Quincy Richey--Brown County?

inhunter1983

He is doing very well this year, especially considering he moved up 4 weight classes since last year (8th in '09 at 130 to this year at 152).  That's quite a jump.  Not sure many could jump 4 weight classes and still be one of the top wrestlers in the state.

how can any one be impressed by such a poor sportsman and thug. He intentionaly broke a kids finger last year at the finals and was DQ'D. his coaches and parents as well as himself should be ashamed and embarased by him and his actions I have watched him wrestle several times this season and he still acts like a spoiled brat and looses his composure. I am really getting sickened of the poor sportmanship that is surfacing in our sport and the support for it we should try to discourage it not reward or praise it just because the can win our school a title.

No its not that i dont care for him I think he could become A great wrestler and he has a lot of skill but the way he carries himself takes alot away from him. I would love to see his coaches and parents yank his chain and step up to their duties. Our duties as coaches ar not only to train athletes but to also mold these young people to become pilars of our society. Its not him its what he is taught that is the problem in my opinion

how can any one be impressed by such a poor sportsman and thug. He intentionaly broke a kids finger last year at the finals and was DQ'D. his coaches and parents as well as himself should be ashamed and embarased by him and his actions I have watched him wrestle several times this season and he still acts like a spoiled brat and looses his composure. I am really getting sickened of the poor sportmanship that is surfacing in our sport and the support for it we should try to discourage it not reward or praise it just because the can win our school a title.

First of all, he did not break  the opponents finger, and secondly he was not DQ'd. He was penalized, yes, and he paid the price.  I had the best seat in the house, as I made the call  ;)

Wrestling is avery emotional sport and 15 year old kids sometimes make mistakes.  I don't approve of this type of behavior, but the kid was properly penalized during his match.  I would assume that you have made some mistakes in your life that you are not proud of.  He is an outstanding wrestler and maybe you should give the kid a break.

Only a true PUNK would post what you did against a 15 year old. If you are real man then post your name, otherwise; you should keep your classless thoughts to yourself!!!  Also, I hope your son or wrestler doesn't have to wrestle him because it sounds like a bitter parent or coach that already lost to him!!

I have no ill will twards young mister Ritchey and would like nothing more than for him to develop into the wrestler and MAN he has the potential to be. I think he has a real stong chance to take 1st at state. But it is my opinion as I have attended several meets and matches over the years where he has lost controll of his emotions and his coaches have not corrected him in fact from the otherside of the mat it almost seems incouraged at times. I have not had any kid I am connected with have a bad match with him to make me feel this way. As for his age of 15 I dont think that  is to early to teach emotional controll & how to interact in society to the kids as well as demand it from them. but maybe I have a different thought process I feel wrestling is a great place to teach life lessons not just win at all costs. I think slaming the mat or walking of with out shaking hands win or loose is poor sportmanship but obiously I am of the minorty  so I will gladly keep my thoughts to myself but I will leave one last thought "If we do not stand up and take the time to teach the children we come in contact with to do the right things to do someone will come behind us and spend the time to teach them the wrong ones"   

I have no ill will twards young mister Ritchey and would like nothing more than for him to develop into the wrestler and MAN he has the potential to be. I think he has a real stong chance to take 1st at state. But it is my opinion as I have attended several meets and matches over the years where he has lost controll of his emotions and his coaches have not corrected him in fact from the otherside of the mat it almost seems incouraged at times. I have not had any kid I am connected with have a bad match with him to make me feel this way. As for his age of 15 I dont think that  is to early to teach emotional controll & how to interact in society to the kids as well as demand it from them. but maybe I have a different thought process I feel wrestling is a great place to teach life lessons not just win at all costs. I think slaming the mat or walking of with out shaking hands win or loose is poor sportmanship but obiously I am of the minorty  so I will gladly keep my thoughts to myself but I will leave one last thought "If we do not stand up and take the time to teach the children we come in contact with to do the right things to do someone will come behind us and spend the time to teach them the wrong ones"   

Sorry, I missed the part where you signed your name.

pin2win,

I'll agree with you!!  These are the same responses that were made when someone pointed out this behavior last year.  Age is no excuse.  I saw him blatently try to poke barlow's eye out when he was ready to get cradled at regionals and then he get's DQ'd at state.  I was hoping this year he'd be different and I can honestly say I don't know if he is cause I have not seen him wrestle this year but it doesn't sound like it.  I hope he get's guidance from his older brother who seemed to me to be a class act.  Quincy is very talented and I think he can win state this year no doubt about it.

pin2win,

I'll agree with you!!  These are the same responses that were made when someone pointed out this behavior last year.  Age is no excuse.  I saw him blatently try to poke barlow's eye out when he was ready to get cradled at regionals and then he get's DQ'd at state.  I was hoping this year he'd be different and I can honestly say I don't know if he is cause I have not seen him wrestle this year but it doesn't sound like it.  I hope he get's guidance from his older brother who seemed to me to be a class act.  Quincy is very talented and I think he can win state this year no doubt about it.

