cathedral with middle fingers on podium...

sneaker

as a former wrestler and cathedral grad i found it disgusting and embarrassing that state runner up Brandon Wright, state runner up John Grey and 5th placer Calvin Sullivan showed their middle fingers on their cardboards while on the podium. my feelings are such that they have disgraced Cathedral high school and so far nothing has been done about it. if we had done that there had better of been a doctor in the house as our parents and coaches wouldnt have stood for it and we would have been expelled. i have seen the photos and there are no excuses for this disrespectful performance. i am embarrassed for MYSELF, CATHEDRAL and feel sorry for those with those photos. we worked hard building up that program and now this stuff is happening. i believe the coaches, athletic director and principal and dean of students should look into this situation. its an Embarrassement and shows absolutley no class.it was great that three made it to the finals but Wright got beat by someone hes thumped several times, the next was  senior Grey getting tec falled by a freshman and the third one Mcginley  got stuck winning 7-4 with 23 seconds left. will this be addressed or will it be swept under the rug like so many other cathedral athletic problems, like the big fight between the mcginleys at the cathedral invitational. outrageous language and fist flying yet nothing happened. what ever happened to disicipline?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me first state that I am in no way a biased individual that is "anti-cathedral." Not to be "just another person downing Cathedral," but, my biggest beef with Cathedral at state was their use of injury time. It seemed that on several occasions a Cathedral wrestler used injury time to simply take a breather! The official would grant injury time, the wrestler would display no signs of pain at all, and simply sit there on their butt resting. Did anyone else see this? I am not going to point out individual wrestlers, nor am I asking anyone else to do so. I believe as adults, we should all be able to refrane from throwing TEENAGERS under the bus.

The previously discussed criticism is definitely one of a higher degree of importance. I just wanted to throw out an observation that I had made.

i don't want to be the debbie downer here...but the fall happened at the 5:31 mark...so there was more than 23 seconds left!  ;D

and at the time of the fall he was only up 7-6!

Cadet, when i read the original post i woulda bet every penny to my name that you were gonna be the one to correct him on the score at the time of the fall hahaha  ;D I woulda made me some loot!

i don't want to be the debbie downer here...but the fall happened at the 5:31 mark...so there was more than 23 seconds left!  ;D

Cadet, when i read the original post i woulda bet every penny to my name that you were gonna be the one to correct him on the score at the time of the fall hahaha  ;D I woulda made me some loot!

I feel like I would be letting YOU down if I didn't make the correction. Was I correct in my assumption?

I feel like I would be letting YOU down if I didn't make the correction. Was I correct in my assumption?

Very much so....It just wouldnt feel the same coming from someone else  ;D hahaha

Let me first state that I am in no way a biased individual that is "anti-cathedral." Not to be "just another person downing Cathedral," but, my biggest beef with Cathedral at state was their use of injury time. It seemed that on several occasions a Cathedral wrestler used injury time to simply take a breather! The official would grant injury time, the wrestler would display no signs of pain at all, and simply sit there on their butt resting. Did anyone else see this? I am not going to point out individual wrestlers, nor am I asking anyone else to do so. I believe as adults, we should all be able to refrane from throwing TEENAGERS under the bus.

The previously discussed criticism is definitely one of a higher degree of importance. I just wanted to throw out an observation that I had made.

You are not the only one who noticed the injury time, I was with a couple of Cathedral fans and it was an ongoing joke about when and how much injury time they had left.

LEAVE EM ALONE...ALOT OF PEOPLE USE INJURY TIME AND ABOUT THE FINGERS......I LIKE IT...DISRESPECTEM ...SHOW NO RESPECT

That is pretty sad you are taught to respect your'e opponet at all levels

Oh boo freaking hoo. I doubt you're a former Cathedral wrestler. Well, then again, maybe you are. Maybe you were one of those kids who weren't good enough to make the varsity team and now you're just bitter. The whole finger thing has been address in 3 different threads. Can we put that to rest? It's currently be discussed in the "MATCH OF THE YEAR" thread, so you can go there for info about why it's pointless to bring that up. As far as all the other stuff, I'm pretty sure it's none of your business how it was all handled.

I looked at the pictures and in Brandon Wright's picture it does not look like he is intending to flip anyone off. It seems he is more upset at himself for not winning and is still disappointed on the podium. But the topic does need to be dropped. Lot of great matches at state!

Its part of wrestling you either love or hate the sport , stalling ,injury time riding the clock down and if the official let them do it then you should back off someday your child might wrestle or probaly is I hope you teach them all the right rules of wrestling !

I do have to say that fight was pretty sick. From my point of view it looked like one of the kids got a cheap shot off to the back of the others head while they were walking into the locker room. Didn't think they'd be coming back to wrestle.

i really wanna respond AGAINST cathedral here as i will proudly say that i despise cathedral in all sports not just wrestling(any of the volleyball fans can attest to that)...but they are not doing anything wrong in my opinion if something so subtle can bother you man, that's sad...

also the injury time thing, again they are not breaking a rule you do not need to prove you are hurt, its a broken system but it has to be implemented to ensure safety, if someone wants to take advantage they can, sure you can hope karma doesn't bite you in the butt, but you wont get penalised.

ps. cathedral tries so hard to be NOTRE DAME

I'm gonna have to say boo to Cathedral on this one.... personally I have nothing against them but part of High school competition is learning to win and LOSE with class. These cathedral wrestlers need to learn this. However, that being said brining it up only forces the issue to linger and i think it is time for this subject to die, it was bad, but not bad enough for this topic to survive this long.

Fabio you are right and wrong in your post. One yes Cathedral really isn't doing anything wrong but everyone loves to hate on them. Two you are confusing hate with jealousy. Three Cathedral was the Fighting Irish before Notre Dame was.

This was posted on another thread by mickswife.

[glow=red,2,300]No kidding. All of the following (non-Cathedral kids) are holding the posters with 1 finger and/or thumb - so no, "Everyone else" does not have their whole hand on the board:

4th, 5th and 8th place finishes in picture #4

1st place finisher in photo #13

2nd and 6th place finishers (and Steven came darn close to letting one of his fingers slip off - oh no!) in photo #20

5th place finisher in photo #29

6th place finisher in photo #32

4th place finisher in photo #36

2nd place finisher in photo #38

3rd place finisher in photo #39

7th place finisher in photo #42

So can you put this to rest already? It was not some conspiracy. If you don't think these kids have the utmost respect for the sport of wrestling as to not do something so disrespectful, then you are crazy. These kids have worked hard all their lives in this sport, and I'd guess they stand up there with a mixture of pride and disappointment, but I'm guessing disrespect was not on their minds. I can only speculate though, because I've never stood in their shoes. Maybe someone else can enlighten me though.[/glow]

im jealous that they copy ND? No i really doubt that....i dont hate them  for that i hate them for there blatent use of "no strict boundries" and the cockiness of their fans, they are entitled to it but i dont have to like it :) I respect them just hate them, much unlike the cubs i just hate them and have no respect.