How do we improve wrestling in our state?

kfcfanatic

Because I am done with manvswild1 and his antics and I would like a decent discussion on this board that does not involve class wrestling (it?s kind of like politics, most democrats will argue for hours and hours with republicans and vice versa, getting nowhere.  I believe class would help us, but I am not offended if you disagree with me, nor do I really care either way.  Again, like politics, whatever Washington says, we have to do.  Whatever the IHSAA says, we have to do.  I just like to go with the flow.)

1. Believe in our wrestling family.

I think too many times, we all get so caught up in making better wrestlers that we forget about the fun part of wrestling.  What other sport is there out there that you have friends who you get to see every weekend that may live 4 hours away from you?  Enjoy getting to know people and making connections in our state.

2. Stay positive with kids.

Don?t get me wrong, sometimes kids need a good butt chewing in the practice room if they are slacking, but no kid ever went out on the mat with the intention of losing a match.  Stay positive in the corner with a kid, and after the match.  Mistakes that are made in a match may lead to a loss or a team loss, but those things can be fixed in the practice room.  The second period of a match is no time to give up on a kid, there is always a chance to climb back into a match.

3. Build up wrestling in your community.

Write into the paper.  Hang up flyers.  Celebrate accomplishments, whether big or small.  Show people how awesome our sport is outside of the victories, not just inside of them.

4. Develop solid technique.

Teach kids the basics.  Stress the basics.  They are the things that win matches.  Sure a spladle or a side headlock are good to know and have in your tool bag, but I?ve seen a lot more kids lose a match trying one of those things than winning with a solid high crotch or single leg.

5. Compete with the belief that you will win every match you step out to wrestle.

But if you get beat, shake the other persons hand and walk off with your head up.  Everything can be fixed in the practice room. 

Just my thoughts.

After watching the middle school national duals this weekend I came away with some general impressions that apply to number 4.

1.  We mat wrestle better or at least equal with the best middle schoolers from Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Nebraska and Oregon.

2.  Where we often stuggled I felt was on our feet against the better teams from Illinois, Ohio and the one Michigan team.

3.  Don't get me wrong, Indiana had some kids that were stellar on their feet but on the whole, I thought those other states better teams were better than Indiana on their feet.

AJ and Coach Pendoski both post on here and may disagree but our technique on our feet looks like an area that could be improved at the youth level

I would agree with Karl Hungus in that improving neutral wrestling will improve your overall wrestling. My son attended a camp by Pat Smith(formerly of Oklahoma State) in which he said the most important thing in wrestling is to be good at the Neutral position. The order that wrestling should be drilled and practiced is that neutral  should get the most time followed by coming off the bottom with the least important of the three being the top position.

One thing that jumps out to me is the promotion of the sport.  Too many coaches are still secretive about the results of their meets and their line-ups.  Many coaches(and I am guilty of it sometimes) do not send in scores and highlights to the local newspapers, but expect great coverage.  Every time I have sent information to the newspaper it has been printed, its just about sending the information in.  If people in the community see that their school is winning a lot in ANY sport they will start going to see them perform.  If they cannot come, they will still compliment the team members and coaches when they see them around.  I know many times people that don't go to meets have complimented me on the season we are having. 

Also to me it seems at the middle school and youth level we are very competitive with the top wrestling states.  Just as in the past weekend our middle schoolers did very well against some of the top teams from wrestling powerhouse states.  I don't see as much improvement in the kids after middle school as other states and there are a ton of variables that affect this. 

I would agree with Karl Hungus in that improving neutral wrestling will improve your overall wrestling. My son attended a camp by Pat Smith(formerly of Oklahoma State) in which he said the most important thing in wrestling is to be good at the Neutral position. The order that wrestling should be drilled and practiced is that neutral  should get the most time followed by coming off the bottom with the least important of the three being the top position.

isnt that some of our guys problem? that they takedown and cut takedown and cut all the time and dont get enough live match wrestling on the mat? i know i heard something like that on here before and i had that problem when i wrestled

isnt that some of our guys problem? that they takedown and cut takedown and cut all the time and dont get enough live match wrestling on the mat? i know i heard something like that on here before and i had that problem when i wrestled

I have heard that also in the past but after watching 30 of our middle schoolers this weekend, I think we have some catching up to do on our feet. 

