Merrillville Semi-State Breakdown by Regional

RankingsGuy

I thought it would be interesting to see how each regional has fared at the state's toughest semi-state, Merrillville, over the last 4 years.. here is the breakdown (for those of you unfamiliar with the geographic distribution, I will include those that were State Champs and Runners-Up from each Regional) *Note that the Calumet and LaPorte regionals combined is the area often referred to as "Da Region":

2009: Calumet- 12 State Qualifiers, 8 of those were Medalists

2008: Calumet- 14 State Qualifiers, 9 of those were Medalists

2007: Calumet- 14 State Qualifiers, 8 of those were Medalists

2006: Calumet- 14 State Qualifiers, 7 of those were Medalists

2006-2009 Calumet SQ: 54

2006-2009 Calumet Medalists: 32

2006-2009 Calumet Friday Night at State Winning Percentage: 59.26%

State Champs from Calumet from 2006-2009: 8

(Frankie Porras-Hobart, Brennan Cosgrove-Hobart, Eric Galka-Hobart, Eric McGill-Munster 2x, Jamal Lawrence-Merrillville, Javier Salas-Merrillville, Dexter Larimore-Merrillville)

Runners-Up from Calumet from 2006-2009: 4

(Frankie Porras-Hobart, Eric Galka-Hobart, Brennan Cosgrove-Hobart 2x)

2009: LaPorte- 15 State Qualifiers, 13 of those were Medalists

2008: LaPorte- 15 State Qualifiers, 10 of those were Medalists

2007: LaPorte- 17 State Qualifiers, 12 of those were Medalists

2006: LaPorte- 14 State Qualifiers, 9 of those were Medalists

2006-2009 LaPorte SQ: 61

2006-2009 LaPorte Medalists: 44

2006-2009 LaPorte Friday Night at State Winning Percentage: 72.13%

State Champs from LaPorte from 2006-2009: 10

(Anthony Hawkins-Crown Point, Jason Tsirtsis-Crown Point, Sean McMurray- Portage 2x, Marcus Shrewsbury-Crown Point, Tom Churchard- Valparaiso, Andrew Howe-Hanover Central 3x, Chad Biddle-Portage)

Runners-Up from LaPorte from 2006-2009: 8

(Anthony Quiroz-Chesterton, Eric Roach-Crown Point, Marcus Shrewsbury-Crown Point, Tom Churchard-Valparaiso, Andy St. Germain-Chesterton, Phillip Oudhuis-New Prairie, Derek Traversa-John Glenn, Adam Walters-Portage)

2009: Logansport- 12 State Qualifiers, 4 of those were Medalists

2008: Logansport- 8 State Qualifiers, 2 of those were Medalists

2007: Logansport- 6 State Qualifiers, 1 of those were a Medalist

2006: Logansport- 8 State Qualifiers, 3 of those were Medalists

2006-2009 Logansport SQ: 34

2006-2009 Logansport Medalists: 10

2006-2009 Logansport Friday Night at State Winning Percentage: 29.41%

State Champs from Logansport from 2006-2009: 0

Runners-Up from Logansport from 2006-2009: 1

(Travis Dale-McCutcheon)

2009: Rochester- 17 State Qualifiers, 10 of those were Medalists

2008: Rochester- 19 State Qualifiers, 14 of those were Medalists

2007: Rochester- 19 State Qualifiers, 13 of those were Medalists

2006: Rochester- 20 State Qualifiers, 13 of those were Medalists

2006-2009 Rochester SQ: 75

2006-2009 Rochester Medalists: 50

2006-2009 Rochester Friday Night at State Winning Percentage: 66.67%

State Champs from Rochester from 2006-2009: 10

(Steve Sandefer-Mishawaka 2x, Daniel Young-Culver Academies, Josh Harper-Mishawaka 3x, Ian Hinton-Mishawaka 2x, George Malone-South Bend Riley, Pat Day-Mishawaka)

Runners-Up from Rochester from 2006-2009: 2

(Christian Lentz-Mishawaka, Cory Fornal-Rochester)

On average..

Rochester- 18.75 Qualifers per year, 12.5 Medalists per year, .5 Runners-Up per year, 2.5 State Champs per year

LaPorte- 15.25 Qualifiers per year, 11 Medalists per year, 2 Runners-Up per year, 2.5 State Champs per year

Calumet- 13.5 Qualifiers per year, 8 Medalists per year, 1 Runner-Up per year, 2 State Champs per year

Logansport- 8.5 Qualifiers per year, 2.5 Medalists per year, .25 Runners-Up per year, 0 State Champs per year

As is well documented, Logansport is the weakest, though they have been getting more qualifiers with the emergence of Delphi as a state power, however the State Champs, Runners-Up, and Medalists are pretty much all coming from Calumet, LaPorte, and Rochester.

If we were to go back a few more years say from 2000 forward.. the Calumet Regional may be the toughest due to all of the Griffith State Champs.. Alex Tsirtsis 4x, Angel Escobedo 4x, Andrae Hernandez 2x, Jose Escobedo, Merrillville State Champs.. Dexter Larimore and Wesley English, Lake Central State Champs.. Mike Escobedo 2x and Michael Engberg-Bartley, East Chicago Central State Champ.. Hector Mendez, Highland State Champ..Fernando Martinez, AND, we have to go back to 2000 to find the last time that the Calumet Regional did not have a State Champion  :o AND, maybe even more impressive is that the Calumet Regional has to go back to 1990 to find the last time that they did not have a kid in the State Championship match!  :o

what's most impressive to me is that we could wrestle the state tournament without the  entire Logansport regional competing at all and still on average get 31.5 medalists a year, 3.5 runners-up a year, and 7 champs a year. if all the semi states were split even, they'd each get 28 medalists, 3.5 runners-up, and 3.5 champs per year  :o WOW!

it is amazing what the Merrillville Semi-State is doing with virtually no production whatsoever from the Logansport Regional outside of Delphi... could you imagine how badly that the Merrillville Semi-State would wreck the State Finals every year if the Logansport Regional was turning out the quality of wrestlers that Calumet, LaPorte, and Rochester are?

