college signings?

crab ride 1

I can tell you for a fact that if you take calculus, Physics, and the like and only get C's in them, those classes do not help. We have had this conversation with Ball State already this year. They look at total GPA, and Class rank. A kid that takes those courses and gets C's in them will not have as good a GPA as a kid that takes algebra I and II and gets A's or B's in them. The kid that takes algebra will get in over the kid that takes calculus.

Also, if you dont go D1, or D2, you dont get athletic scholarships. And depending on the school, I wont say that none wont bend the rules, but most wont. Atleast not for a non-revenue producing sport like wrestling. If you are a star football, or round ball player I am sure it happens.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warrendad, colleges most certainly look at the level of classes you take in high school and take that into account when admitting students.  A kid that takes advanced classes such as calculus, physics, ap english and has a 3.5 gpa will get in over a kid who takes algebra II, and a bunch of screw off senior classes and has a 3.7.  I actually know a few kids in my senior class who got waitlisted at a college because the difficulty of their classes they took in the first semester of their senior year wasn't at the standards of what they were looking for, so they wanted to see the classes they would be taking in the second semester before making their decision.  And on a slightly different note, you cannot tell me that the admissions doesn't admit someone they may not originally have admitted if that person wasn't and athlete who would be on scholarship

I've done scholarships for a private college, and they certainly do look at both grades AND difficulty of classes. That's what makes it different than a public school. If you take all easy classes and get A's and B's you'll most likely get in to a public college easier than private, they tend to look at total work ethic, ***NO NO NO***ion, and grades.

Warrendad, colleges most certainly look at the level of classes you take in high school and take that into account when admitting students.  A kid that takes advanced classes such as calculus, physics, ap english and has a 3.5 gpa will get in over a kid who takes algebra II, and a bunch of screw off senior classes and has a 3.7.  I actually know a few kids in my senior class who got waitlisted at a college because the difficulty of their classes they took in the first semester of their senior year wasn't at the standards of what they were looking for, so they wanted to see the classes they would be taking in the second semester before making their decision.  And on a slightly different note, you cannot tell me that the admissions doesn't admit someone they may not originally have admitted if that person wasn't and athlete who would be on scholarship

I've done scholarships for a private college, and they certainly do look at both grades AND difficulty of classes. That's what makes it different than a public school. If you take all easy classes and get A's and B's you'll most likely get in to a public college easier than private, they tend to look at total work ethic, ***NO NO NO***ion, and grades.

I would agree with the statement about private schools. our son has been accepted to a few private schools already that have tougher requirements then most of the state schools based on his test scores, and dificulty of classes. However if you are looking at state schools, they (well, Ball State and IU) are just looking at class rank, and GPA.

Just twenty years ago, IU was lucky to have 2-3 state champs on its roster.  The national outlook seems to want more quality, yet there are fewer and fewer colleges with wrestling.  Be elite or die.

The more kids that get recognition, the better exposure they will have to college coaches. 

This is a direct quote from an email of a Top 10 DI coach in response to class wrestling

although I would prefer that each state only have one state champion, it does help the kids if they can say they are a state champ. I look much more closely at videos from kids from multiple state championships but I would not even consider many of these kids if they did not place in the state tournament.

I would agree with the statement about private schools. our son has been accepted to a few private schools already that have tougher requirements then most of the state schools based on his test scores, and dificulty of classes. However if you are looking at state schools, they (well, Ball State and IU) are just looking at class rank, and GPA.

That seems to be exactly the case. I got better scholarships going to a private college (with a 12.215 GPA and ranked 3rd) than state schools and their answer was that it would be significantly better if I was 1 or 2. I took harder classes and did well, but got less money than our 1 or 2 at a state school, both of which struggled to get in to private schools but easily got in with large scholarships to state schools.

I recommend my students to take the harder classes, they prepare you for college better, and go where you like. In the long run a good work ethic and preparation will serve them best in the long run (life).

• 2 months later...

One of the boards had a link to a nice article about Matt Todd being undefeated heading into the State Finals. I couldn't believe  what I read when it said it could be his last match ever.That was in reference to him having no offers to wrestle in college as yet. Unbelievable.

Unbelievable that a college coach isn't all over a 1X state qualifier?  Are you kidding me?  Has he placed or gone to any national tournaments the past couple years? 

College coaches go after kids that have done more than just been to state once.  They go after kids that place at national tournaments like Fargo, NHSCA Nationals, Super 32, etc.  On top of that, kids, coaches and their families must realize they need to recruit themselves sometimes.  They cannot sit and wait for college coaches to contact them.  If there is a school that they are interested in the kid needs to go to their website and fill out the recruit questionnaire.   Then a couple days later call the coach and talk to him.  Show some initiative and it will go a long way.

Speaking from experience I told a young man this fall and last spring about a college program I thought he'd be a perfect fit for.  He kept telling me "well they haven't called me, the must not be interested in me."  I told him to go and fill out the questionnaire and see what happens.  Guess what, that school is very interested in his services now and he is also very interested in going there. 

Think of how many high school seniors there are in the country and try to think like a college coach.  There is no way you can contact every kid you are interested in and its a lot easier to talk to a kid if you know from the beginning that the kid is interested in the college beforehand. 

Yes that is great but the thing is alot of parents can't afford to take thier kid to those tournies

That seems to be exactly the case. I got better scholarships going to a private college (with a 12.215 GPA and ranked 3rd) than state schools and their answer was that it would be significantly better if I was 1 or 2. I took harder classes and did well, but got less money than our 1 or 2 at a state school, both of which struggled to get in to private schools but easily got in with large scholarships to state schools.

I recommend my students to take the harder classes, they prepare you for college better, and go where you like. In the long run a good work ethic and preparation will serve them best in the long run (life).

SAT scores, high GPA, class rigor, class rank, it all plays a part.  You don't have to be ranked #1 or #2 in your class to get scholarships to state schools.  We're finding that if your kid has a very high gpa coupled with a very high SAT and they're at least in the top 10% of their class (if it's a bigh school), this opens up scholarships to the state schools.

I know for a fact that Matt Todd has had offers to wrestle at the next level.  Weather he does or not is his decision not anyone else's decision.  Although we would all like to see these kids take it to the next level.  Some of these kids are tired of having to cut weight all their lives and get pounded on forever.  Just thank your lucky stars that they want to continue their education and move on to something else in life.  There are alot of wrestlers that could move on to the next level but I commend the ones that want something else in life.  Let's face it, if you are not wanting to be a coach and God Love the Coaches and Teachers, lets not get down on a kid for wanting something different in college and life.

I have witnessed a kid in high school that went with me to my boys first wrestling match to give him support and coaching and on the way home he was doing homework because he knew what was more important.  As well as he did in wrestling that meant more to me than anything that he did on the mat. 

Yes, Matt could wrestle on the next level as well as my nephew can.  Let them make the decision...........And all of you kids that made those weeknights and weekends so enjoyable?????????  Thank You

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.