Mater Dei Holiday Classic

Guest Runt

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Far as I remember Brandt from Avon lost 171 to hitchings 5-0. 140 Blaine Hall Avon lost 7-2 to Caleb Ervin. 135 Matt Rassback lost 4-3 to Cole vanhorn. Hope that helps

There was alot of great wrestling at this tournament today. Mater Dei always finds ways to get thier team going. They were behind and then started at 103 pinning one match after another in semi-finals. They have great support and huge crowd. The tournament was very nice.

I will give my thoughts on Mater Dei.

First off Mater Dei was down by some 30 points at one time.  Then came roaring back with like 6 wins in a row, crowd was loving it.  Kentucky had a great showing.  Franklin had some bad tempers.  

103- lil 8th grader ervin amazing

112-HUGE upset Wedding looked good and shocked the whole crowd.  Wedding 10 Kief 4    almost pinned Kief but saved by the bell

119- Kentucky Brabbury was unchallenged he is defending KY state champ

125-M.D. Henderson won here and had a close match in the finals against franklin

130-Schofield beats Witt in the semis then beats Tim Martin 14-4 in the finals.  tough weight class,

1 Schofield Franklin

2 Tim Martin N.Albany

3 Quin Shroeder MD

4 B. Hitching KY  got 8th place in KY last year

5 K. Thomas KY

6 A. Witt   FL Central                      

135-Rassbach beat Weinzy 11-3 in the semi's, Van Horn pinned Issac Thomas KY in semis...Van Horn wins 4-3 finals

I. Thomas got 2nd in KY last year at 140

140- C. Ervin defending state champ beats Avon's Hall 7-2

145-John Sims wins 5-3 ot to Moberly Fl. C. giving him his first loss.  Sims didnt look good

152- G. Olhman Ky got 2nd at 145 last year dominates the field

160- Another tough weight class Fuderich beats Golemsbki in a close match 3-1.   J. Lampe KY (state placer 4th last year) beats M.D. Brandestein 7-2 closer than the score.  M.D. beats Providence 2-1 for 3rd good match.  Lampe beats Fuderich 5-2 in the finals.  

171-  Defending KY state champ B. Hitchings beats Brandt 5-0 in the finals.  Brandt vs. Boots was a helluva match in the semi's.  

Left after this match

I have never before seen Franklin wrestlers lose composure like they did at this tourney.  A knee to the head of an opposing wrestler, thrown head gear by two wrestlers(one for a team point), and finally a wrestler disqualified for telling the ref he was a f---ing idiot, not once, not twice, but three times, costing his team all the points he had acumulated.  Someone needs to take control before this gets really out of hand.

I have never before seen Franklin wrestlers lose composure like they did at this tourney.  A knee to the head of an opposing wrestler, thrown head gear by two wrestlers(one for a team point), and finally a wrestler disqualified for telling the ref he was a f---ing idiot, not once, not twice, but three times, costing his team all the points he had acumulated.  Someone needs to take control before this gets really out of hand.

Yeah I agree, I thought the knee to the head should have been a DQ  They are a great team and have great coaches i dont know what happened yesterday

You can say all you want about the Franklin wrestlers yes the 215 deservered what he got. The 112 did nothing wrong yes he threw his headgear but it wasnt at anybody he was very unhappy with the way he wrestled. As for the knee to the face it was an accident that kid is the nicest kid in the world. Maybe all this happened because the refs didnt reallly seem to like franklin all that much (never seem to down there.) For an example 171 semi final consolation round bass vs. boots bass gets 2 stalling calls for attempting to shoot on boots and the REF sends the match into overtime and bass loses. Or how about the 152 pound quartorfinals match hessman vs. MD kid both shoot at the same time hit heads hessman falls on him for a takedown (and the SAME REf that screwed our 171) says that the MD kid called for injury time which he clearly didnt and hessman loses in overtime. Just saying MD got every single call they wanted. Id like to see MD go to the traicofe none of those would be called!

I have been to alot of wrestling tournaments for many years and have never seen officials so one sided for mater dei, it was the worst officiating i have ever witnessed in my life. They took i know of 4 matches from kids that deserved to win that lost because of awful calls 

I have been to alot of wrestling tournaments for many years and have never seen officials so one sided for mater dei, it was the worst officiating i have ever witnessed in my life. They took i know of 4 matches from kids that deserved to win that lost because of awful calls 

OMG are you serious! You should probably try to keep the match out of the refs hands and controll the match when it comes down to one point your asking the ref to make a call! Quit complaining and wrestle harder.

Every tournament anywhere you go someone is going to blame the refs, no matter what sport.  Of course some bad calls are made its part of it. 

I watched every Mater Dei match and didnt notice the bad bad reffing, except the 171 match Boots/Bass.

M.Dei seems to be down this year, As a team and the Classic.  Used to in the semifinals, you would have 4 state/semi state caliber guys going at it. 

M. Dei has had a monkey on their back for years, they are the best and people hate on them for it.  Just like people say Mikey Jordan nevers gets fouls called on him cuzz hes the best.  Not True

You can say all you want about the Franklin wrestlers yes the 215 deservered what he got. The 112 did nothing wrong yes he threw his headgear but it wasnt at anybody he was very unhappy with the way he wrestled. As for the knee to the face it was an accident that kid is the nicest kid in the world. Maybe all this happened because the refs didnt reallly seem to like franklin all that much (never seem to down there.) For an example 171 semi final consolation round bass vs. boots bass gets 2 stalling calls for attempting to shoot on boots and the REF sends the match into overtime and bass loses. Or how about the 152 pound quartorfinals match hessman vs. MD kid both shoot at the same time hit heads hessman falls on him for a takedown (and the SAME REf that screwed our 171) says that the MD kid called for injury time which he clearly didnt and hessman loses in overtime. Just saying MD got every single call they wanted. Id like to see MD go to the traicofe none of those would be called!

Yeah I understand you get mad when you lose and do stuff you regret but when 4 or 5 guys are doing it, stuff like that stands out

I really like Franklins they have great coaches and go out and find great competition, Traicoff and M. Dei.  

Im sure M. Dei would love to go to the Tracoff

The officiating was really bad im sry I love this tournament. I wrestled in it 4 years and have been a spectator for more than that and the officiating was the worst I have ever seen the stalling calls ridiculous  the one that sticks out in my mind. Was the 125 final the kid from franklin got called for stalling twice down by 2 and he had legs in and the mater dei kid just layed on the mat and tried nothing at all. That was unreal as well as the 171 match with bass and boots

Two of the officials were from Evansville, one from about an hour out, and the other two from nw Indiana.  Three of them have officiated the state finals.  To blame losses on the officiating is absurd.  You'd have a hard time finding 5 more honest, fair, and capable officials.  There are always going to be calls that people don't agree with.  There were calls I didn't agree with but that doesn't make them bad calls.  And, yes, I was there, and definitely closer to matside than most of the people making these comments.  I've worn the striped shirt and you know going in that not everyone is going to be happy.  Officiating in any sport is probably the only job where people expect you to start out perfect and get better.  As a coach, I tried to remember one thing before I ever argued a call.  If the positions were reversed and it was my wrestler getting or not getting the call, would I agree with it?

Yeah I understand you get mad when you lose and do stuff you regret but when 4 or 5 guys are doing it, stuff like that stands out

I really like Franklins they have great coaches and go out and find great competition, Traicoff and M. Dei.  

Im sure M. Dei would love to go to the Tracoff

Navy80,  I couldn't agree more!  Bad sportsmanship is unacceptable.  Wrestling is a sport were controlling your emotions comes into play and it doesn't sound like Kief did so hot in this catagory. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.