The ref who was in action during the match already said...it wasnt  DQ?? Did you miss something

I sorry my name is Mike Stevens from Southport and I guess it makes a real differance to the kid with the injured finger that he was penalised not DQ' D it was obvious that it was intentional but as i can see the comunity seems to to approve of these tactics and I find myself in the minorty other than pantherfan so maybe I should think about teaching my kids to compete this way you know throw elbows when the ref cant see bite grab head gear and that type of stuff.

I think his actions are uncalled for. He is gong to to be judged more because he is a better wrestler. I haven't seen him do anything wrong but i havent seen him enough. But you are not in the minority but do feel like when this topic is brought up everyone makes excuses for these kids. I thought wrestling was teaching life lessons   

I don't think people are condoning the behavior but they have a problem with the sweeping comments about the kid himself (like calling him a thug). He is very young and,while that doesn't excuse him completely, age and emotional maturity are very real factors here. Wrestling is a very intense, very combat-mimicking sport and we have no idea what his or any other young man's "real life" is like. I know I was not the most mature when I was 15 and I did things at that age that I wouldn't have done later in life.

I get your point about his behavior, but maybe try to re-phrase some of your observations.

After reflecting on my intentions and your post Point taken Dingo I will edit my first statement. I Personaly find it hard to be impressed by poor sportsmanship and thugish tactics which as of late seem to be more accepted and encouraged. I would like to see our wrestling comunity as a whole make a better effort identify & instruct the members of our comunity regardles of the results they yeild. The only reason I presented this on this post is the fact that I have seen several incidents with Mr. Ritchey over the years yet their appears to be an acceptance by his supporters. I had hoped he or they would read this and possibly I could motivate them or him to look inside  and try to improve on the situation. As well as any other members of our comunity who find themselves turning a blind eye to these actions in kids who place high. I pearsonally would much rather be complimented on the way my boys conduct themselves in public even if they do not place than have a list of state champions with kids who behave poorly. I have found that when you instill the since of dignity and respect the placing high in events seems to take care of its self. In closing I would like to extend an apoligy to Ritchey for directing the word thug at you personally instead of your actions but I do not have any regret for pointing out that these actions are wrong, unacceptable and greatly detract from the way people view you regardles of how well you compete. If it is just a loss of emotional controll please work tword resolving this and your efforts will return great divdens and a greater respect your piers.

I sorry my name is Mike Stevens from Southport and I guess it makes a real differance to the kid with the injured finger that he was penalised not DQ' D it was obvious that it was intentional but as i can see the comunity seems to to approve of these tactics and I find myself in the minorty other than pantherfan so maybe I should think about teaching my kids to compete this way you know throw elbows when the ref cant see bite grab head gear and that type of stuff.

My question would be how do you know it was intentional, how close were you to the action, and how do you know what was going through his head? I don't think that his opponent or the coaching staff from Columbia City were as upset as you seem to be???

I'm not defending the wrestler or his past behaviors, but I haven't seen any incidents of this nature having been reported this sseason, so it seems like sour grapes to bring  up what occurred last year. The Brown County coach is Mark Bruner, former state champion from Homestead, and he's a class act that will address any issue in a stern and appropriate manner.  You can count on life lessons being taught by coach bruner, and it's my understanding that mitchell Ritchey has been coaching  at BC as well, so there's another reason to believe that he's getting good direction.

It ia a shame some kids actions sometimes overshadow their accomplishments on the mat. There are many fine young men wrestling in this state that have not had half of the accomplishments statewide as this wrestler. You would hope these comments on here would be enough to help him "clean up" his image. There is no place in high school sports for this kind of behavior. Yes I agree sometimes people think these actions are "okay" for the fans as long as their guy is winnning.  It is totally unacceptable in mind, but is becoming somewhat of the norm and being accepted. You don't have to be an arrogant ars  to become a champion. Why do we accept these actions because of his age? If he's doing it now it will most of the time only become worse. I do not know him personally, but have heard parents and fans speak of  the incidents.

