How is there not a story about this?!?!

Bash513

In the region, where we had multiple finalists and champions in what is arguably the most difficult tournament in the state during the regular season, we get nothing more than a box score for placers from 1st-4th.  This is a travesty, a sham, and a mockery ...it's a travishamockery!

What did the tournament director do to promote this event with the local media? 

I'm not sure it is the tournament director's job to promote the event for the region area newspapers.  I am sure the sports writers in the region were aware that Munster, Merrillville, Chesterton, Calumet, Lake Central, and others from their coverage area were at this event.  My guess is that the editors did not want to foot the bill of having one of their writers attend and cover this event.

R u for real? It is the 32nd time they have had this tourny it is year in and year out one of the toughest if not the toughest tourny in the state With local schools Calumet chesterton Hobart Lake Central Lowell Merrillville Munster Valpo and border teams Michigan city and Laporte. Are you saying we should email the times or the 'post anytime there is going to be a good wrestling match?

I think notifying the papers would be a good idea.  With the way newspapers are these days, there just isn't as much money.  I think the local papers should try something innovative with high school sports and pay spectators a small amount of money to cover certain events that the papers can no longer cover themselves.  All they would have to do is have someone edit the write-ups.  If there is no room in the paper version they could at least post the stories online.  I realize this is way more complicated then I am making it seem, but I am just brainstorming here. 

103 -- Jarred Brooks (War) dec. Zac Stevens (Mer) 10-5. 112 -- Paul Beck (Mish) dec. Kyle Ayersman (LC) 2-1. 119 -- Branden Nelsen (LN) dec. Alex Gregory (Penn) 1-0. 125 -- Anthony Napules (Mer) dec. Zack Thornton (Ches) 4-0. 130 -- Nick Schrader (Mish) dec. Mike Clark (Cal) 8-7. 135 -- Jeremy Hill (Jim) dec. Matt Guerra (Mish) 6-4. 140 -- Frankie Porras (Hob) dec. Matt Milton (CG) 11-4.  145 -- Alex Surma (Mun) dec. Dalton Sparks (Peru) 7-0. 152 -- Ryan Stahl (Mish) dec. Jimmy Larowe (EN) 7-1. 160 -- Anthony Quiroz (Ches) dec. Zack Corpe (Mem) 8-7. 171 -- Drake Stein (Prin) pinned Andy Wiseman (Penn) 3:46. 189 -- Travis Thatcher (Bel) dec. Nathan Fowler (Cal) 5-2. 215 -- Nate Cleveland (Low) dec. Christian Lentz (Mish) 4-2. Hwt -- James Travis (Mer) dec. Travis Thomas (Mish) 3-0.

Again, this is one of the touhest tourneys in the state and our wrestlers performed very well.  They deserve at least a 500 word write up

Here at www.broadcastsport.net we can't even get the local South Bend paper to mention that we broadcast these events with LIVE VIDEO via the Internet because they don't believe that webcasting is real broadcasting.  The Goshen paper is the same way, but Bill Beck with the Elkhart Truth at least will include the fact that we are broadcasting the events, but usually without mentioning 'Video'.  It was mentioned on the first day of the Al Smith Invite that the newspaper skipped this event which had a couple of thousand in the audience to cover a girl's basketball tourney with maybe 12 in the audience.

Probably letters to the editor or online comments that other readers will read would prod the newspapers into action.  Or even more effective would be letters written to the major advertisers in those newspapers.  Of course if Wrestling folks would advertise in those same newspapers they would be more inclined to include wrestling stories.

Have you ever tried sending scoring summarys and written highlights to your local newspaper.  It is expensive to send a reporter to each and every event, but we as media outlets, even IndianaMat, really struggle just getting results from tournament or game hosts to publish.

In such a cut-throat industry they are scared-to-death of competition.  However, it's because of they're disregard for certain aspects of sports that websites such as IndianaMat have been started.  If the newspapers don't wake up and embrace the current technology, before long there will not be any print media, only electronic.

I have continued to argue about this very topic with the South Bend Tribune for the past five years. They continue to have a ton of coverage on the holiday basketball tournaments in the area (which I am fine with) as long as they cover wrestling with the same enthusiasm. When you look at the number of kids that particiapte in this tournament from the area every year it is frustrating that there isn't more done to cover this event. Good thing for this message board and broadcastsport.

On a positive note Steve Krah from the Elkhart Truth is by far the best wrestling reporter in the northern part of the state that I know about.  He gets interview with coaches, and wrestlers, does excellent season previews and covers major tourney like none other.

South Bend Tribune has two things they look for in sports.  PENN and NOTRE DAME.  As you can see in the paper today Penn won a Holiday Tourney in basketball and it had to share the front with one of the biggest wrestling tournaments in the state.  Tim Cleason (Hope I spelled it right)  does a nice job covering the local wrestling scene in Northern Indiana.  Maybe the papers North West (Region) could just use his articles like other papers do for other sports.  He could probaly use the money.

As far as the region newspapers (and specifically the Times), travel distance is not even a valid argument for them to make for their absolute lack of coverage. Today's paper of theirs feature MULTIPLE articles on a Munster HS basketball game that took place in New Castle (much farther drive than Mishawaka from the region). Mind you too, that they traveled this great distance to cover just ONE team from the region when multiple schools from the region such as the teams from Merrillville, Hobart, Chesterton, Calumet, Lake Central, Munster, Valparaiso, and Lowell were all competing in the Al Smith invitational. After looking at things this way, I don't want to hear any excuses about the drive being too far to cover this outstanding tournament!

I agree that the coverage we have gotten from The Times is very bad.  I actually e-mailed the sports editor, which I believe is Jim Peters, about this last year.  I inquired about the lack of coverage.  He responded rather quickly with an explanation as to the lack of coverage.  He basically told me with budget cuts that everyone is feeling in this down economy, the lack of the staff to cover the events is what leads to the result we have seen.  This was last year, so I suppose it has gotten even worse for them this year.  He also mentioned that unfortunately with basketball being the main draw, there is probably no relief in sight as the resources will continue to head in that direction.  So I guess maybe we , the wrestling community, should bombard the sports editor's e-mail box, letting them know that maybe they should consider finding the resources to cover our events or risk losing some subscribers.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.