Al Smith Brackets

Y2CJ41

Thank you, for answering my question. Everything is based on state. No wonder these kids wrestle so relaxed at AL-SMiTH no pressure at all. If you ask me  if anyone loses, don't change there rankings. Wait till after state, so than for sure we will know how accurate the seedings should be.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see there was a lot of people that should have been, could have been, were not there. Could you guys at least set up a conference call. Meeting of the minds. It looks like things were run by a dictatorship. Call it damage control. Just dont see the justification. More questions, then answers, never a good thing.

In general, it was a very fair meeting and all discussions/arguments were considered.  Please remember that seeding a big tournament with teams from all over the  state and many kids with very impressive records and resumes is not always cut and dry to determine seeds.  Only a handful of teams did not have a coach at the meeting, but in some weight classes it is not easy to seed and coaches need to be there to make arguments why their wrestler should be seeded at certain slot.

Karl I though you and the rest of the Triumvrate were suppose to be present at the Al Smith seeding meeting to ensure everything was bracketed the right way?

Y2, Karl, and myself were absent from the meeting because we mistakenly thought that it began at 2 pm instead of at 10 am.  Luckily, I did not make the drive out there to find they out, but they unfortunately did.

Thank you, for answering my question. Everything is based on state. No wonder these kids wrestle so relaxed at AL-SMiTH no pressure at all. If you ask me  if anyone loses, don't change there rankings. Wait till after state, so than for sure we will know how accurate the seedings should be.

I have no idea what you are trying to say?

Do you honestly want previous Al Smith placement to trump placement in the state finals????

No, not all. Just say any state qualifer will trump any other record. Even if another guy is undefeated and the state qualifer has 4 losses on the year. What i am saying nothing else goes into consideration only if you are a state qualifier. As you can see, as you agreed only state qualification matters.

No, not all. Just say any state qualifer will trump any other record. Even if another guy is undefeated and the state qualifer has 4 losses on the year. What i am saying nothing else goes into consideration only if you are a state qualifier. As you can see, as you agreed only state qualification matters.

A 4 and a 5 seed have basically no difference when the tournament starts.

Im sorry, if i was misunderstood. Im not talking about one wrestler here. Im talking about the seeding of a whole team based because a coach was not there. How is it that a team that is ranked 4th in the state only have one wrestler in the top three seeds out of 14 weight classes.

Im sorry, if i was misunderstood. Im not talking about one wrestler here. Im talking about the seeding of a whole team based because a coach was not there. How is it that a team that is ranked 4th in the state only have one wrestler in the top three seeds out of 14 weight classes.

Because very few of their wrestlers are returning state qualifiers or Al Smith placers.

I am not sure if this is the case or not, but sometimes having a great JV team means the replacements for the departing wrestlers are plenty qualified to fill the their shoes, but dont yet have the resume.  I am sure in every tournment a wrestler who has plenty of talent gets seeded much lower because of their lack of a resume.  I know it happened at Jeff Classic, I know at Mooresville Bass @ 215 is ranked 9th in the state and not even seeded in the top 4.  But his resume this year doesnt support he be any higher.  Its not how you wrestle in the middle of the season its how your finish the season and yes going to state should be considered way above how someone did at a tournment in the middle of the year.  Just my opinion, and I am wrong alot:)

No, i agree. You could also say what you did last year has no baring on this year. You still have to go out there and do it. The past is the past. What have you done for me lately. Taken either way. There are so many reasons why kids are seated the way they are. I agree, state is the only qualification you should look at. Last year qualification..

To me, the bottom line looks like there will be an even greater number of high quality matches this year on both days due more to the talent spread rather than the seeding.  Maybe the hometown fans of particular teams might not like having to dig points out of the wrestlebacks, but the general fans and the wrestlers themselves are the big winners here.  How hard is that to recognize?

To me, the bottom line looks like there will be an even greater number of high quality matches this year on both days due more to the talent spread rather than the seeding.  Maybe the hometown fans of particular teams might not like having to dig points out of the wrestlebacks, but the general fans and the wrestlers themselves are the big winners here.  How hard is that to recognize?

I cannot answer the last part. Only the wrestlers can? I just hope the finals are as good as advertised. If not, the fans are the real losers than...

Berry was seeded behind an undefeated returning state qualifier.  I don't remember seeing Berry at state last year.

Would had been hard for you or anyone to see Berry at state last year. He did not wrestle last 6 weeks--was hurt. Hard to make it to Conseco--if you don;t even wrestle Sectionals.

Why would you have to fight for a wrestler? I thought wrestling was the only sport where everything was settled on the mat. Im sorry i was misinformed. To argue for a wrestler. If wrestling was not enough. Hmm..

Me fail English... that's unpossible.

Would had been hard for you or anyone to see Berry at state last year. He did not wrestle last 6 weeks--was hurt. Hard to make it to Conseco--if you don;t even wrestle Sectionals.

I'm really sorry he was injured at the end of last season and didn't get to wrestle in the state tournament.  Trust me when I say that I can completely relate to that feeling.

Ummmmmmm..........If he is the best wrestler in the weight class, then what difference does it really make if he is the #1 or #2 seed?  It was basically a no brainer at the meeting......an undefeated state qualifier was the obvious choice for the #1 seed.

Ummmmmmm..........If he is the best wrestler in the weight class, then what difference does it really make if he is the #1 or #2 seed?  It was basically a no brainer at the meeting......an undefeated state qualifier was the obvious choice for the #1 seed.

Thank you!

I'm really sorry he was injured at the end of last season and didn't get to wrestle in the state tournament.  Trust me when I say that I can completely relate to that feeling.

I wish they were all no brainers. At least the decisions would make a lot more since..

I wish they were all no brainers. At least the decisions would make a lot more since..

Actually, most of the #1 seed were no brainers.  However, many weight classes were not so cut and dry after the top couple of seeds.  There were many discussions as the seeding went and no one person had the final say on the seed positions.  If ANYONE had something to say about a wrestler or where they should be seeded there was a discussion before it was put on the board.  That is why I think it is very important for a representitive from every school to be present.  Can't be part of the discussion if your not there!!!!

I completely understand. Im sure a lot of people do not agree with the seedings.That is whysince no one was there to represent some teams over another this a chance for people to vent and say most definite the outcomes would have been different. I just find it sad, since  it happened this way. Where is the validity. Teams are at such an unfair advantage if no one is there to represent them. Its like a wrestler going out there to wrestle. One wrestler has a coach in a corner and the other one doesn't. If refs don't let you wrestle, well maybe it should be mandatory. Rules are made to be changed. 

So why are you complaining about him being seeded second?  Why does he deserve the #1 seed?

Was not complaining--was just venting--if everyone else on team got lower seeding than expected--thought maybe in Xmas spirit--you would had thrown us a bone--to makes us wrestling fans feel good about the seeding process. Just an old man venting--hoping maybe one went our way--maybe next year.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.