My son has wrestled Quincy several times the past 4 years. We have beat him and he has beat us. We have been in several state final matches with him in Folkstyle and even finals in Regionals. Quincy is a great wrestler, his parents and his coach's definatley are great also. I believe (from experience) that teenagers have a lot of emotions and the competitive ones have even more. I am not stating that the negative behavior is okay, but remember these are still children and they are simply learning.  They are all great kids, they just sometimes make "bad decisions". 

The rude comments and name calling is an example of "bad decisions". If parents and adults make these "bad decisions", why are we getting upset if children do.  Stating that his parents & Coach don't address these issues, are simply an opinion. I know I address issues with my child every day and Don't annouce it to the world, nor always do it in public. I know the parents personally and I would have to say, that you are speaking out of turn to state they wouldn't address any parenting issue. 

"THOU SHALL NOT JUDGE".... Parenting styles or children. ( my opinion)

My son has wrestled Quincy several times the past 4 years. We have beat him and he has beat us. We have been in several state final matches with him in Folkstyle and even finals in Regionals. Quincy is a great wrestler, his parents and his coach's definatley are great also. I believe (from experience) that teenagers have a lot of emotions and the competitive ones have even more. I am not stating that the negative behavior is okay, but remember these are still children and they are simply learning.  They are all great kids, they just sometimes make "bad decisions". 

The rude comments and name calling is an example of "bad decisions". If parents and adults make these "bad decisions", why are we getting upset if children do.  Stating that his parents & Coach don't address these issues, are simply an opinion. I know I address issues with my child every day and Don't annouce it to the world, nor always do it in public. I know the parents personally and I would have to say, that you are speaking out of turn to state they wouldn't address any parenting issue. 

"THOU SHALL NOT JUDGE".... Parenting styles or children. ( my opinion)

Very well said Kristi!  Good luck "Q" as the real season begins.

I too originally thought that he had broken Columbia City wrestler Austin Egolf's finger at State last season.  I asked Austin yesterday what actually happened, he said it was just dislocated from being ripped backwards.  Anyone at the Bloomington South Regional saw the eye gauging from him as well.  Quincy is a very good wrestler and has one of the best shots at a state title THIS YEAR.  However if getting beat, it seems as if he gets a lil upset. 

I was very down on Quincy last year after the Regional match with Barlow ( and his poor sportsmanship on the award podem). I was even more down on him after the state match. I do however VERY MUCH RESPECT HIS COACH AND STAFF. So I give him the benefit of the doubt. He was a freshman, and young. His brother showed the highest sportsmanship and is really a classy young man.

So until he repeats and pulls another intentional illegal move. I wish him the best. As a wrestler he is a beast and does not need such tactics to win.

I wish him luck. In wrestling and in life.

ive seen that Richey boy wrestle many times...along with other wrestlers and to talk about this boys poor sportsmanship is not right. Many great wrestlers i have seen have had worse sportsmanship than this young man. And if holding up #1 on the podium because he got first is considered poor sportsmanship then i find that very disturbing. Look at the boys who dont fail to shake hands with other coaches...thats a lack of respect and poor sportsmanship, richey doesnt fail to show respect when he is out there.

Good Luck to that boy!

----------

M.C. WISE

ive seen that Richey boy wrestle many times...along with other wrestlers and to talk about this boys poor sportsmanship is not right. Many great wrestlers i have seen have had worse sportsmanship than this young man. And if holding up #1 on the podium because he got first is considered poor sportsmanship then i find that very disturbing. Look at the boys who dont fail to shake hands with other coaches...thats a lack of respect and poor sportsmanship, richey doesnt fail to show respect when he is out there.

Good Luck to that boy!

----------

M.C. WISE

Not only did he not get first he would've been pinned in the cradle had he not tried to rip out Barlow's eye!!  Kind of funny that alot of people seen that except people from Brown County even though it is on tape.  So keep making excuses for him.  Do you think this would be still talked about by so many people if it was not occuring??????  He simply lost that match and it was probably his fist time losing in 3 or 4 years and couldn't handle it.  To come on here and say he won is rediculous especially since he was the only wrestler on his back!!