FW SS Updates

goul149

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Hog,

I have watched many matches with Garrett Weber, it was no surprise he hit a headlock.  Everyone that has seen him wrestle knows what is coming, but in all honesty, you still can't prevent it from happening.  Weber is a unique type of wrestler, very similar to Jacob Tonte.  He is never out of a match and certainly makes matches exciting to watch.  He has beaten many very good wrestlers with his style and that is what makes wrestling so great.  He is not particularly athletic or strong, but somehow he has developed a style that suits him and his personality and been extremely successful with it.  He has won numerous state titles throughout the years and will continue to be a dangerous wrestler. 

Your son was by no means caught in a headlock.

I never stated that he was caught in the headlock, I stated that Weber attemped that move serveral times during the match, and that Hogendobler possibly could have realized it and not put himself in that position.

He was caught in a headlock just the same as someone is caught in a nice double leg.  The difference is a headlock can change or end the match very quickly.  Trust me with this, Weber doesn't catch people in headlocks.  You don't catch someone in it if they know its coming.

By all means, you're the expert here, right?

The biggest lie in the sport of wrestling is that a headlock (or any throw for that matter) is a junk move.  A headlock can be one of the most leathal moves in the sports when used properly.  When you wrestled a guy like Kurt Kinser you know it is coming you just can't stop it.  Plus a good thrower will make an offensive wrestler very leary on the mat.  I have seen great wrestlers being not able to pull the trigger against good throwers.  Greco should be taught at all levels, because it can be a great offense or a terrific defense during a wrestling match.  

Well when everyone in the ACAC, Carroll Sectional and Regional and many people around the state know its coming from Garrett Weber, then yes.  Just as the whole state knows Jacob Tonte has a headlock.

The only time we had seen Weber wrestle was the first round match, which I don't think he used that move in, and we had not heard of his headlock expertise. But that is not my point, my point was that Hogendobler had that same move put on him once in the match already, and attemped 3-4 other times in the match. So Chris should have not put himself in position for that move. I notice that LaRowe wrestled wrestled him very safe afterwards, not really attemping cradles and keeping his head clear. My whole point was that Chris made a mistake. Not that Weber is a subpar wrestler. I believe him to be an excellant wrestler. And why am I getting negetive  cool points for this discussion.

LaRowe wrestled Weber earlier in the year and knew what to be aware of.  Weber has a way of taking you out of your game because you have to watch out for the headlock.  It then opens up other offense.  Add to that his insane flexibility for a 152lber and it is not a fun match to wrestle, win or lose.

LaRowe wrestled Weber earlier in the year and knew what to be aware of.  Weber has a way of taking you out of your game because you have to watch out for the headlock.  It then opens up other offense.  Add to that his insane flexibility for a 152lber and it is not a fun match to wrestle, win or lose.

Like I said...

Coaches should talk to other coaches and get info on kids at this level.  We had wrestled in some form or fashion eight of the ten wrestlers we faced yesterday.  If we don't know about a kid, we will find information out from other coaches so our kids are prepared. 

Thats crazy talk

Coaches should talk to other coaches and get info on kids at this level.  We had wrestled in some form or fashion eight of the ten wrestlers we faced yesterday.  If we don't know about a kid, we will find information out from other coaches so our kids are prepared. 

Well Coach, I tried to get as much information as I could about the wrestlers that Steve, Nestor, and Chris would wrestle. Many of the coaches I talked to had not seen these kids wrestle, or they were unwilling to "rat" out competitors from their own conference or area. But, I guess i just didn't try hard enough.

Seth Molnar

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.