Since you esenttially married into da region you can now make an excuse to move dis away to be in the hotbed of Indiana Wraslin.

Don't listen to him Y2. My wife went to Bellmont and I didn't move up there, hold to your guns in Garrett!

I'll be the first to admit that the Logan regional is pretty weak.  However, before the Region Rats go breaking their arms patting themselves on the back, keep in mind that the majority of their success is based on the strength of three schools; Mishawaka, Merrillville and Crown Point.  This has been pretty consistent throughout the past decade or so.  Yes Crown Point has not always been a power and at one brief period Griffith was.  Portage was the strongest in the region not too long ago.  My point is, remove Mishawaka and Merrillville, and the Merrilleville sem-istate is  only about average.  I don't think an entire region of the state should be claiming superiority based on the talents of a couple of schools.  Just my opinion.

are you kidding?  we just named 10+ schools in 'da region' with a state champ in recent memory (merrillville, hobart, highland, munster, griffith, lake central, east chicago central, hanover central, portage, valparaiso, crown point, michigan city, calumet, lowell)  and if we included runners-up there'd be even more.. (chesterton, new prairie, john glenn, hammond high, plus several from all of the schools that we just mentioned that had champs). hardly sounds like a case of one school making da region tough.. this year alone merrillville should get a title w/ travis, hobart should get a title w/ porras, portage should get a title w/ mcmurray, crown point should get titles w/ tsirtsis and roach, and lowell will contend for a title w/ cleveland, munster will contend for one w/ surma, lake central will contend for one w/ ayersman, calumet will contend for one w/ clark... the list goes on my friend and the numbers don't lie

First of all your crazy if you think all the kids mentioned will walk away with the title with the exception of repeat winners. As I said, take the three powerehouse schools away and you have an average semi-state.  I am from the region and don't care one way or the other.  Yes Portage and Hobart will get a champion,you can forget about Lowel, Lake Central, Munster, Calumet, Highland or any others, because it aint gonna happen this year.  As I said Take Merr. , Mish. and Crown Point out of the mix it is just average.  I can spout off state champs from other semistates.  You are right about the strength of the region with the three power houses.  I was simply saying, that the "Region" wouldn't be what it is without the three.  Just not sure an entire region can claim the success of a few.  Not to mention, I'm really just playing Devil's advocate on behalf of the poor boys from Logan regional that work hard and admittedly don't compete as well as others at the Merrillville semi-state.  From an outsider looking in, under your rational, the southern part of the state would look to be the wrestling hotbed given the success of Mater Dei over the past 15 years.  Yes that would be a poor representation, because not all southern schools are as strong as Mater Dei.  You are correct about the numbers and I pull for the Region at the state level.  Just think we ought to be careful about casting stones and use a little humility.

Coltfan64,

I have lived in the region my whole life (43 years) less the 4 years in college and I respectfully disagree with you on this, sir. If you think that a couple of schools make up the success of our area, you are sadly mistaken. The statistics/facts don't lie...and I would recommend that you go back as far as the 80's to the present and you'll see the same thing.

Coltfan64,

I have lived in the region my whole life (43 years) less the 4 years in college and I respectfully disagree with you on this, sir. If you think that a couple of schools make up the success of our area, you are sadly mistaken. The statistics/facts don't lie...and I would recommend that you go back as far as the 80's to the present and you'll see the same thing.

Lpd where have been hiding ? Da ole Rat misses your rants about RDP !! What kinda crop are you sending up to Wilaman next year ?

• 3 weeks later...

i've made my predictions on paper at home and i've got the breakdown of state qualifiers as follows..

Rochester Regional: 20

LaPorte Regional: 15

Calumet Regional: 15

Logansport Regional: 6

losing Cheney Dale hurt Logansport as he was one extra lock state qualifier from there.  the numbers will probably be one or two different here or there but i feel that this will be VERY accurate with regards to the breakdown of qualifiers b/c i've cross referenced my predictions with the recent averages of state qualifiers per regional breakdown that is on the 1st page of this thread

coltfan64 is you were a region guy you would know that the three so called powerhouses werent all powerhouses until recently. for exaple crown point never had a state champion until guess when? umm... Last year! So, so much for them being a producer of state champions. also they havent had a runner until since fatman hawkins in 89! As for merrillville maldenado has only been there since 04 and prior to that they didnt have much there. If you really look at the number of state champs you will see it is pretty much even amongst the region schools with a slight edge to portage. im sure rankingsguy can clear that up but my memory says ec 4, hobart 5 or 6, mville 4 or 5, mish, 5 or 6, portage 6 or 7, lc 4 or 5, griffith 10 and guess what cp 3. Now im not downing cp because they will end with maybe more than anybody just saying last year was the first time with a champion.

SpiderMonkey:

Last year was not the first year CP had any state champs.  They had 2 of

them in the 1970's  (Kent Swinehart and John Malle).

The only thing you said right was saying Fatman Hawkins.  They also had

at least 2 other runner-ups  (Dan Bogash- 135 pounder, and Charlie Smith Heavyweight

I believe both in the 80's.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.