Sectional winning team pulling out of team regionals! (Coaches!)

HN Vikes

I diagree Karl.. i think the IHSAA views wrestling as an individual sport that has a team aspect to it. I think thats how many people actually view the sport.

also, do realize that there is no individual aspect to soccer. By classing soccer, the IHSAA put it on par with other team sports.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I diagree Karl.. i think the IHSAA views wrestling as an individual sport that has a team aspect to it. I think thats how many people actually view the sport.

To me a dual meet is a team event.  Period.  The one on one battle at each weight class are akin to the one on one battle between a center and nose guard or a wide receiver and a defensive back.  An individual who wins a one on on battle gets no reward unless the majority of his teammates do likewise to win the team event.

also, do realize that there is no individual aspect to soccer. By classing soccer, the IHSAA put it on par with other team sports.

Of course, I used that as an example that the IHSAA is not against a change in the status quo.

It's also a TEAM sport, nothing is more exciting than a kid fighting hard off his back and not giving up the pin or bonus points in a close dual with all his team cheering for him. It takes alot of heart to go out and take a whooping from a better wrestler when you know your job at that point is limit the bonus points given. It's a TEAM sport in the room when you have to continue to improve or the next guy in line may just take your spot in a wrestle off. He's pushing you to be better everyday. It's a TEAM sport when the JV guy has to fill a hole in the line up and his team is supporting him to do his best for the "Team" If that is not your experience then I feel for ya and I appreciate our coaching staff even more for pushing our "Team" to do their best. Best of luck  to all the teams this week in the individual and team series. Stay safe roads are gonna be bad.

GO FALCONS!!

I was hoping the Committee To Save Team State would have that figured out by now.

I have answered this question before.  I said back in November that the current format was dead with the IHSAA and the best plan was to blow up the current format and work on classed team state proposal.

That is exactaly what that group has been working on.  It is much more difficult than just coming up with a proposal.  

If you have a format that you think would work then please share it.  I'm sure the IHSWCA would be open to hearing it.  The committee was open to any ihswca member you could join it or share your ideas, maybe they would help us get a classed team state which would be awsome.

I am not going to accept the "individual sport with team apects" stuff.

If we are not a team sport, then a dual series is silly.  

I say we are a team sport.  We need to be forward thinking.  We need a classed team series based only on dual meet success.

That is exactaly what that group has been working on.  It is much more difficult than just coming up with a proposal. 

If you have a format that you think would work then please share it.  I'm sure the IHSWCA would be open to hearing it.  The committee was open to any ihswca member you could join it or share your ideas, maybe they would help us get a classed team state which would be awsome.

I would like to see what the Committee has come up with first to avoid duplication.

I would like to clarify the fact that I think wrestling IS a team sport. I just do not think the IHSAA views the sport that way for two reason.

1) have not classed wrestling like the OTHER teams sports

and

2) that they are willing, and would like to decide a team championship by an individual tournament

I would like to clarify the fact that I think wrestling IS a team sport. I just do not think the IHSAA views the sport that way for two reason.

1) have not classed wrestling like the OTHER teams sports

I would say that the coach's association is more responsible for this than the IHSAA.

2) that they are willing, and would like to decide a team championship by an individual tournament

Why do you believe this?  Is it that the coach's association still gave out a team title based on the individual tournament?

There have been numerous plans outlined on here that were all very well thought out.

I completley agree Y2.  I hope that someday one will be in place.  

Karl the committee has focused more on advertising and the state clinic to get the attendence up and show that the team series can be peofitable which is still an important component to this.  If it makes a lot of money than we have good shot at keeping it.  The next logical step would be a push for classing it, and an idea for the setup would be helpful.

I would say that the coach's association is more responsible for this than the IHSAA.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Why do you believe this?  Is it that the coach's association still gave out a team title based on the individual tournament?

I think the coach's trophy is just an excuse for the IHSAA to get rid of team state, and a reason for the IHSAA to get angry and not listen to the coaches association. I also think publishing the class wrestling polls in the newspapers just angers the IHSAA (although i like them on the board). I think if the IHSAA really thought that wrestling was a team sport then they would not have team state on the chopping block, but instead since they don't see it as a team sport and have never seen it as such, they are willing to get rid of the team tourney.

I completley agree Y2.  I hope that someday one will be in place. 

