Middle School State Championships - Who to watch??

base

What a great tournament.  It ran well and I think all the big names came out to play.  The dual team should be one of the best Indiana has sent to this dual tournament.  They should be a lot of fun to watch!

75# Will Egli - I feel terrible for overlooking him.  He has always been a tough competitor and should have been on my list.

80# Red looked great as usual.  I think the one that surprised me the most was the how well Noah Warren wrestled.  He has obviously put in the mat time this year and is one to watch.

85# This was a close bracket.  Lots of close matches and fun to watch.  My champion pick came through but not without a fight. Ferguson looked great and Hudkins is a little bruiser.

90# My boy Tucker looked sharp.  Cael McCormick stepped up to the challenge and kept it close with the champ.  I am going to go out on a limb and say McCormick will be our state champ next year.

95# I have to say I am a little bias on this one. I think Tommy wrestled well.  I think the surprise here is the 2nd place finisher in 6th grader Jason Crary.  I always knew the kid was tough but he really impressed me this weekend.  Also, Jacob Gray, another 6th grader was right in there and pulled out a placement. ( shout out to Papa Gray, told you so)  Keep an eye on both these boys in the next couple of years. And yes the sleeper in this group was Tony Vaughn.  I had heard the name but didn't know much about him, now I know the kid is here to complete.  

102# This was a great bracket to watch.  6th grader Nick Lee look very technical and strong.  He put on a great show and I enjoyed watching it.  He is going to be hard to beat in the next couple of year to come.  The match between Shipley and Osborn was the one to watch.  I came down to the last couple seconds, when Tanner pulled it out.  Very exciting.

110# I would have to say this was one of the top 2 weight classes to watch.  It had a ton of tough wrestles from top to bottom.  I think the secret is out of the box, Darden Schurg is for real!  I was amazed by the leap this wrestler has made this year and now that he has gotten a taste of Gold, I don't think there will be any going back for this one.  Blake Rypel wrestled great and I have to crown him the "King of Funk". I think he has learned when to use the funk and when it won't work.  This will make him even more dangerous

i had no idea that jason crary was a 6th grader.....wow....what a tough kid....watch out for him as the years go by....someone told me that alex tsirtsis was in his corner.....can't beat that if it was true.....one very impressive kid......

Did Ford wrestle Crary for a true second?  If so what was the score. 

That was a great bracket.  I to am a little bias but I have to believe that was

one of the toughest weights from top to bottom.  Jack had a great day and still

ended up 5th but he lost to 2 great kids.  He will be hitting the weight room in the

off season.  He needs to get a little more horsepower!

How many of the top 8 will be in HS next year?

ended up 5th but he lost to 2 great kids.  He will be hitting the weight room in the

Crary won 2-0 over Ford in the match for true 2nd. 

Jack is a tough kid for sure. He is and will be a force to be reckoned with in the upcoming years. Tony hits the weights alot but not just your basic stuff. We have a personal training studio and do alot of functional core training. We have athletes from all over the area - from wrestling, baseball, softball, football, basketball - you name it. Kettlebells are a big part of our routines. Tractor tires, ropes, rowers, etc all make up different aspects of the workouts. Steve Stahl who was the 189 state champ a few years back is one of our trainers. If you ever get up to the north end of the state, look us up. It's RockStar Kettlebell Gym in Osceola Indiana. Good luck to Jack.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.