In many matches the Indiana boys did quite well after the initial onslaught of takedowns but it is tough to win matches when you are down 8-3 after the first period.

It seems to me that the discussion here centers on the ability to secure take downs as the over riding factor that determines a wrestlers ability. I whole heartedly agree with this. Give me a kid with 1-2 strong takedowns with a couple of set ups for it over a head locker most any day. If you have trouble on your feet, it is going to make it very difficult to get the win.

I would also say that we are just now starting to see results from alot of the so called wrestling schools. IE CIA, Team Champion, and Red Cobra. I know that they have had Overtime up north for a long time. If you take a look at the High school placers this year, I would be suprised if most of the placers and champions came out of one of these type of rooms. I think that if you can afford it, rooms like this are one of, if not the best avenue for developing a quality take down. These rooms offer great coaching, and all of them have top flight workout partners. I realize that not everyone can afford to send their kids to a place like these, but if you can, it is well worth the time and cost.

If you cannot afford to send your kids to one of these places, there are always open rooms like the one at LN that attracts a ton of quality wrestlers from all over the state. While it may not be as structured as the schools, these rooms do offer you a chance to go up against some of  best that Indiana has to offer.

Basically it comes down to not just mat time, but quality mat time with people that are going to push you. I dont care if you are from a large mega school, or a small school, get your kids in some form of extra instruction. 

After watching the middle school national duals this weekend I came away with some general impressions that apply to number 4.

1.  We mat wrestle better or at least equal with the best middle schoolers from Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Nebraska and Oregon.

2.  Where we often stuggled I felt was on our feet against the better teams from Illinois, Ohio and the one Michigan team.

3.  Don't get me wrong, Indiana had some kids that were stellar on their feet but on the whole, I thought those other states better teams were better than Indiana on their feet.

AJ and Coach Pendoski both post on here and may disagree but our technique on our feet looks like an area that could be improved at the youth level

I agree with your statements.  I thought both teams wrestled exremely well over the weekend.  I felt we held our own while wrestling on the mat, but we were usually a little overmatched on our feet. 

Judging by the number of AA's we have had at the various tournament this past week, I would say that we are doing alot right in the state to make sure our wrestling is at the top. Yes we can always improve, but it looks like we are going to end up with 15 or so AA's with a few champions . Congrats to all the kids from Indiana for representing this state quite well.

One of da biggest down fall is getting qualified coaches. School systems need to open up postions so lay coaches can have a chance. Not just someone who is out to make a couple of extra bucks.

If you look at da catholic school in Chicago. A buddy of mine kids went to Joliet Catholic and played football. Da majority of da coached where x- d1 players and most played ball in high school there. If you know anything about Joliet Catholic da have one a few Illinois tittles.

Same thing with wrestling in da catholic schools.  We have a great club structure in Indiana whit strong partcipation. So we have allot of good things going In Indiana / but to get better or da next level coaching is where its at.

One of da biggest down fall is getting qualified coaches. School systems need to open up postions so lay coaches can have a chance. Not just someone who is out to make a couple of extra bucks.

If you look at da catholic school in Chicago. A buddy of mine kids went to Joliet Catholic and played football. Da majority of da coached where x- d1 players and most played ball in high school there. If you know anything about Joliet Catholic da have one a few Illinois tittles.

Same thing with wrestling in da catholic schools.  We have a great club structure in Indiana whit strong partcipation. So we have allot of good things going In Indiana / but to get better or da next level coaching is where its at.

Totally agree. School system requirements for coaches is a major factor in public schools in all sports.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.