Karl the committee has focused more on advertising and the state clinic to get the attendence up and show that the team series can be peofitable which is still an important component to this.  If it makes a lot of money than we have good shot at keeping it.  The next logical step would be a push for classing it, and an idea for the setup would be helpful.

So you are saying that if the team state finals made a boat load of money and changed the minds of the IHSAA there would be no proposal ready to put on the table?

Possibly, but i think that the IHSAA thinks they can make a boat load of money by making the individual state the place where the state champ is crowned. Besides, when does the IHSAA really every change their minds ;-)

So you are saying that if the team state finals made a boat load of money and changed the minds of the IHSAA there would be no proposal ready to put on the table?

I have been to the last four regional rep meetings and do not know what the propossal will be.  We have worked on the coaches survey, the team state clinic,  advertising the team state, and the spring clinic.  We have discussed routes to get the team side classed.  As far as a propossal I do not know what it will be.

We are going the state is making us go we tried not going but any one that isn't wrestling tomorrow will be punished by not be able to wrestle on saturday.

Just talked to a wrestler from eastern. My only thought is you don't want to get injured at  team event when your wrestling saturday and have  the number 1  seed in your bracket.

When will the ihsaa get real.

The IHSAA should have tried their best to talk the Eastern AD out of making the decision to withdraw the team. Once that conversation was over, the IHSAA  needed to call the superintendent of the school corp to discuss the situation with him/her. If the IHSAA had handled this situation better, none of us would have known anything about it.

Being the IHSAA isn't interested in continuing the team state series I don't see them going above and beyond in this case.  Just look at the last part of Mr. Cox's response to see he can use this as another reason for Team State being irrelevant. The damage through several issue over the past several years that should have been addressed better way before this year.  This issue just give Mr. Cox the final fodder he needs to explain to the rest of the IHSAA board that may be on the fence why its worth dropping the event.  Regardless of if Eastern actually wrestle or not  now the Mr. Cox got all he needed from the incident when he got the e-mail.  Anything further that comes from this issues is basically a moot point.  I saw a slime chance of persuading the other IHSAA board Team State could work with how this years event turned out along adjustments they could make for the future.  Since this event and Mr. Cox's response to it I don't think their is enough that can be shown or said to stop his influence over that group.

We are going the state is making us go we tried not going but any one that isn't wrestling tomorrow will be punished by not be able to wrestle on saturday.

Just talked to a wrestler from eastern. My only thought is you don't want to g et injured at  team event when your wrestling saturday and have  the number 1  seed in your bracket.

When will the ihsaa get real.

Every other team wrestling in the regional takes the same chance.  This is the worst reason yet that I have heard for not wrestling and exactalty what IHSAA was talking about.  if the reason you gave is correct then the IHSAA did exactatly what they should have.  Fear of getting hurt is not a reason not to wrestle someone, that is a total joke.

Every other team wrestling in the regional takes the same chance.  This is the worst reason yet that I have heard for not wrestling and exactalty what IHSAA was talking about. 

Would you like the IHSAA forcing you to wrestle all your regional qualifiers?

Would you like the IHSAA forcing you to wrestle all your regional qualifiers?

It would have never came to that.  We would have been there no matter what,  and all able bodied wrestlers would have wrestled.  due to injury or illness we did not have our full varsity lineup in at any event this year, we did not pull out of any event.

Able bodied or not the Eastern kids have to wrestle if they want to wrestle at individual regionals.  I wonder if that ruling is only for Eastern or the all teams???

It was their choice to try and pull out of the regionals.  Had they not done that they would not be in this situation.  I am sure if a kid is truelly to hurt to wrestle then the IHSAA would be resonable and not force them to wrestle.  

I have a hard time that this is anything but an empty threat. I am not sure how they could enforce this.

I have no clue what was actually said but being the superintendent wanted them back into the event that ruling sound like it comes from him/her more than the IHSAA.  From what was said Mr. Cox seems to be OK accepting Eastern not showing.

It was their choice to try and pull out of the regionals.  Had they not done that they would not be in this situation.  I am sure if a kid is truelly to hurt to wrestle then the IHSAA would be resonable and not force them to wrestle. 

It was Peru's choice to wrestle a JV team a few years back and their varsity got to wrestle.  I would argue that at least Eastern was up front and didn't try to use deception to rest their varsity.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.