Both outstanding wrestlers and great young men.

150# Clear cut winner here Jacob Stevenson has looked great all year so this is no surprise

160# I think this was my favorite match of the tournament.  Scottie Sopko and Gabe Estes was a great match with both of them fighting down to the last whistle sounded.  Sopko is a silent preditor that I think people forget about sometimes until he strikes again.

175 # Bobby Stevson - enough said

195# Morningstar wrestled a tough tournament and came away with the gold.  I knew who was going to be wrestling in the end, just not in what order

220# Sam Steward has really picked it up the last couple of years and is looking really good.  He is one big boy that is really fun to watch. Dallas Lawson has been bringing it all season and I am sure will continue to be right up there.

Didn't have any picks at 275

Thanks again to the people who ran this great event and all the wrestlers who left it all on the mat for us to enjoy.

Good luck to team Indiana in Danville next month!

i dont know if they give an outstanding wrestler award but in my opinion i have it narrowed down to 2 kids....

Jake Tucker....i always knew he was a stud but man was he impressive, the kid can tilt anyone

Nick Lee....he just put on a clinic and being a 1 of 5-6 6th graders out of 45 kids hes amazing....on a completly different level than all others

so i just want to offer my congrats to these 2 kids because in my eyes they really outshined all the rest....

not takin anything away from the other kids so i hope i dont offend, but if you havent seen either of the kids wrestle try and catch a match or 2 they are truly something special

The most exciting point of the day-------the semi's were going in some brackets and finals going in other brackets....I looked at Ken Hughes and told him, "This is the best part of a long day----the electricity in this place is unbelievable". I remember looking around the mats on the main floor and it was awesome!

Thanks IHSWCA for a great day of wrestling!

charger.dad Tony looked good against Ford(only match I saw)  congrats to Tony on his tournment and to all the kids at 95 great group of kids

thanks!....tony has really stepped it up this last year and is starting to show what he can do.....and no doubt, this whole group of kids were terrific....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.