Merrillville v. Yorktown?

RegionRage

Maybe they didn't want to show everybody their team till sectionals or to keep their seniors unbeaten. ::)

IMO Yorktown came into that match over confident and possibly overrated and it looked as though they were looking past a solid Clay team which proved to be a huge mistake.  Good job Clay

Has it occurred to anybody yet that Clay is pretty darn good?

This whole thread has been, "Oh, Yorktown, Yorktown, Yorktown..."

Fine, Yorktown ... but apparently the only reason any ranked team ever loses is because they wrestle a couple JV kids?  Has the possibility struck any of you "experts" yet that Clay might be very good as well, and just flat out beat them?

If Yorktown is so strong - and nobody is saying they are not - don't you think that they should have beaten Clay with a couple JV kids, if the Colonials are so unworthy?

Look people, Clay is like 15-1 in dual meets, and their only loss is to Merrillville.  The fact that nobody has been paying attention -- pollsters and all you wrestling "experts" included -- doesn't change anything. Clay is a very good team that hasn't been getting the attention they deserve.

Yorktown is strong and will do very well, but instead of whining about Yorktown, maybe people should start paying more attention to Clay?

Upset?  Yes.  Greatest of the last 10 years?  No.  Yorktown is a good program and may have their best team ever; but because their own notoriety isn't solidified yet, a very solid team upsetting them can't carry the magnitude of some upsets that happened during the state tournament series against teams with full-season credentials and slightly more Top 10 history.

There are a couple of factors that I think make us think this was a bigger upset than it really was.  First, there's a lot of parity in Indiana right now--maybe more than there ever has been.  There's very little separating #5 from #25.  This was not true 10 or 12 years ago.

Dane, I also think Bellmont's loss by such a significant margin caused you to overvalue Yorktown in your rankings.  Everything went right for Yorktown in that match and everything went right for Clay in beating Yorktown.  Yorktown will prove to be a Top 10 team this year, but they're probably not as strong as one match caused your Brave emotions to believe they are.

Has it occurred to anybody yet that Clay is pretty darn good?

This whole thread has been, "Oh, Yorktown, Yorktown, Yorktown..."

Fine, Yorktown ... but apparently the only reason any ranked team ever loses is because they wrestle a couple JV kids?  Has the possibility struck any of you "experts" yet that Clay might be very good as well, and just flat out beat them?

If Yorktown is so strong - and nobody is saying they are not - don't you think that they should have beaten Clay with a couple JV kids, if the Colonials are so unworthy?

Look people, Clay is like 15-1 in dual meets, and their only loss is to Merrillville.  The fact that nobody has been paying attention -- pollsters and all you wrestling "experts" included -- doesn't change anything. Clay is a very good team that hasn't been getting the attention they deserve.

Yorktown is strong and will do very well, but instead of whining about Yorktown, maybe people should start paying more attention to Clay?

Yes is has occurred to me that Clay has a solid team , but they did only beat a very weak Riley team by 15 points . They then beat the #4 ranked team in the state . This tells me that Clay might be better than people think and that Yorktown is way overanked.

SB Clay beating Yorktown  isn't close to the upset of Chesterton beating Crown Point in the Team state regional 3years ago

I for one thought that Chesterton had the stronger team that year. If you go back and look at the match ups you to will probably see that it was no upset. Crowm point had beaten us in a dual by 3 or 4 points earlier that year when Chesterton was missing St Germain. Also the Conference tourney was a 3 way battle til the final round.

Merriville was very impressive not only their technique but also their intensity and attitude.  They have a great team with great coaches.  We (Clay) try to get in as many tournaments in the "region" as we can to prepare for the physical style of wrestling we will see in the semi-state.  Merriville definitely taught us some lessons on physical styles of wrestling.

MAJAM152:

I think you are wrong that CP onlybeat Chesterton by 3 0r 4 points

during our conference dual.  I couldn't find my record on it but I will

try to get the score from our archives.  If that had been true I wouldn't have

went to the team state match with the expectation of us winning in a cakewalk.

If you are who I think you are you are too old to remember the score also.

Congrads to you Coach Hartman- representing the NIC and South Bend with that big win.  I know we had a good battle two Thursdays ago, eventhough someone out there thinks that Riley is a "weak" team.  Clay is a solid team from top to bottom.

Does anyone else think that this counts as one of the biggest dual meet upsets in the entire state over the last ten years?

I do!  Holy crap, I just heard about this after practice.  They are in a tough conference.  Not to mention the road they must take to state!  Can't wait to see how the year plays out for this team.

Did someone call SB Riley weak?!  I have seen Clay in person this season and they will make you pay for mistakes.  This is a very opportunistic team that is very confident and comfortable waiting for the right moment to end a match, even if it means falling behind in the score.  They are dangerous.  Coach Hartman would be happy to lineup against anyone to prove it, I'm sure.

Meanwhile, take another look at this conference they belong to: Mishawaka, Penn, SB Riley, SB Clay, and the others...  Not to shabby!

MAJAM152:

I think you are wrong that CP onlybeat Chesterton by 3 0r 4 points

during our conference dual.  I couldn't find my record on it but I will

try to get the score from our archives.  If that had been true I wouldn't have

went to the team state match with the expectation of us winning in a cakewalk.

If you are who I think you are you are too old to remember the score also.

Your right I might not remember the exact score but I do remember telling myself if St. Germain was there Cesterton wins. Also I think I  remember, you can ceck your archives but chesterton had 8 guys place higher than Crown point at the conference tourney.

Whats with the OLD wisecrack?

I'm tried of hearing everyone talk about JV guys this and JV guys that.

If they wrestled on that day for the varsity squad then they are considered varsity.

IF YORKTOWN wrestled "jv" guys, then that was their choice.  They weren't forced to wrestle those guys against Clay.  IF CLAY wrestled "jv" gusy, that was their decision. 

Therefore, CLAY beat Yorktown and that is that. 

I will say that Merriville does look and sound tough this year.  We'll see what kind of run they can make during the tourney.

Merrillville's depth is a better way of describing their strength.  I was impressed that day to see that it took two weigh-in sheets to list all of their kids....and all of those kids proceeded to throttle the competition.  Coach M is sitting pretty right now.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.