New Castle brackets released????

Coach Wilk

Does anyone else think they should have waited to release these until after the Richmond Regional played out? If I knew a first place finish would give me Brandon Wright in the round to go, I might think twice especially if a second or third place finish ensured an easier road to Conseco. Any other thoughts out there?

Does anyone else think they should have waited to release these until after the Richmond Regional played out? If I knew a first place finish would give me Brandon Wright in the round to go, I might think twice especially if a second or third place finish ensured an easier road to Conseco. Any other thoughts out there?

I am with ya. It should be redrawn.

However we wouldn't be having this argument if there were wrestle-backs!

It wouldn't be a problem if coaches taught kids ethics and integrity either.

Yeah but they are still kids.

Have you ever done anything unethical when you were a kid.

Would you want to win your regional if you knew you would be rewarded with seeing arguably the best in the state in the ticket round. These are 15-18 year old kids.

Y2,  you put those kids in a very tough position to be in.

If I am a coach and I see a kid pulling something like that, he would be punished and the severity could be that he was removed from the tournament.  No way would I let a kid purposely lose a match.  As coaches we need to look at the bigger picture in life, wrestling is not that big of a deal...and that is coming from someone who eats, sleeps and breathes this great sport.

They should have waited until the Regional was over...however, Y2 is right...the focus on this should be on the ethical behavor of the individuals trying to "manuever" the brackets to fit their needs.  I think there is something missing these days that we used to rely on, but we've gotten away from it because it's better to win at any cost...

"To BE the best, you've got to BEAT the best!"

Y2,

I hope your comment wasn't directed at me. I agree with you on ethics and integrity but unfortunately we don't live in an ideal world. I simply brought up the point that the brackets for New Castle probably shouldn't have been released until Wednesday. I'm surprised you didn't see the problem this may cause for the wrestlers and coaches at Richmond. Please don't take this as a "slam" on you or your website. I just think you dropped the ball on this one...

The IHSAA released the draws not Y2. Yeah obviously it would of been better to wait to release the draw until the conclusion of the Richmond Regional.  It is out now so there isn't much we can do about it.  Everyone still has to go out and compete and I don't think this is going to have an detrimental effect on the state tournament series.  I don't think redrawing the brackets would be a good idea either.  Then your going to have people complaining that their orginal placement and draw was comprimised.  Sometimes we just have to play the cards we are dealt.  Good luck at Richmond tonight and good luck to all the wrestlers competing at NC Saturday.

My son was a regional champ last year and drew a 3rd place finisher from another regional, who he ended up losing to in the ticket round.  The wrestler ended up finishing 4th in the State.  I asked my son if he knew ahead of time that this could happen and that he could have had a better matchup by defaulting the regional finals and finishing 2nd, what would he have done.  He said he would still want to be the regional champ, even if it meant a bad draw, because he wrestles to win every time he goes on the mat, no matter what the next matchup may be.  He said that if you want to be the champ, you must beat everyone who comes in your path, and that a true competitor never loses on purpose.

If I am a coach and I see a kid pulling something like that, he would be punished and the severity could be that he was removed from the tournament.  No way would I let a kid purposely lose a match.  As coaches we need to look at the bigger picture in life, wrestling is not that big of a deal...and that is coming from someone who eats, sleeps and breathes this great sport.

BINGO. 

I cannot see a redraw.  We are talking about one regional and, to the extent there are some "wrestle Brandon Wright or lose in Regionals" scenarios out there, we are talking about very few weight classes and one regional.  Kis are preparing for their matches.  So, stop huring the majority in fear of a few isolated incidents.  There will always be isolated incidents.  Let's move on . . . .

I cannot see a redraw.  We are talking about one regional and, to the extent there are some "wrestle Brandon Wright or lose in Regionals" scenarios out there, we are talking about very few weight classes and one regional.  Kis are preparing for their matches.  So, stop huring the majority in fear of a few isolated incidents.  There will always be isolated incidents.  Let's move on . . . .

Your right I'm sure that's what they thought when they left the 14% out of the Jay County Regionals. No big deal as long as it's fair for "most" of the kids... We all know how well that turned out.

Your right I'm sure that's what they thought when they left the 14% out of the Jay County Regionals. No big deal as long as it's fair for "most" of the kids... We all know how well that turned out.

JAG:  I understand your knee-jerk reaction.  But, by redrawing, you are hurting the majority of wrestlers (all currently bracketed-wrestlers, in fact) who are actually preparing for their matches with strtaegy, moves, etc.  Unlike the "no-opportunity" issue with the Jay County situation, everyone here gets an oportunity and a change hurts all other wrestlers.  I am sure that is not what you want -- unless you do not like your current draw for your Noblesville wrestler ? ? ? ?  Just sayin'

We were told at our regionals that the pairing sheets for the semi-state were not going to be handed out at all on Saturday and that we would have to wait until the IHSAA released them.  I might be wrong but didn't Y2 stated that he got the sheets after their regionals was completed? I could be wrong, but somehow he got a hold of the draw and posted the brackets.  I also know that the Calumet regional coaches did not receive the draws, so I thought this was told to all of the regional coaches.  Sounds to me like someone let the cat out of the bag, I don't mean posting the draw but handed out the semi-state draw sheet.

I am fairly certain that there were no strategic defaults in the Richmond Regional tonight.  I think there was only one default, and it was in the Finals where a kid who suffered an injury in Team Regional decided he was better off not aggravating it further.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.